Alphadream, Creators of Mario & Luigi, are Bankrupt

• Thread starter Danominator
  • Start date
Danominator

Danominator

Professional Goof
Towns Folk
Well, this ain't good. Alphadream has filed for bankruptcy.

This may be due to the Bowser's Inside Story Remake being so rushed and selling so poorly, or because of their many investments into mobile games and future Switch titles. Either way, the Mario & Luigi series is in trouble because of this. This situation could go a few directions...

1. Someone (Nintendo probably) could come to their rescue and bring them back, or at least provide financial support.
  2. Nintendo could attempt to pick up the M&L series themselves, and leave Alphadream to close their doors.
  3. Alphadream may lay off all their employees and shut down at any moment.
At this time there is no news of Alpha's future plans. My greatest concern is that Mario & Luigi is the most proper Mario RPG right now, with Paper Mario in an experimental state and Super Mario RPG long gone. If Alphadream doesn't come back from this, Mario & Luigi could die as a series, and Mario RPGs in general will be in the red zone. Not that someone couldn't make a new Mario RPG IP, but these series are far too beloved to go down so easily without consequences.

What think guys? This is quite a bit to take in.

Reactions: Marc
  1. Nintendo could attempt to pick up the M&L series themselves, and leave Alphadream to close their doors.
I think Nintendo might take things over instead of letting it die. Then again I'm not too sure how sales are with the recent games.

I think Nintendo might take things over instead of letting it die. Then again I'm not too sure how sales are with the recent games.
Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey is the worst selling Mario game. So yeah...not so well.

No way they're gonna drop the Mario and Luigi series, too many people love it. Nintendo has to pick it up

If we get more Paper Mario then there is less of a need for these titles. I really liked the ones I've played and emulating the formula probably isn't hard but it sucks seeing someone who made part of my childhood have bad things upon them. Nintendo really should just help Alphadream out with some sort of second chance.

i hope this doesnt mean that we wont get any more games in the mario and luigi series

Back