Silvally vs Eviolite Type: Null

• Thread starter Prime
  • Start date
Prime

Prime

Thunderthighs
Towns Folk
I was wondering which would be better. They have the exact same stats except for Silvally having more speed. This gives Type: Null better bulk than Silvally. I would normally go with Eviolite Type: Null, but Silvally has a more diverse movepool than Type: Null. Any help?

I've been thinking it over and here are my thoughts:
Eviolite Type: Null may have enough bulk to Swords Dance once but lacks the potential to sweep so you're likely to only get 1 or 2 Pokémon to faint. He does get Rest and Sleep Talk but if you give it both your attacking options are limited and can easily be walled, mainly by ghost types. Your best option is Iron Defense and Rest with either Eviolite or Chesto Berry but then you may be taken advantage of by special attackers so take them out first.

Silvally is better but some Pokémon may outclass him in typing or speed because they are designed to have specific duties on a team while Silvally doesn't. (Swift Swim) Kingdra is better if you want a rain team. Porygon2 is better if you want a special attacker that has a reliable recovery. But if you want Silvally then your best bet is to go with Pledge moves since a physical attacking variant is only good with SD and can easily get burned unless you give it Fire Memory.

I'm honestly surprised why they are both in PU but I never used them in battle so I don't know. Maybe because their item options are limited by their ability or speed.

Reactions: Prime
I think your analysis overlooks some fundamentals. Silvally and Null might basically have the same stats, and Silvally might have a far more diverse movepool, but Silvally is a lot like Gen 2 Kingdra, where although it actually has rather nice stats, and maybe a decent typing, being able to do everything doesn't signify that it's good at doing anything.

For that reason, it might not be better at attacking, but Null is undeniably far better than Silvally, because it can be specialized into a defensive mon. To be fair, with eviolite, it's actually far more bulky than Porygon 2, but whether or not you play it is entirely dependant on the needs of a team, and I can actually attest to Null, because I've played it a lot Gen 7.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-739368251

It's a old replay, but it's a great example. In that replay, I'm easily walling Zard Y's special sun-boosted Fire Blasts and tanking a boosted Cloyster's physical Z move with the same Null. It's notable because Zard Y is the best and hardest hitting unboosted wall breaker in OU, and Cloyster's no different, both are known to break entire teams.

It might be heavily overlooked, but I think Null might be another dark horse, and possibly one of the best ten walls in the game.

Back