Ancient Devolution

• Thread starter srgs
  • Start date
srgs

srgs

3DS FC: 0430-8596-8893
Towns Folk
A new mechanic was leaked, called Ancient Devolution. It works exactly like Mega Evolution, but the difference is just aesthetics.
The Groudon and Kyogre we saw in the boxart for OR/AS are the result of this new mechanic. According to Serebii, the new formes are called "Prehistoric" Groudon and Kyogre.

EDIT:
Do you think this might work with fossil Pokemon and Genesect as well? Especially Genesect?

Last edited:
Why didn't they wait to do Aerodactyl with this? >.>

Reactions: srgs
Wow great news i gotta check it out thanks

Devolution may be a thing in the future, not to excited for it yet, its kinda strange this whole new concept they made with Groudon/Kyogre.

That's a strange name... Anyway, we've got to wait and see what Kyogre and Groudon looks like in their Ancient form.
Also, maybe Rayquaza if the Delta Emerald rumour is true.

That's a strange name... Anyway, we've got to wait and see what Kyogre and Groudon looks like in their Ancient form.
Also, maybe Rayquaza if the Delta Emerald rumour is true.

Even if Delta isn't a thing, Rayquaza should get an Ancient form regardless.

The new formes are confirmed to be called Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre in English. Sound familiar, anyone?

EDIT:
Do you think this might work with fossil Pokemon [...] as well?

I doubt this will happen with fossil Pokémon because it wouldn't make much sense. Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are being reverted back to their primal states from their current state, but fossil Pokémon have been revived from their primal (prehistoric) state already, according to canon.

To me, it seems that Kyogre and Groudon are dormant, awaking only when the need arises. Therefore they can evolve (in the traditional, non-Pokémon sense) and adapt over years, changing all the time. Their Primal formes will revert them to their original, prehistoric state.
Fossils, on the other hand, are not dormant but totally inert until revived. They have not changed at all over the thousands of years they've sat in the ground or caves or whatever. So when they are revived, they are already in their "Primal formes" as it were.

Don't know if this makes any sense to you guys ...

I doubt this will happen with
fossil Pokémon because it wouldn't make much sense. Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon are being reverted back to their primal states from their current state, but fossil Pokémon have been revived from their primal (prehistoric) state already, according to canon.

To me, it seems that Kyogre and Groudon are dormant, awaking only when the need arises. Therefore they can evolve (in the traditional, non-Pokémon sense) and adapt over years, changing all the time. Their Primal formes will revert them to their original, prehistoric state.
Fossils, on the other hand, are not dormant but totally inert until revived. They have not changed at all over the thousands of years they've sat in the ground or caves or whatever. So when they are revived, they are already in their "Primal formes" as it were.

Don't know if this makes any sense to you guys ...

But even a prehistoric fossil Pokemon could go back further in evolution, so by that sense, shouldn't every Pokemon have the potential to go into a Primal form?

The new formes are confirmed to be called Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre in English. Sound familiar, anyone?

I guess we can look forward to Primal Dialga and Palkia sometime in the future

But even a prehistoric fossil Pokemon could go back further in evolution, so by that sense, shouldn't every Pokemon have the potential to go into a Primal form?

Yes and no. Maybe a Primal forme for the legendaries, but not every Pokémon. There is only one instance of each legendary, and they cannot breed, so to "evolve" they would have to mutate, which would help them adapt in new environments. The Primal forme would just be a reversion of this mutation. Other Pokémon mate and so have loads of genes mixed in, some active, some dormant. What old genetic structure would the devolution lock on to? There's too much genetic information passed down. Regular Pokémon couldn't revert to a Primal forme because they themselves never were that forme!

As for fossil Pokémon, before being a fossil they were just a regular old Pokémon so the same concept applies, they existed en masse and would have had mixed DNA/genetics. They themselves wouldn't have had a Primal forme.

Of course, this is me trying to apply logic and reason to a world when elemental creatures exist and mutate on a whim so ... :D

Devolution may work in the same way as Mega evolution.
But I doubt Genesect can/will get stronger than it already is. Other fossil Pokemon? Maybe.

If devolution worked the same way as Mega evolution, would they hold items that are called Primal stones??? I don't think so. I think an Item will transform them so that the Pokemon doesn't have to hold the item but will still transform it until it is used again sort of like Shaymin with the Gracidea except the item has to be used again and it doesn't change back during a time of day or when put into the PC box.

If devolution worked the same way as Mega evolution, would they hold items that are called Primal stones??? I don't think so. I think an Item will transform them so that the Pokemon doesn't have to hold the item but will still transform it until it is used again sort of like Shaymin with the Gracidea except the item has to be used again and it doesn't change back during a time of day or when put into the PC box.
The trailer says otherwise. There was a little animation where a symbol appeared over Groudon and Kyogre while they were in battle. Like Mega Evolutions, they were occurring during battle, so it's most likely similar to that, not the Gracidea business.

Given how Kyogre and Groudon are returning to their prehistoric state, I bet they will actually fight each other this time. It's pretty cool how they're going to show the animosity between the two Pokemon. I also hope we get to see some cool scenes where Kyogre battles Groudon. Primal Devolution sounds like a way for the Pokemon to come out of their hibernative states and battle each other to the final end. On a side note, Kyogre and Groudon would make great enemies for a monster movie.

Back