RMT / Team Help 180 BP Crunch!! (A Mega Sharpedo + Talonflame Team)

• Thread starter Zukrad
  • Start date
Zukrad

Zukrad

Just spam F-Air in the neutral and hope it works.
Towns Folk
180 BP Crunch!! (A Mega Sharpedo + Talonflame OU Team)
sharpedo-mega.gif
talonflame.gif
celebi.gif
zapdos.gif
terrakion.gif
heatran.gif

Introduction

Hello everyone, Zukrad here, and here I have, my favourite team I have ever made, using my favourite core in the game Mega Sharpedo + Stallbreaker Talonflame.

Mega Sharpedo is quite underrated in the OU tier IMO, is an excellent late game sweeper, you only need to get the opposing team weakened enough and then start to sweep... this Pokémon literally can transform an 1-6 to a 1-0

If is there something that Sharpedo struggles with is Stall (and bulky Pokémon in general); since they usually don't get OHKO easily, even with Sharpedo's monstrous attack (140 Base Attack is nothing to laugh at), that's why SB Talon is such a good partner, it can defeat 1v1 stuff like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Hippodown, Defensive Landorus-T, Rocky Helmet Garchomp, Chansey, Clefable, CroCune, Skarmory, etc, all of wich are problems to Mega Sharpedo. It also deals with stuff like Breelom and Conkeldurr, wich can Mach Punch Sharpedo.

Team Goals

The goal with this team is quite simple: get the opposing team weakened enough, so you can sweep either with Mega Sharpedo, Stallbreaker Talonflame, Sword Dance Celebi or Choice Scarf Terrakion

Teambuilding Process

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
hoopa.png
klefki.png
latias.png
garchomp.png

It all started some time ago, when I watched PokeaimMD's teambuilding video of his team based around Hoopa Unbound + Talonflame, I liked the team a lot, but I wanted to use it with Sharpedo too, so I made some changes replacing Mega Blastoise for Mega Sharpedo, replacing the Talon set for a SB Talon and gived Latias Defog.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
hoopa.png
roserade.png
clefable.png
garchomp.png

After some testing I noticed that I was quite weak to set up sweepers, and I also wanted to have Grass type in my team, to complete the Fire/Water/Grass core with Shark and Talon, that's why I added to my team a Physically defensive Unaware Clefable and a Spikes Roserade.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
hoopa.png
scizor.png
clefable.png
garchomp.png

It didn't took much time until I noticed that I NEED hazard control, since one of the most importants member of my team in 4x weak to them, and Sticky Web makes harder the Sharpedo sweep, and after searching for a deffoger or spinner that could fit in my team without adding more weaknesses to my team, I decided to use Scizor, since he also helped me to not lose to Ice Fang Aerodactyl.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
raikou.png
scizor.png
clefable.png
garchomp.png

Few battles later, I discovered another threat, Thundurus, and electric types in general, have a lot of fun with my team, and Thundurus (and other Prankster T-Wave users) can stop completely the Sharpedo sweep, that's why I replaced Hoopa (wich it wasn't doing a lot for my anyways) for an Assault Vest Raikou.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
raikou.png
scizor.png
clefable.png
hippowdon.png

I noticed another weakness, Mega Charizard X snacks my team!! Once he set ups I need to fodder half of my team, since my Unaware Clef takes like 70% from Zard's Flare Blitz, and my best way to deal with it is to get him weakened enough so Talon can revenge kill it, or win some 50/50 with Sharpedo using Crunch while he Dragon Dances predicting my Protect... if Zard is a Roost variant, is GG, so to solve this problem I replaced Garchomp for Hippodown.
My team stayed like this until few days ago.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
raikou.png
celebi.png
latias.png
hippowdon.png

Few days ago, while watching 3MV33's video, I saw how he used a SD pass Celebi in a Sharpedo Team, and I loved the set, so I added it to my team, and also added Latias for Defog and Healing Wish support.

