Android L is on its way!

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Google has revealed Android L during one of its conferences.
It's not a new mobile phone, it's the new update for Android (If you prefer, it's Android 5.0)

While it's actually available as a Developer Preview, and not as a Public Release for the moment, we'll have to wait, but here's some things that you should know about it:
  • Android L/5.0 has a new UI (User Interface), called "Material Design", and will bring some animated interactions with the user.
  • Notifications will also change; so the user will be able to answer quicker to phone calls and messages, even while using other applications.
  • A new mode will be added to save some battery (Finally, Google...), and this mode will be customizable in order to save even more battery.
  • There will be new ways to unlock Android Phones as of Android 5.0/L: the regular ways will still be available, but, if you own a smartwatch (yes, this exists) who runs Android, then, when you'll approach your phone, it'll unlock automatically (but no more details has been given).
  • Android L/5.0 will be faster than Android 4.x.x for applications.
  • It will come with a tool to lock down/wipe all the data on your phone, if you were to lose it.
Also, there will be more functionalities for developers, but I won't post it, unless you want that much to know about what was added, but I'll make it clear: there will be some add-ons that will allow developers to make their games look like as if it was a computer game, thanks to shaders and tessellation, and Android will support 64-bits chips.

Finally, if you are that interested, Android 5.0/L will be released (publicly, this time) this autumn.
Here are some images:
Old UI - New UI:
it_photo_211123_52_zps701bce92.png

Message/Call Notification while running other apps:
9699-1572-Screen-Shot-2014-06-25-at-123431-PM-l_zps1af0f4c4.png

What are your reactions about it ? Planning on installing it on your phone/tablet ?

It looks cool, a little bit like the Metro UI from Microsoft. I've a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which it's like 2-3 years old, so I hope this new version it's compatible with it!

It looks cool, a little bit like the Metro UI from Microsoft. I've a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, which it's like 2-3 years old, so I hope this new version it's compatible with it!

Even if the update isn't released by Samsung on your tablet, you can still download the whole source code on a computer, then compile it to be able to install it on your tablet. I'll do a tutorial on it if needed.

those updates look sweet! very interesting indeed. Finally some decent features to look forward to. Too bad my android smartphone won't update any more from 4.2. Looks like I'm gonna miss out. Unless I decide to buy a better phone that runs on android. :p

Even if the update isn't released by Samsung on your tablet, you can still download the whole source code on a computer, then compile it to be able to install it on your tablet. I'll do a tutorial on it if needed.
whoa, that would be really cool. Though I have faith in Samsung :hilarious: After all, they have released the latest version of Android (Kit Kat) for my tab.

those updates look sweet! very interesting indeed. Finally some decent features to look forward to. Too bad my android smartphone won't update any more from 4.2. Looks like I'm gonna miss out. Unless I decide to buy a better phone that runs on android. :p
Don't worry, when the update will be out, I will make a tutorial on how to update to Android 5.0, as I think that the requirements are the same.

Pretty cool but It look almost as the KitKat one what's the difference and can you give us more info about is core and internal drive do they plan to make it compatible with 64gb sd card this time?

Pretty cool but It look almost as the KitKat one what's the difference and can you give us more info about is core and internal drive do they plan to make it compatible with 64gb sd card this time?

Well, many things makes it different with KitKat (4.4.x). In Android 5.0, there will be an animated UI, notifications will be more intuitive, and may be visible while there's other applications running.

Also, I don't know if there will be compatibility with 64GB SD Cards. That depends on the hardware, and not really the firmware. As for the core, it's still the same; a Linux Kernel with a new Android Runtime that will allow faster execution of applications.

I can't give that much info either, because Google isn't giving much at the moment.
Finally, you may want to know that this update will be compatible with more ARM and x86 chips, and will finally bring 64 bits compatibility.

ok thanks but I don't think they will release an update for my phone at all but I am planning on a google nexus telus

ok thanks but I don't think they will release an update for my phone at all but I am planning on a google nexus telus

I don't know if you read what I wrote there was many messages ago. I'll make a tutorial on how to upgrade to Android 5.
I just need to get a new tablet.

And again, the update might be released by your phone's manufacturer.

Yeah, I noticed some similarities to Metro (which I absolutely despise). I hope they don't add unnecessary elements to the UI just for attractiveness. Simple layout always beats complicated, graphic-heavy interfaces.

Back