Advice for a noob.

• Thread starter nicklesimba
  • Start date
nicklesimba

nicklesimba

New Kid from Dreamland
Towns Folk
Hey all, I recently got into monster hunter and its loads of fun. I'm on the mission "playing with fire" and I'm supposed to kill the qurupeco, but it keeps killing me.
So I go for the great jaggi first, and I only get hit enough that it doesn't matter. But then once I go after the qurupeco, it just flies away and rests every time it's weak, which eventually wears me out and I die/run out of time. Do I need to stock up on paintballs? Get a stronger weapon? I'm just stuck and I'd appreciate any help, thanks!!

What is your current weapon/equipment? Make sure you are not weak to its Fire attack. Save enough Paintballs to make sure its location when fleeing - and yes, don't let it rest (because it will replenish its health).

I was a Dual Blade user back then, and as I remember, I forged a Dual Blade from Great Jaggi. Learn about Qurupeco's attack pattern to avoid its fire attack.

And yes, be patient.

Don't let yourself die on the way.

and sorry for this melancholic reply :oops:

Reactions: nicklesimba
Trapping it would speed things up, too. Plus you'll get better rewards for doing that.

Well, there's another quest for that, but @Raptor98 is true -- you can trap qurupeco in "slaying quest".

But it's harder :oops:

That's why, try to slay the monster first before catching it.

Well, if it falls asleep, trap it before it wakes up. Otherwise don't risk it until you know its patterns better.

But the trap will fail if the monster isn't weaken enough, I think.

What is your current weapon/equipment? Make sure you are not weak to its Fire attack. Save enough Paintballs to make sure its location when fleeing - and yes, don't let it rest (because it will replenish its health):oops:
I'm using a "commander's knife" which is a sword/shield (heard that's good for beginners). I'm okay at dodging the fire attack because while its dangerous, its mostly predictable. So I guess I shouldn't waste a paintball on the great jaggi: I was only supplied with two. And how are the rewards better if you trap?

Instead of being able to carve, you'll get more rewards at the end of the quest (more items). It all depends on what you need, since some items come better from carving while others have a better chance of appearing as a reward after capturing. As others have mentioned, bring some traps. You don't have to capture it, just trap it and deal as much damage as you can before it breaks free. Other than that, just keep at it. Try to upgrade your weapon if you can. SnS isn't best for DPS, so if you think you need more damage try crafting a DS or a GS. It all depends on your playstyle.

If the monster is sleeping, it is weak enough, if it is limping, it is weak enough. Its rather simple to tell when to cap unless you're new (like nickle is), but even then, a sleeping monster is pretty obvious.

Thanks for all the help! I got better at telling the great jaggi's attacks and took it out easily, and I trapped the qurupeco! Really appreciate the advice, guys.

And @sodajet I've gotten pretty used to SnS now so I'll probably stick with it. Is there any benefit to attacking with the shield vs the sword? The one gripe I have with MH is that there aren't very detailed weapon instructions lol.

Reactions: dwikrid
Congratulations, @nicklesimba! You deserve it! Well, there are ups and downs in every weapon - if you're already used to sword and shield, just go with it.

My own choice is Dual Blade, and I'm fine with it. So (aside from strength/weakness of the weapon), it's about preference :3

Yes, the advantage is its balanced between offense, defense, and speed. Its not gonna block any really strong moves, though, so get used to Evading. At this point of the game, blocking would be fine, just warning you for later in the game.

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I have a (sort of) question. If I die once on a hunt, is that considered "failing"? I mean I know I get three tries but what does the community generally think about it? Because the Barroth was kicking my butt (mission: leading the charge) and I'd get it super weak but then it would corner me and keep headbutting and I would get dizzy and die. So after like ten attempts I was like "eff it" and continued after I died. Sure enough I killed it right after I got out of camp. :p

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I have a (sort of) question. If I die once on a hunt, is that considered "failing"? I mean I know I get three tries but what does the community generally think about it? Because the Barroth was kicking my butt (mission: leading the charge) and I'd get it super weak but then it would corner me and keep headbutting and I would get dizzy and die. So after like ten attempts I was like "eff it" and continued after I died. Sure enough I killed it right after I got out of camp. :p

Well, it depends on your rank. If you have a low rank online, it may be accepted, but avoid to faint if you can. Fainting once is acceptable, especially on hard quests or because you didn't even got the chance to escape an attack (at least, my conscience says so, but some people absolutely want a "No-Death" clear + I hate being dizzy too in-game).

Also, don't forget to upgrade your armours/weapons if you haven't done it ;).

Thanks, and another question. I'm planning on getting a Wii U (eventually) and I'd want to get mh3u for it as well, mainly for multiplayer. Does the cross play require that all 3ds owners have the game? Because otherwise multiplayer is restricted to just me and someone using the gamepad. I know that online will be fine though. :D

Thanks, and another question. I'm planning on getting a Wii U (eventually) and I'd want to get mh3u for it as well, mainly for multiplayer. Does the cross play require that all 3ds owners have the game? Because otherwise multiplayer is restricted to just me and someone using the gamepad. I know that online will be fine though. :D

Cross-play require all the users to have a copy of MH3U. So it'll require one copy per 3DS.

Darn.

Back