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
raikou.png
celebi.png
latias.png
terrakion.png

As you can see, I have literally no switchings to Dark type attack, that's why I swicthed my Hippodown for a Stealth Rocks Terrakion, and after getting destroyed by a Zard X, I decided to change my only Stealth Rocker for a Scarf Terrakion

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
raikou.png
celebi.png
togekiss.png
terrakion.png

And now, I have no switchings to Dragon types moves... I didn't want to lose my deffoger, so I replaced my Latias for a Rocky Helmet Togekiss

sharpedo.png
talonflame.png
celebi.png
zapdos.png
terrakion.png
heatran.png

Well, now SD Mega Scizor sweeps my team... and Sturdy Pokémon and Focus Sash users were a problem since I don't have Stealth Rocks, but I didn't want to change any of my Pokémon... if only I could fulfill two of my Pokémon roles in one... and after checking Mega Scizor counters I discovered that there was one!!
Physically Defensive Zapdos could check T-Wave users and Defog hazard away in one Pokémon, giving me a free slot for a Stealth Rocker, and after deciding that I want something to switch in Fairy moves, I choose Roar Heatran, since it also helps me with set up sweepers and is an answer to Roost Zard X!!

The Team

sharpedo-mega.gif

Gameshark (Sharpedo) (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

The monster himself, with 416 Base Attack, with Speed Boost before mega evolving, and Strong Jaw after Mega evolving, this thing can sweep teams
Waterfall and Crunch are for STAB (being Crunch the strongest move he has), Poison Jab over Ice Fang since Ice Fang can miss and does just a little bit more damage than Crunch, and Sharpedo gets walled by Fairies.
Try to use him as later as possible, after all the priority is gone (or most of them) and the bulkiest of the opposing mons are weakened enough.
The EVs are self explanatory.
talonflame.gif

Bravest Bird (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

As I just said before, SB can do a lot of work, with Will-O-Wisp, Taunt and priority healing Talonflame is the Stall worst nightmare.
The set is just a standard SB Talonfame set, but with 4 more EVs in speed so it can outspeed other Stallbreaker Talon, and also outspeed Pokemon with 95 base speed and neutral nature (Kyurem Black) and Pokémon with 81 base speed and positive nature (Gyarados).

celebi.gif

Is that an Onion? (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Celebi is the MVP of the team, the EVs + Impish nature are for maximize Celebi's physical bulk to let it take hits from the likes of Azumarill and Mega Lopunny while outspeeding Jolly Bisharp in order to Baton Pass before it uses Pursuit. It also check stuff like Keldeo and Rotom-W, wich could be a problem to handle without it.

zapdos.gif

Rock > Scizors (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Zapdos is my defoger and main switching to Physical moves and Electric attacks. The EVs and nature are to maximize Zapdos's physical bulk while outspeeding stuff like Adamant max speed Bisharp. Rocky helmet is excellent to punish Pokémon that underestimate Zapdos's physical bulk, and can out-roost Pokémon like Mega Loppuny, Banded Talonflame and non Ice Punch Medicham. Discharge over Thunderbolt for the 30% chance of paralisis with only 10 BP less

terrakion.gif

I miss BW ;_; (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Toxic

With 208 Speed investment, a Jolly nature, and a Choice Scarf, Terrakion has enough speed to outspeeds a lot of Pokémon,such as Lati@s, Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Gengar, and Thundurus. It also allows Terrakion to outspeed almost every relevant Choice Scarf user in the tier, including Garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill, Heatran, and Rotom-W, as well as all relevant Dragon Dance users at +1, such as Dragonite, Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and Mega Tyranitar. The rest goes in bulk.
Close Combat + Stone Edge are amazing, specially after Celebi passes SD to him, X-Scissors hits Lati@s, Starmie and Alakazam, while Toxic works against stuff like Landorus-T and Slowbro when they are trying to switch in!

heatran.gif

"Clicks EQ" (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

This my main switching to stuff like Lati@s and Fairy types, the EVs allow Heatran to outrun minimum Speed Suicune, Mega Venusaur, and Mandibuzz. The extra EVs are used in bulk, Lava Plume and Toxic are here to wear down the enemy, while Roar is mainly to phaze set up sweepers out.

