Advice for getting into video game development

• Thread starter Largoe818
  • Start date
Largoe818

Largoe818

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
What's the best advice you can give to someone that's saying that they want to get into game developement?

Don't expect an easy job.

Don't expect an easy job.
This, and don't go for something 'too big', otherwise, you're guaranteed to run into a wall.
Also, think about optimizing you game once the main code is "done", so, your game will run faster, and users will appreciate it.

The first step is to learn how to code. I would say that you should be fluent in at least 2 coding languages and STILL learning other languages. If you already know that however, I would get the software "Unity 3D." I own this software, and used YouTube tutorials to teach me a little bit about it. HOWEVER it is still one of the most complicated softwares ive ever used. Here is the link to Unity. Feel free to do some research on this software! You can make both 3d and 2d games, anything you can imagine, thats what i love about it :D
Unity 3D link: http://unity3d.com

The first step is to learn how to code. I would say that you should be fluent in at least 2 coding languages and STILL learning other languages. If you already know that however, I would get the software "Unity 3D." I own this software, and used YouTube tutorials to teach me a little bit about it. HOWEVER it is still one of the most complicated softwares ive ever used. Here is the link to Unity. Feel free to do some research on this software! You can make both 3d and 2d games, anything you can imagine, thats what i love about it :D
Unity 3D link: http://unity3d.com

Don't start with Unity, please. Of course it's a powerful environment, but, it has way too many things that aren't included and that you need to pay for, not to mention how confusing the editor is.

Also, the IDE shipped with it runs slower than other IDEs. (If said user still wants to use Unity, VS2015 Community Edition is free and support it though)

But I agree with the Learn-To-Code part. Start with something like C, C++, C#, Java, D (Kinda like C++), or JavaScript/HTML5 in the case where you're planning to make a web game.

Reactions: TheYESDragon and amirally27
But I agree with the Learn-To-Code part. Start with something like C, C++, C#, Java, D (Kinda like C++), or JavaScript/HTML5 in the case where you're planning to make a web game.
Seconded. Far as I know Java gets taught in a lot of high school programming classes, so it must be a pretty accessible language. C++ is industry standard, so if not now you'll have to pick it up at some point.
Edit: April? Hope you're well on your way to programming mastery by now, OP.

Reactions: TheYESDragon, amirally27 and D4rkDragon
This topic is old so the user who asked the question isn't here anymore, but I'll still answer.

It depends on which job you want to do. "Game development" is quite broad.

Not everything is about coding and not every job requires to code. Do you want to be a coder, an artist, a tester, a producer, an animator, a translator, a... the list goes on.

If you want to work in a big company, find something you're really good at and try to be the best at this thing. If you want to work in a smaller company, try to be good in everything, but being the best won't give you a job in a small company unless you can be good enough in other areas as well.

Areas where it's easier to find a job would be programmer and rigger. Tester as well, but it's hard to keep your job.

Reactions: TheYESDragon, amirally27 and D4rkDragon
Don't start with Unity, please. Of course it's a powerful environment, but, it has way too many things that aren't included and that you need to pay for, not to mention how confusing the editor is.

Also, the IDE shipped with it runs slower than other IDEs. (If said user still wants to use Unity, VS2015 Community Edition is free and support it though)

There is a free version of unity, the paid version is for making professional games such as "Diablo" or "Shadows of Mordor."

The paid version of unity is for developing complex games, thats my point. But I do have to agree that Unity isnt the first thing you should start with, my mistake. Its just where I started, which was not easy at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheYESDragon and D4rkDragon
Back