Top 5 Villains I've Seen

• Thread starter Aura Knight
  • Start date
Aura Knight

Aura Knight

Spirit of the West
Towns Folk
Hello!

I think I should try to be more social, just so people know who I am besides my Pokeumans story. I've decided to talk about my 5 most favorite villains in the games. These aren't just talking about my favorite boss battles, this is a post that takes their character and actions into consideration as well. Remember, though, some entries will go over the main antagonist, not the final boss. There is a difference between the two.

So, without further ado, let's begin!

Also, I'll be putting a spoiler with the game's title on it, so you can try to guess who the villain is before revealing it.

latest

Asgore Dreemur
The people who know me well will know that I don't give Undertale such high regard as the internet does. Despite that, there is no denying that this game is lengendary, whether you like it or not. Imagine, a simple game made by one or three people suddenly blows up all over the internet, and it just rises in popularity at a remarkable rate for an Indie game.

What made the game as it is was the cast of characters in the game. One of the most notable characters is the game's main antagonist, Asgore. All throughout the game, he sends monsters and soldiers to take your soul, so he can use it to break the barrier that traps the monsters underground after the war explained in the game's opening. When you encounter him, he has six souls at the ready, making you the last harvest.

The fight is long, with some special ACT options that further boost him as a character. When he is left with one HP, he will stop the fight, explaining that he never meant to be this way. All he wants to do is go back to his wife and child, and to not have to kill anymore kids. He then volunteers himself to have you kill him to take his soul, so you can escape. The game gives you the option to FIGHT or SPARE him.

Regardless of your choice, he dies anyway. I really like how the person who has been going after you for so long repents, and it really changes his character. Although still the game's main antagonist, I totally support him and Toriel getting back together. Maybe she will accept his plea of forgiveness like I did? Who knows?

latest

Po(r)k(e)y Minch
I do have something else to thank Undertale for, though, and that's introducing me to the MOTHER series! Porky Minch (also known as Pokey in the western translations of the games) is a character that is a good example of a person who falls from grace. While Giygas is the main antagonist for MOTHER and its sequel (known as Earthbound in western releases), there's really not much to go off him, and the internet is already going crazy over his appearance in Earthbound, so I decided to give number 4 to his second in command, and later main antagonist of MOTHER 3, Porky.

He begins as a friend of Ness, who we first meet asking him to help Porky find his younger brother, Picky. Soon, he gets caught up in the prophecy of the fate of the world, but on the other end of the spectrum. Next time we see him, he is controlled by Giygas, and leads a cult for the color blue, when that is thwarted, he snaps out of his trance, but rejects Ness. He becomes the servant of Giygas, and at the end of the game escapes through time.

He returns in MOTHER 3, leading the Pig Mask army. He looks like an old man, however, due to him messing with time. He introduces conflict to the peaceful setting, turns animals into cyborgs for fun, turns whats-his-face into a general of his army to attack his friends and family, and kills off a lot of people. He's last seen escaping into an Absolutely Safe Capsule, which is an orb that is impenetrable, and cannot be opened at all, whether it be from the inside or outside. It is absolutely safe, after all.

What I liked about this character is that he tried so hard to be friends with Ness, but them threw it all away because he believed Ness hated him. What makes it all kind of sad is that, even in MOTHER 3, he still misses Ness and considers him a friend of his. In fact, there are a lot of relics dedicated to Ness, and a movie about his adventures in Earthbound. It's kinda bittersweet.

346px-Ansem%2C_Seeker_of_Darkness_KH.png

Xehanort's Heartless (a.k.a. Ansem)
Kingdom Hearts is one of the first games I remember playing thoroughly, and everyone in my family enjoyed it! It one of my favorite series! It's one of the few games I can talk about, and my family will know what I'm saying. Plus, I like to poke fun at the fact that it's a Disney and Square Enix crossover. "So wait, does that make Cloud and Sephiroth Disney characters?" My favorite game has to be the first Kingdom Hearts game, even if it was subject to what I call "first game sloppiness".

In terms of antagonists in these games, there are really only three. Xehanort is this old guy who basically is responsible for the events that happen across the games, Xemnas is his nobody after his body got split, and his heartless. In terms of character, Xehanort and Xemnas and kind of snooze-fests. They always are taunting the heroes, but other than that, they don't really do anything.

Xehanort's heartless, on the other hand, is a different story. He is a villain I believe is one that was most involved in his plans, and did everything he could to make sure it worked. We first see him as a saggy old brown cloak in Destiny Islands, but he soon grows in power when he possesses Riku, and is responsible for most of the Disney villains and their goals, even turning Maleficent into his puppet.