Other Options

sharpedo.png

• You can run Jolly with EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe, so you can outspeed Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Alakazam the turn you Mega Evolve, but you NEED to batton pass Sword Dance to be a threath, the 92 HP helps you survivng some hits
talonflame.png

• You can change the EVs to 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe, this makes you faster than Jolly max Speed Landorus, to burn him before it can hit you, while mantaining a decent special bulk
  • You can change Acrobatics for Brave Bird, and give him either Leftovers or Sharp Beak
celebi.png

• You can run 252 HP / 104 Def / 44 SpD / 108 Spe with Careful Nature and give him Substitute instead of Recover or Seed Bomb, making you more susceptible to damage or Taunt, but making the Sharpedo/Talonflame/Terrakion sweep much more threatening
zapdos.png

• Giving Zapdos Leftovers instead of Rocky Helmet is always nice, you lose your ability to punish Physical attackers (something that Sharpedo appreciates a lot), but that passive recovire is something you may like to have in some situations
    • Using a 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe spread with Thunderbolt over Discharge allows you to OHKO Mega Pinsir, one of the mons that Zapdos is supposed to Check
terrakion.png

• Using a 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe spread with a Naive nature and HP Ice instead of Toxic allows you not only to outspeed Max speed Jolly Zard X at +1, but also outspeed and OHKO offensive Landorus with HP Ice, and 2HKO Defensive Landorus, Garchomp, Physically Defensive Gliscor!!! This set is quite fun to use to take down Pokemon that don't expect a Mixed Terrakion
heatran.png

• You can run Taunt over Roar to shut down hazard setters and set up sweepers

Threats

Work In progress

Past Members

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 52 Atk / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Knock Off

Klefki (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Block
- Flash Cannon

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Roserade @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Extrasensory
- Spikes

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Psychic
- Healing Wish

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Togekiss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Battle Showcase

Coming soon! Ü

Importable

Gameshark (Sharpedo) (M) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Bravest Bird (Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Is that an Onion? (Celebi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Rock > Scizors (Zapdos) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

I miss BW ;_; (Terrakion) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Toxic

"Clicks EQ" (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Conclusion

This team is really fun to play and very easy to pick up and start using!! (Specially now during the M-Sableye suspect test, since he is quite annoying for this team). Terrakion is way more usefull I thought it could be, also is my first time using Celebi in a team, and so far he has been really usefull.

Anyways, that is all. I will try to complete the "threat" list, the "other options" list and the "past members" list tomorrow.

Any suggestion is appreciated!! Thanks for reading and take care Ü

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Johnson
This is really well-put together. :3 Are you up writer for Smogon or something? :p

Anyways, nice team. I can't seem to identify any threats, except maybe Mega Tyranitar may be be hard to take down cause it has bite and eq (3 of your pokes are weak to (1x dark, 2x ground)

^ that is, if your sweepers are gone. So, it looks good :3

I cleaned the whole topic.

Enjoy your fresh start!

Reactions: Zukrad and Alex
I cleaned the whole topic.

Enjoy your fresh start!
In doing so, the likes that put me on the leaderboards disappeared ;-;

Reactions: Zukrad and 2205
Thank you!!!

And I'm sorry for figthing the other day... I wasn't in a good mood the otyer day, and it wasn't the first time that guy started to annoying me.
I ussualy try to ignore him... but...

Anyways the past is past

Also, anyone here with a better name for the team (Ideally a pun)

For your Terrakion set, doesn't it make more sense to run Rock Slide since he's fast enough to flinch things?

Not really, Terrakion is there to kill stuff, and Stone Edge does like 50% more, and the flinch chance is not that viable, is only like 30% chance of flinching, that means is a 70% of not flinching and OHKOing back

Alright. I usually run Rock Slide on things because I don't trust the accuracy of Stone Edge, but if that's why you're choosing it, that makes perfect sense.

