• Thread starter Mosky3000
  • Start date
Mosky3000

Mosky3000

Nintendo Network ID: Mosky30000
Towns Folk
Today's Game: Donkey Kong (1981)

250px-Donkey_Kong_NES_Cover.PNG

Donkey Kong was an arcade game that launched Nintendo's popularity to the sky, and is also the first game where Mario and Donkey Kong appear.
In this game you play as "Jumpman" (Mario's original name), a carpenter (Mario's original job), who is trying to save his girlfriend Pauline (Originaly known as "Lady") who was kidnapped by the evil ape "Donkey Kong".

371px-464px-DonkeyKongArcade.jpg

Donkey Kong was created when Shigeru Miyamoto, under the supervision of Gunpey Yokoi (Creator of Metroid and the original Gameboy), was assigned to conver Radar Scope, a poorly selling arcade into a game with more appeal to american gamers.

Shigeru_Miyamoto.jpg

Shigeru Miyamoto, the man behind Donkey Kong.
In 1982, Universal Studios sued Nintendo, claiming that Donkey Kong infringed in King Kong's intellectual property rights. Nintendo's attorney, John Kirby, showed that Nintendo didn't infringed any copyright laws, but also that King Kong was in the public domain. Universal had to pay Nintendo $1.8 million in legal fees.
After Nintendo's victory, John Kirby was awarded with a sailboat called "Donkey Kong", and gave him the rights to use the name for sailboats.

Donkey Kong has been ported to many consoles incluiding the NES, GBA, Game & Watch, Atari 2600, and the Wii/Wii U/3DS Virtual Console.
537px-ClassicNES_DK.jpg

The game has four sequels, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong II for the Game & Watch, Donkey Kong 3 and Donkey Kong for the Gameboy.

That was all for today, but next time we'll talk about more Nintendo History. See ya next time! :)

Reactions: Moon Rain and Kyubey
nintendo used to make cards before games

@meman that is true, but came to video games as it wasn't doing very well. I think they did much better at making consoles then making cards back then. But now they make pokemon cards, I used to play that game all the time and had 500 plus cards of kanto region and jhoto. Now I look at these new cards and I don't even know the pokemon on the metal tin... Anyone else notice this?

nintendo used to make cards before games
Yes, Nintendo started out in 1889 and made cards called "Hanafuda".

Back