3DS On Top As Wii U Remains Highest Selling Home Console in Japan

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Nintendolife.com:
The latest Media Create chart results for Japan are in, and they continue the trends established over recent week in terms of hardware and software. There are certainly yet more positives for Nintendo, albeit against a backdrop of modest overall industry sales in the company's homeland.

The software chart is rather uneventful this week, with Vita title Freedom Wars enjoying its second week on top. The ongoing positive is Level-5's Yo-kai Watch in second place, which continues to show impressive momentum ahead of the sequel's arrival; Mario Kart 8 continues to deliver reasonable sales too, sitting in fourth place and passing half a million physical retail sales. The results are below with lifetime sales in brackets.

1. [PSV] Freedom Wars – 43,160 (232,048)
2. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch – 28,933 (1,176,134)
3. [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu’s Space-Time Great Adventure – 24,412 (77,508)
4. [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 – 19,386 (512,223)
5. [PS4] Watch Dogs – 12,783 (78,378)
6. [PS3] Watch Dogs – 12,656 (43,684)
7. [PS3] Kamen Rider: Battride War II – 10,651 (73,300)
8. [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy – 10,003 (56,456)
9. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen – 7,607 (144,500)
10. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V Low Price Version – 5,717 (12,448)
11. [3DS] Pro Evolution Soccer 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen – 5,703 (62,446)
12. [PS4] FIFA 14 – 5,065 (58,878)
13. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth – 4,996 (242,375)
14. [3DS] Pokemon X and Y – 4,595 (4,097,248)
15. [PS3] Date A Live: Ars Install – 4,383 (14,086)
16. [PSV] Girls und Panzer: Master the Tankery – 4,016 (35,542)
17. [PS4] Akiba’s Trip: Undead & Undressed – 3,602 (New)
18. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 – 3,327 (3,304,016)
19. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour – 3,305 (404,211)
20. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 – 3,214 (2,346,622)

The hardware results also bring a continuation of the norm, with minor dips and increases across different systems. The 3DS LL has a healthier lead than last week due to the Vita falling away a little, while the Wii U remains the best-selling home console — unfortunately Nintendo's system has dipped back into four figures. Details are below with last week's sales in brackets.

3DS LL – 21,914 (22,803)
PlayStation Vita – 18,438 (22,192)
Wii U – 9,961 (10,653)
PlayStation 4 – 7,876 (8,059)
PlayStation 3 – 7,511 (7,480)
3DS – 5,424 (5,081)
PlayStation Vita TV – 2,217 (2,727)
PSP – 1,579 (1,445)
Xbox 360 – 180 (201)
Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...remains_highest_selling_home_console_in_japan
What do you guys think? Are the Wii U/3DS selling enough, or should they be given more attention? let me know in the replies down below.

Well, since I have the numbers, I can tell that there's no need to worry for the 3DS. Last week, she sold over 25k units (rounded it), at the point where some websites gave her the title of the "Invincible 3DS". As for the WiiU, she sells a good number of units, but, as you can expect, the Japan is mostly a place where mobile phones/handhelds rules the video game market, so, that's why I can say that she sells pretty well (~7k last week, beating the PS4, the PS3, the PSP and the Xbox 360).

Unless Sony decides to do something big for Japanese Players (who punished Sony, explaining why the PS4 doesn't sell well there), we can expect the WiiU to keep the 1st place (when it comes to home consoles, of course) for a while.

Well, since I have the numbers, I can tell that there's no need to worry for the 3DS. Last week, she sold over 25k units (rounded it), at the point where some websites gave her the title of the "Invincible 3DS". As for the WiiU, she sells a good number of units, but, as you can expect, the Japan is mostly a place where mobile phones/handhelds rules the video game market, so, that's why I can say that she sells pretty well (~7k last week, beating the PS4, the PS3, the PSP and the Xbox 360).

Unless Sony decides to do something big for Japanese Players (who punished Sony, explaining why the PS4 doesn't sell well there), we can expect the WiiU to keep the 1st place (when it comes to home consoles, of course) for a while.
I see. It's good that Nintendo is getting most of the attention in Japan. It's a shame that a lot of people in NA/Europe take Nintendo's games like they are made for 5-year olds.
I know that the 3DS will not stop selling for a very long time, particularly until the game library dies out.

I see. It's good that Nintendo is getting most of the attention in Japan. It's a shame that a lot of people in NA/Europe take Nintendo's games like they are made for 5-year olds.
I know that the 3DS will not stop selling for a very long time, particularly until the game library dies out.

Well, in my opinion, the true problem with most of the people in NA/EU is that they base themselves way too much on graphics. So, they go with Sony or Microsoft.

But actually, going with them right now (they might have a better library later) is a mistake, if you take a look at the X1 and the PS4's libraries... And even with this, most of their games are cross-platform games or simply portages of previous-gen games.

That's also why there's people in France suggesting that the best deal for this generation is a WiiU and a good PC. I agree with them, to be honest. The WiiU had a painful start, but now, she has a decent library, and she's starting to get back the tiers' trust. Slowly, but surely.

