Android beats Windows as the main OS for browsing

• Thread starter Starry Windy
  • Start date
Starry Windy

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Towns Folk
Well, according to StatCounter's recent web traffic analysis, for the first time, Android has surpassed Windows as the most used operating system to use the internet with, in terms of total internet usage across desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile combined. This means that Windows loses its place as the most dominant OS in overall, even though it's still leading in desktop market.

What do you think about the fact that Android seizes Windows in terms of being main OS to browse the internet?

I'm quite surprised actually, I thought Windows was really popular amongst end-users. I heard that Samsung smartphones are selling well (the newer ones, S6/S7) so this probably contributes to this outcome. Maybe Windows can bring it back by introducing fresh new features and better phones (The Windows phones aren't very attractive in terms of specs and looks).

Personally, I do actually prefer Android over windows (but Linux/Ubuntu overall from a programmers side).

Windows 7 is my favourite Windows OS, but for overall use (OS only, not apps), Android is the best for me since it's a lot more simple and just does what you want without any annoying additional features. I know I'm comparing a desktop OS to a mobile OS, but the base use is the same.

I refuse to compare anything to the Windows mobile OS since I just find it horrible. It's the worst OS I have ever used.

Personally I find this as a sign that mobile phones are much more used worldwide due to being more accessible and being one of the most vital device to be used. Hey, some Android phones can be bought with pretty economic price, and phones are easier to carry, so this makes phones the most common device to be used for internet. However, I wouldn't rule out PCs or laptops because I think they're still vital to everyday lives, even in the middle of the rise in Android smartphones.

Reactions: Mikaya and 28142
I think it's mainly because of the developing world where markets are flooded with low-cost Android devices to get people online. Windows is really only usable on some decent hardware which billions unfortunately still don't have access to

I'm quite surprised actually, I thought Windows was really popular amongst end-users. I heard that Samsung smartphones are selling well (the newer ones, S6/S7) so this probably contributes to this outcome. Maybe Windows can bring it back by introducing fresh new features and better phones (The Windows phones aren't very attractive in terms of specs and looks).
I doubt Windows could create a phone without using the play store that people would want to buy. I say that because the Windows App Store is horrible for selection and I don't see that becoming better in the future.

This whole topic doesn't surprise me though. People are wanting to be mobile and going mobile requires Android/iOS on a Tablet or Phone.

I think if you include web based apps like Instagram, and Facebook, most people will use a mobile device to browse online content because the desktop version of Instagram is missing some features like Instagram Stories, Live streaming video, and the ability to see your friend's likes.

A lot of people maybe using mobile to view online content because some of the mobile apps like Instagram can be addicting.

My android tablet is much smoother when scrolling the web and you can switch seamlessly between apps. It's no hard to understand why. Of course, if you want to be very productive you'll need to switch to a laptop or desktop to get more done.

Back