If this is your favorite team then this is mine

Donkey (Girafarig) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Psychic
- Substitute

Puss In Boots (Espeon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Shrek (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Protect

Fiona (Nidoqueen) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave

Fairy Godmother (Togekiss) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Prince Charming (Lucario) @ Lucarionite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Iron Tail

Threats
UBERS

Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Protect

With that set, you get walled by ghost types, also why Bulk Up over Sword Dance? If you tried to have a tanky sweeper, having a Pokémon badly poisoned with bad bulk and bad recovery is not a good idea (Believe me, I tried)

Since this set looks like a Wallbreaker set (since you are using Guts over the Speed ability), You should use max speed, since the main purpose of a Wallbreaker is to outspeed what it can (mostly defensive Pokémon) and kill them or set up on them and then kill them

Shrek (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Sword Dance

Is just a recomendation, you don't need to use it if you don't want to, but I can see this set doing more work

Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Protect

With that set, you get walled by ghost types, also why Bulk Up over Sword Dance? If you tried to have a tanky sweeper, having a Pokémon badly poisoned with bad bulk and bad recovery is not a good idea (Believe me, I tried)

Since this set looks like a Wallbreaker set (since you are using Guts over the Speed ability), You should use max speed, since the main purpose of a Wallbreaker is to outspeed what it can (mostly defensive Pokémon) and kill them or set up on them and then kill them

Shrek (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb/Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Sword Dance

Is just a recomendation, you don't need to use it if you don't want to, but I can see this set doing more work
I like my Ursaring to be like ko 2 pokemon then die

I like my Ursaring to be like ko 2 pokemon then die
Then you should try Crunch + SD over Protect + Bulk Up

Would jolly nature on the talonflame work? I'm still trying to decide what to do with the one I bred, and that looks like a good set.

Would jolly nature on the talonflame work? I'm still trying to decide what to do with the one I bred, and that looks like a good set.
On this talonflame set, no

A Stallbreaker Talonflame likes to be really defensive so it can take hit that normally would OHKO/2HKO and Acrobatic/Brave Bird back

Ok. Guess I might run this set on it then:
talonflame @ choice band
jolly
gale wings
252 atk & spd, 4 hp
u turn, brave bird, flare blitz, rock slide (if it can learn that)

I think someone I battled before used this and it worked great. What he did is open with it, then imediately u turn out. Anytime I fainted one of his, out came talonflame again, and it u turns again. I'm not sure about the rest of the moves though, but I think this is the only reason he won, because talonflame was the only pokemon he had left when he beat me.

Last edited:
Ok. Guess I might run this set on it then:
talonflame @ choice band
jolly
gale wings
252 atk & spd, 4 hp
u turn, brave bird, flare blitz, rock slide (if it can learn that)

I think someone I battled before used this and it worked great. What he did is open with it, then imediately u turn out. Anytime I fainted one of his, out came talonflame again, and it u turns again. I'm not sure about the rest of the moves though, but I think this is the only reason he won, because talonflame was the only pokemon he had left when he beat me.

Honestly, I would recomend you this set instead

Jolly
252 atk/spe 4def
Sharp Beak/Salac Berry/None
-Brave Bird/Acrobatics
-Flare Blitz
-Roost/Natural Gift
-Swords Dance

The main problem with CB Talon is that, it needs more support than it gives, thanks to being 4 times weak to rocks and no healing options. Also being Choice locked in a Pokemon so naturally weak like Talon may be not the best idea, since you get checked by more stuff more easily.
Run Sharp Beak only if you are not running Brave Bird over Acrobatics, Salac Berry gives you Natural Gift Fighting, to kill T-Tar and Heatran (at +2) that try to check easily Talonflame.

That does sound a little better mainly because I forgot the rest of his team, and I didn't save the battl video from it. Might as well try it and see how it works for me. Though I'll probably use sky plate instead of sharp beak because I know I have it.

Reactions: Zukrad
So I was prepping to make an edit to that EV thread I wrote, and accidentally followed this link from there back to here. Looking back at it, I have a name suggestion for your team. What do you think of "Shark Bait?"

So I was prepping to make an edit to that EV thread I wrote, and accidentally followed this link from there back to here. Looking back at it, I have a name suggestion for your team. What do you think of "Shark Bait?"
I like it :)

I'm working in a UU versión of this team (that also works better in OU)
So I'm giving that nickname to that team

I like it :)

I'm working in a UU versión of this team (that also works better in OU)
So I'm giving that nickname to that team
Oh, that's the best, it's always nice when a really good team has solid equivalents in another tier and translates back easily. I wish you the best with that. Good luck.

Back