His boss battles are certainly things to be reckoned with. Another reason why Xehanort and Xemnas are second-rate in my book is the fact that their battles are laughingly easy. Playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? No prob, just mash your commands. Playing Kingdom Hearts 2? Just mash the X or triangle buttons, and your good. Playing the original Kingdom Hearts? Too bad, you have no special or reaction commands to save you, and mashing the button will just get you killed.

As sloppy as the first game was, it's probably one of the only games in the series where you have to watch the patterns and triggers, and to make the correct maneuvers, or else you're creamed. Whenever you battle this guy, you need to be paying attention to what he's doing, or he's going to take you down.

I like this boss because, to put it simply, this guy scares me!

latest

Emperor Mateus

Final Fantasy II is infamous for experimenting with traditional RPG mechanics. In this game, your max health increases with the amount of damage you take, weapons have levels determining their strength, I think you had to use points to only strengthen as many points you have in stats per level up. Well, I have yet to play it (it kinda intimidates me), but someday I'll get around. But for the people that were strong enough to make it through the game met its main antagonist: Emperor Mateus.

Firstly, let me just assure you that this guys character screams persistency. He is the emperor of Palamecia, and his goal is to use the powers he gained from selling his soul to hell to conquer the world. He poisons the Dragoon clan's dragons, builds extreme weapons, and summons unimaginable demons to crush the world the the Wild Rose resistance group, which the main protagonists hail from.

The real kicker comes...when you kill him. Yeah, for a grand villain he dies unceremoniously. However, you'll notice the game is not over. He comes back, rising a castle called Pandemonium. When you confront him, he reveals that when he was killed, his soul went to hell, where he fought the devil, won, and now has the full ability to take over the world, returning as the Emperor of Hell.

The story continues if you're playing the Dawn of Souls and future remakes. It is revealed that when the Emperor was killed, his souls split into two, with his dark half sent to hell and returning as the Emperor of Hell, and his light half sent to heaven, becoming the Emperor of Heaven.

So, wait, does that mean he challenged God and won?! Oof, forget Ansem, this guy takes his cake.

Before we go on with our list, we may need to list some honorable mentions:
  • Flowey (Undertale)
  • Exdeath( Final Fantasy V)
  • Dr. Neo Cortex (Crash Bandicoot)
  • N (Pokemon Black and White)
  • Ridley (Metroid)

And now, for my number one villain...

latest

Kefka Palazzo
Oh man, did I love playing that game! Final Fantasy VI (or known as Final Fantasy III in the SNES era), is a game my dad personally recommended I play when I got my Raspberry Pi. So, I plugged it in and gave it a whirl, and boy was I in for a ride! The game had awesome music, memorable characters, great battling system, an awesome story, and an amazing villain.

What makes Kefka Palazzo so unique is his behavior. The reason I haven't put any other villain from the Final Fantasy series on this list is because they're all almost exactly the same. They're cold, calculating, and distant, making plans and observing the opposing protagonists. Kefka is the exact opposite. He's loud, destructive, and very comical. Plus, he's got an audible laugh whenever his character does, which really surprised me.

Another cool thing about Kefka that makes him unique is that he's the only Final Fantasy villain that actually wins. If that were the case for most Final Fantasy villains, the Sephiroth's meteor would have made impact long before the heroes arrive, Exdeath would have had everything return to the void, Kuja would have broken the crystal before Zidane comes around, so on and so forth.

His ultimate goal is just for destruction, and it shows throughout his actions. He burns down Figaro Castle because he just felt like it, he poisons Doma's water supply because he was bored, kills the espers, absorbs their powers, kills the empire he was serving, and destroys the world. He's so nihilistic, he believes there is no reason for love or creation, due to death and destruction around every corner. In fact, the thing that really gets me about this character is that all he wanted was to die. He was so miserable, he was wishing for death. This is reflected when you fight him the final time. When he is defeated, he just disappears. No cliche speech, no cursing, no 'I'll be back!!', he just fades away without a word, making that fight more powerful than any other boss or antagonist, which is why this clown is number 1.

And there you have it! My top 5 villains. I hope you guys enjoyed looking into my perspective for a little bit. If you want, go ahead and comment your own top 5.

See ya!

Reactions: Asriel_Dreemurr629 and Marc
Wow just wow

Totally with you on Kefka. The second half of the game really blew me away.

Fawful and Cackletta deserve to be up there too off the top of my head. Huge part of what made those games so funny.

Back