That is why people in Japan generally think twice before buying a console. They look at the games, or should I say the gameplay of these games, not the graphics. And also, forgot to mention it, it's normal that the Vita and the 3DS sell well in Japan. It's because most of the Japanese people take the bus/metro to go to work/home. Thus, they use handhelds/mobile devices in order to have an occupation.

Sorry if that sounds long to read.

Reactions: 532
Well, in my opinion, the true problem with most of the people in NA/EU is that they base themselves way too much on graphics. So, they go with Sony or Microsoft.

But actually, going with them right now (they might have a better library later) is a mistake, if you take a look at the X1 and the PS4's libraries... And even with this, most of their games are cross-platform games or simply portages of previous-gen games.

That's also why there's people in France suggesting that the best deal for this generation is a WiiU and a good PC. I agree with them, to be honest. The WiiU had a painful start, but now, she has a decent library, and she's starting to get back the tiers' trust. Slowly, but surely.

That is why people in Japan generally think twice before buying a console. They look at the games, or should I say the gameplay of these games, not the graphics. And also, forgot to mention it, it's normal that the Vita and the 3DS sell well in Japan. It's because most of the Japanese people take the bus/metro to go to work/home. Thus, they use handhelds/mobile devices in order to have an occupation.

Sorry if that sounds long to read.
That sure is true. Most Sony fanboys say that graphics are all what matter in a game, and that is generally not true.
People in the States/Europe spend most of the time at home, therefore leading to more console sales.

Reactions: Reece and D4rkDragon
I totally agree with you two on the graphics topic! I honestly think (IMO) the reason why the Wii U is selling so well in Japan is because they have a better "taste" in gaming than US/EU players, who only base there thoughts on graphics and console specs.. I don't know, the games Nintendo creates holds some sort of innocence to them, that every one could play. Let's take Splatoon, that's a game that I'm POSITIVE every single age-group could play and enjoy. I love their innovative ideas and I'm glad to see the Wii U doing so well over there.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
USA players like following the mainstream choice most of the time. Japanese gamers just pick whatever appeals to them and what they can enjoy with friends. The 3DS right now is a big success for Nintendo and will only continue to sell more units. The Wii U, on the other hand, is suffering from a lack of games. Third- parties have pretty much abandoned it and first- party games can't come out as frequently as we'd like. Hopefully the Wii U can sell a decent number of units, but it will be hard to turn its fortunes around.

USA players like following the mainstream choice most of the time. Japanese gamers just pick whatever appeals to them and what they can enjoy with friends. The 3DS right now is a big success for Nintendo and will only continue to sell more units. The Wii U, on the other hand, is suffering from a lack of games. Third- parties have pretty much abandoned it and first- party games can't come out as frequently as we'd like. Hopefully the Wii U can sell a decent number of units, but it will be hard to turn its fortunes around.

Don't count on Ubisoft. They are always betraying Nintendo simply because they want to. Where are the exclusivities they promised us ? On the other hand, the WiiU's getting a big help from indie developers, and that's better than supposed-to-be-making-AAA-games companies (*Doing Luigi's Death Stare At Activision and companies like that*)

And finally, though it's a small part, region lock. Many users in France don't want to go with the WiiU because they want more choice. Region Lock is a pain for them (for me as well), as they know they won''t be able to import games fro US/Japan. Believe me, French people import games way more than what you think (especially Japanese ones)!

So, the WiiU and the 3DS are an huge success in general (especially in Japan, where I can say: Nintendomination), if they were to pull off the Region Lock, the sales would increase a bit more. And, screw companies like Activision if they don't like the way these two consoles work. Count on the Indie Developers instead, better games for way cheaper.

Don't count on Ubisoft. They are always betraying Nintendo simply because they want to. Where are the exclusivities they promised us ? On the other hand, the WiiU's getting a big help from indie developers, and that's better than supposed-to-be-making-AAA-games companies (*Doing Luigi's Death Stare At Activision and companies like that*)

And finally, though it's a small part, region lock. Many users in France don't want to go with the WiiU because they want more choice. Region Lock is a pain for them (for me as well), as they know they won''t be able to import games fro US/Japan. Believe me, French people import games way more than what you think (especially Japanese ones)!

So, the WiiU and the 3DS are an huge success in general (especially in Japan, where I can say: Nintendomination), if they were to pull off the Region Lock, the sales would increase a bit more. And, screw companies like Activision if they don't like the way these two consoles work. Count on the Indie Developers instead, better games for way cheaper.

The Wii U is doing well in Japan and the 3DS is just dominant worldwide. It's in the West where the Wii U is struggling against the PS4 (not really the XBox One). I think Nintendo is doing a great job of encouraging indie game developers to develop games for the eShop on both the 3DS and Wii U. Region Lock is a bit annoying, but I think the majority of people who want a 3DS will buy it regardless of region lock. Disabling it would be great, and I honestly don't see why Nintendo would enable it in the first place. I guess it will be up to Nintendo to figure out how to drive the Wii U forward. They've got some good assets and resources so I am confident they'll be able to pull something off.

Back