SwSh 5* solo max raid tips... for people having a hard time

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
im guessing there are still atf least a moderate amount of people having trouble with solo *5 raids. to be honest i also did for a bit longer than id like to admit, notably with g max drednaw and G max snorlax and for almost everyone the reason is always the same (or almost always): repeated AI deaths, from double wipes to completely pitiful/ absolute trash triple wipes all in one turn or two turns. every max raid fail i have is because of the poor computation/ coding of the AI so if anyone would understand why theyre such a problem i know for sure i would. i have a friend who also raged a bit for the same reasons i have here from time to time. ive built a bit more tolerance for it personally since i do these so much, but even i still get a bit frustrated here.

unfortunately there is a certain amount of luck trying to win these solo. i have had the AI die in excess prematurely on something thats tecnhically easy otherwise like a 5* golurk. because of the double barriers that are always present in 5* max raids, there is a lot more room for them to die too much by the time the second barrier series is either depleted or the moment it appears during battle. competitive players probably know ways around this even with the rng and luck margins on both AI partners and the enemy pokemon and i also do from looking into competitive aspects as something for fun post game. i cant stress enough how immensely helpful this is when it comes to 5* max raids. while it may not be perfect, it should be mostly close to it when it comes to solos.

i would recommend battle tower farming for bp and get your bottle caps (possibly some golden ones if you go long enough racking up wins) and get those vitamins to EV train as well. i dont want to pad this post with all the nitty-gritty so to speak, so i suggest to either google it or check the competitive section here to understand how this stuff works. apart from building competitive mons, i advise making sure you are lv 100 or as close to this as possible for a number of reasons: the AI pokemon will cap at lv 70 if your chosen pokemon is lv 100. even with max level pokemon they still can die easily here because of more than likely poor stats and certain poor choices. on the other hand, they never use items to heal and unfortunately you cant use yours on them either (this sucks not gonna lie). and as you can likely imagine or realize from experience, theyre inevitably getting one shotted by the enemy dynamax pokemon being any lower. their overall damage potential is already weak to begin with and being lower levelled makes them even more useless than they easily already are at max level.

Some items like leftovers and rocky helmets can also help, but unfortunately we cant use moves like grass knot or low kick. i have tried this several times and it never worked which really sucks when im using ferrothorn against g max drednaw (this has been the most problematic one for me). pokemon i recommend are zacian, eternatus, and sylvally. for shield players youll probably have to use zamzeta instead of zacian so i dont know how good he is here, but all i can say is try him and stat cap him as soon as you can to up your defense/ damage. if the enemy is too strong attacker or special attacker id use ferrothorn or toxapex to avoid repeated heals or increased deaths. make sure ferrothorn has giga drain to health sponge and still do damage here as well, i believe there is a tm for this so no breeding redos required here.

i hope the above helps anyone having general problems with 5* raids, it took me a lot of work and looking around for hints but i do a lot better with these ideas than i had when i first beat the game. a side note, i hear heal pulse works as a solution to the death problems on the AI but be warned that i believe this will also heal the enemy... do at your own risk i suppose =P

Although this method wont work with the main offenders of this like drednaw and sandaconda, 5* mons who use solely normal and fighting moves can be cheesed through the use of Trick-or-Treat, a move that adds the ghost typing to another mon. Add it to the AI and you're good to go.
You could also use soak on the AI in drednaw raids to set their typing to only water, allowing them to resist water moves and take neutral hits against rock moves. Although it removes stab on super effective electric, grass, and ground moves, it could be pretty useful.
Other moves with similar effects like Forest's Curse (trevenant line exclusive) which adds the grass typing, can be used in appropriate situations to resist attacks of certain dynamaxed enemies.

Reactions: Kadaj
Although this method wont work with the main offenders of this like drednaw and sandaconda, 5* mons who use solely normal and fighting moves can be cheesed through the use of Trick-or-Treat, a move that adds the ghost typing to another mon. Add it to the AI and you're good to go.
You could also use soak on the AI in drednaw raids to set their typing to only water, allowing them to resist water moves and take neutral hits against rock moves. Although it removes stab on super effective electric, grass, and ground moves, it could be pretty useful.
Other moves with similar effects like Forest's Curse (trevenant line exclusive) which adds the grass typing, can be used in appropriate situations to resist attacks of certain dynamaxed enemies.
thank you for the feedback/ improvements, i should probably try this at some point myself. Though changing sylvally's type seems adequate enough overall for me this is probably better and safer with the 5* ultra sweepers like the g max drednaw you mentioned and also that dang snorlax which is also one of the hardest 5* raids ive encountered. wouldnt be bad to have both these things in commission tho for sure especially for this annoying duo

Back