A Beginner's Guide to Understanding Entry Hazards

• Thread starter CrazyElf
  • Start date
CrazyElf

CrazyElf

Apart of Santa's Workshop
Towns Folk
What are Entry-Hazards?
Entry-Hazards are a battlefield effect that affects the opponent's Pokemon in some way as they send out their Poke Ball. They can cause damage, status conditions, or lower stats. If a Pokemon is already in a battle when an Entry-Hazard is set up, than it won't be affected.

Entry-Hazards are a popularly used in competitive battling, because they come in very handy when it comes to damaging the opponent's HP or stats.

What are all the known Entry-Hazards as of G6?

The known Entry-Hazards in XY are:
  • Spikes: A Ground-type move that damages incoming opponents.This move does not affect Levitating or Flying-type Pokemon. The damage that is given through Spikes is determined through the amount of layers you/your opponent places.
1 Layer of Spikes can inflict 1/8 of the opponent's Maximum HP (roughly 12.5% HP damaged)
2 Layers of Spikes can inflict 1/6 of the opponent's Maximum HP (roughly 16.67% HP damaged)
3+ Layers of Spikes can inflict 1/4 of the opponent's Maximum HP (roughly 25% HP damaged)

It is possible for the user/opponent to dispel the Spikes by using the move Rapid Spin, and Defog.
  • Toxic Spikes: A Poison-type move that inflicts a Poison Condition on incoming opponents. This move does not affect Flying-type Pokemon, Steel-type Pokemon, Poison-type Pokemon, or Levitating Pokemon. The damage that is given through Toxic Spikes (Poison Condition) is determined through the amount of layers you/your opponent places.
1 Layer of Toxic Spikes can inflict the opponent with a Poison Condition
2+ Layers of Toxic Spikes can inflict the opponent with a Badly Poison Condition

It is possible for the user/opponent to dispel the Toxic Spikes by using the move Rapid Spin, Defog, and sending out a Poison-type Pokemon.
  • Stealth Rocks: A Rock-type move that damages incoming opponents. This move can affect all Pokemon. The damage that is given through Stealth Rocks is rather unique. Instead of placing an amount of layers, the damage is determined by the opponent's weakness.
x0.25 Effectiveness damages the opponent by 1/32 of the Maximum HP (roughly 3.125% HP damaged)
x0.5 Effectiveness damages the opponent by 1/16 of the Maximum HP (roughly 6.25% HP damaged)
x1 Effectiveness damages the opponent by 1/8 of the Maximum HP (roughly 12.5% HP damaged)
x2 Effectiveness damages the opponent by 1/4 of the Maximum HP (roughly 25% HP damaged)
x4 Effectiveness damages the opponent by 1/2 of the Maximum HP (roughly 50% HP damaged)

It is possible for the user/opponent to dispel the Spikes by using the move Rapid Spin, and Defog.

How should each of these Entry Hazards be used?
  • Spikes: These hazards are recommended for Stall Teams, where the damage from hazards are the primary method of hurting Pokemon. This hazard is usually in conjunction with phazing moves such as Roar or Whirlwind that forces the opponent to switch out.
  • Toxic Spikes: These hazards are also recommended for Stall Teams. Having most of the opponent's Pokemon poisoned or badly poisoned can break the team's core or chance to stall. Toxic Spikes can also be used on Offensive Teams, as they can break Walls and such.
  • Stealth Rocks: These hazards are recommended for Offensive Teams, as these battles are fast and intense, where there will be lots of switching going on. With lots of the switching going on, the user can easily damage the opponent's switch-ins, and wear down the opponent's team to the point where you can finally sweep. Stealth Rocks should always find a spot in your team.
  • Sticky Webs: These hazards are recommended for Stall Teams and Offensive Teams, basically. They can be decent in Mono-type and Weather Teams, too. Trick-Room Team won't cut it, though. Anyways, Sticky Webs are good to use, as they can cripple the opponent's Speed. The Speed control is very nice to have. They can ruin the Speed of a setup Pokemon, a fast sweeper, a Scarfed Pokemon, and more. This move can make a huge difference over the course in a battle, when the opponent's Pokemon relies on outspeeding the other Pokemon.
Note: Entry Hazards should always be set up as soon as possible (which would most likely be the first move of a Dedicated Lead or the game) in order to reach the maximum amount of effectiveness.

I understand that this is not the best guide around, but it still helps beginners understand the use of Entry-Hazards, yes?

Reactions: Blaze-iken and Kyubey
I love entry hazards but I hate it when they are used againest me even though it isn't a huge threat to my team, I still keep a rapid spinner and sometimes defogger because I often switch out/in a lot. But I just <3 it when Charitzard switches in into my Ferrothorn >: )

Dampe's gonna hate me, the dead won't sleep tonight...

I think it's also fair to note that if you predict the opponent using an entry hazard move, you can switch into a 'mon with Magic Bounce in order to reflect that move back at the team, which could pretty much mess up their game plan to begin with. Some Magic Bouncers I like are Espeon, Mega Sableye, and Mega Absol. I personally feel that Mega Sableye is probably the better option of the two because it's pretty defensive and it's typing is amazing, only having a Fairy Weakness.

Back