A Guide to IVs/EVs

• Thread starter ShinyLatios
  • Start date
ShinyLatios

ShinyLatios

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
This may have been covered on another thread but I couldn't find it through some searches, so I'm just putting this in a convenient location to help others learn about this.
“I see now that the circumstances of ones birth are irrelevant. it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are” LOL NOPE MEWTWO. While IVs don't matter too much in the main story of the game, in competitive battling it's very important to have pokemon with good IVs because many competitive battlers will breed for perfect IVs to bring out killing machines. For info on how to breed those perfect pokemon, Nanamine's got you covered here.
Effort Values (EVs) are what a pokemon gains through effort. Who would have known? Each pokemon has a certain EV yield that they give to a pokemon that defeats them. The max amount of EVs a pokemon can have for a particular stat is 255 and the max amount of total EVS is 510. A pokemon will gain +1 in a stat for every 4 EVs invested in that stat. With this in mind, you should never go above investing 252 in a given stat because the extra 3 would be a waste. With many pokemon, an EV spread of investing 252 each for two stats and the remaining 6 in another stat is often a really good strategy to go for. There are exceptions of course where dividing the EVs can prove advantageous.

When it comes to EV training and maximizing the potential of your pokemon it's important that you don't defeat pokemon randomly. Doing so can screw up the EV training. Also, DON'T USE THE EXP SHARE BECAUSE IT COULD SCREW UP THE EVS FOR THE ENTIRE PARTY. Based on past experiences, I believe that EXP share will also pass EV yields as well as experience, so be careful (you wouldn't want to have to find/use reset bags a lot now would you?). If you're starting from an IV bred pokemon, my recommendation is to EV train it exactly as you want to before you level it up. That way, the leveling up won't screw the IVs. Another option is to use Vitamins, but you can only use them a limited amount of times. Info on that can be seen here

On a side note, Pokerus will double the EV yields from battle so it can prove really advantageous if done right. This Serebii section can give advice on which specific wild pokemon to defeat to gain EVs fast

Last edited:
Back