• Thread starter Iso Kilo
  • Start date

Make new 'Classics' or keep the existing elements

• Total voters
Iso Kilo

Iso Kilo

Sonic 1 Hacker
Towns Folk
In now days Nintendo are making games like Mario 3D Land and LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, but honestly in my opinion they just look weird trying to look like how the classic looked, but because of the high quality of games in these days it's odd to look at what seemed normal back on SNES, NES and Gameboy, but going all classic with a franchise can be okay if you use the already existing elements such as design, what do you guys think?

Do you mean the 'retro' look that so many games horseshoe into their visuals these days, and similar stuff (8-bit sound effects)? Yeah. It's pretty cheap to try too hard to induce nostalgia when older games did it because of technical limitations, not because they wanted to remind the player of great days gone by. You know how all those inspirational movies tell you how to live in the now? I wish retro-digging devs would do that with their games. And if a game does it as a parody or as a genuine love letter to the past generations of gaming, like Retro City Rampage, it can be great; most games fail to pull that off though and feel like they're relying on the player to think 'I'm playing my SNES again' instead of say 'OK, this game is lacking some basic gameplay elements.' If I wanted to feel like I was playing a SNES game, I'd actually play one.

IMO, a classic is a game that inspires many rip-offs which lack the X factor that made the original game so great. It isn't about the design being retro or modern. It's disappointing when retro games are promoted with lazy taglines like, 'Enjoy classic [insert genre-defining game here] gameplay!'

Oh right. Because it's a game from an old generation that really did well... A classic! :wtf:
(A little tired of that word being carelessly thrown around these days.)

In now days Nintendo are making games like Mario 3D Land and LoZ: A Link Between Worlds, but honestly in my opinion they just look weird trying to look like how the classic looked, but because of the high quality of games in these days it's odd to look at what seemed normal back on SNES, NES and Gameboy, but going all classic with a franchise can be okay if you use the already existing elements such as design, what do you guys think?
While I may agree with the fact that LoZ: A Link Between Worlds have some relation with A Link to the Past (psst, look at the Japanese names' romajis. Lazy ? Well, here you go: ALBW -> Kamigami no Triforce 2, ALTTP -> Kamigami no Triforce), I doubt Super Mario 3D Land was designed with Super Mario Land in mind. I think that (it's an assumption), since there was going to be Super Mario 3D World on Wii U later (but hey, dev teams might meet each other and have some talk during breaks, so...), they just decided to use the Land world, maybe because it's "smaller" than World.

Otherwise, about your poll, I think it's ok to make Classics if those games were part of Nintendo's history (as in, successful games) that many people missed. But they should just pay caution not to abuse it.

D4rkDragon I was trying to say SM3DL is trying to replecate SMB3.

I honestly don't think SMB3 is like SM3DL imo. Just because it has certain elements of smb3 like the tanooki leaf and the airships, I'd say it borrows from all 3 original smbs and adds more to it.

Honestly you can not make new classics like The Legend Of Zelda they have so many classics Nintendo doesn't change them with there new graphics they get they don't change the old ones they improve with the new ones that get made

Honestly you can not make new classics like The Legend Of Zelda they have so many classics Nintendo doesn't change them with there new graphics they get they don't change the old ones they improve with the new ones that get made
It's just that the newer graphics make them look weird but when they were on the SNES or NES they looked normal

its evolution in graphic design, of cource nothing is gonna look the same every time, yeah things can look weird, but just like games, people need to let there views evolve as well

Back