Anti-Gaming - Hypocritical Thinking?

• Thread starter NES
  • Start date
NES

NES

Pokemon Trainer
Towns Folk
This lady makes posts on Facebook all the time, so obviously, she's addicted to technology. Yet, she makes a post about how gaming consoles are not good for kids - acting as a sort of drug like cocaine. Note, she's one of these over-parenting types. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'd say too gaming for kids is indeed bad, but I don't it's something that's evil for them. It's just like with any past time.

Reactions: phofufury
This lady makes posts on Facebook all the time, so obviously, she's addicted to technology. Yet, she makes a post about how gaming consoles are not good for kids - acting as a sort of drug like cocaine. Note, she's one of these over-parenting types. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I'd say too gaming for kids is indeed bad, but I don't it's something that's evil for them. It's just like with any past time.

I've been playing virtual games since I was 2-and-a-half years old, and I'm just fine. So........

Good job at ruining your childrens' lives, over-parenters!

Too much gaming is only as bad for children as too much studying, or too much sport, or too much of anything really.

But gaming, without any age-related restrictions on what they play, especially with story-driven games, can be really great for children, they can learn tons of things that they wouldn't know otherwise, learn most concepts quicker than their over-parented peers (a weapon thrown in a game, for example, has to follow a certain trajectory, illustrating the laws of physics) and develop strategic thinking, learn how to handle money well (from visiting stores in RPGs, for example) and how to save up, invest and whatnot - for example, managing your inventory in a game where you save the rarer items for boss fights is pretty similar to makong a monthly budget in real life. Open-world action games also let them learn about gambling, drug dealing and the like from where it can't hurt them, whereas films just make it look glam (a kid who loses money gambling in a video game, or gets his character killed because of a drug deal gone bad, will be averse to them, whereas someone who saw a cool character in a film live the high life while doing these things wouldn't be, because films have immune characters). They also have better hand-eye coordination and a host of other talents that will serve them well in life.

Of course, this is all assuming they actually play games that require a bit of thought and still get other things done. They could just sit all day at the computer eating Doritoes and playing the same multiplayer shooter or one of the many happy-happy-zero-IQ-required games that come out way too often now, in which case they are harming themselves. But those kids tend to do that because they're underparented, not over.

Reactions: Duffy
^^ This.

I believe I learned how to read a lot faster from playing Paper Mario (64). ...Granted, I never could figure out how to reach the second boss, so I'd just start over again. X3
I did eventually learn though, and without internet help~ (finally decided to ask Sheek what his favorite food was. xwx)

My little boy was 2 years 8 months when I borrowed Super Mario Bros for Wii u. He loved it, and wanted to play it all the time. He got really good at some levels quickly. He has been completely mad about Mario ever since, and once the little one was a bit older, he joined in too. Like anything, the kids can have too much time on it, but as long as there is a balance of what they do. They could be playing a game, then decide to go off and play their own game or draw a picture related to what they have just played. They love building Mario levels out of Duplo and Lego, and are always drawing pictures of Mario and friends.
It is great watching them cooperating with parts of games, helping each other with tricky parts.
The only reason most of us didn't grow up with lots of tech is simply because it wasn't available.

Also, when it comes to reading, text in the game is a story. I play a lot of the games with them, reading the text to them, so is like reading a story.

This lady is a hypocrite why dosen't she admitt it instead typing everything in Facebook btw Facebook isn't even that used much as I recall mostly Instagram,Twitter, and Snapchat are being used rn in 2017 and Facebook is used more by adults. She is just trying to get some attention and trying to act like a good mother so people could listen to her and so that she can go to her hypocrite life and play her games which isn't cool hopefully one of these days one of her kids exposing her playing kid games so people on the internet could realize how much of a hypocrite she is .

I think I missed the point with earlier post, a few years ago, my friend got her little boy a ds lite. I thought she was nuts considering he was only 4. How will he look after it etc. Now I have recently bought my 2 a 2ds each, because I see the benefit. I take charge of them, telling them constantly to be careful, I change the games for them etc.
She may not see typing something into a phone the same as a child playing on a console.
“ Do as I say, not as I do” It is fine for me but not the kids.
So hypocritical, maybe. Not really understanding the difference - probably.

hey, i learned how ro read from games too, i was reading chapter books in kindergarten :/

Reactions: Furyofthestorm78 and 18
Most of this anti-gaming thing is taken vastly overboard. Really, it's certainly not cocaine, it's only a hobby, and I won't ever understand why they don't whine about books or something instead... because are books not bad for us as well, then? It's all forms of media. Each is not so much different from the others.

I mean, my parents were almost like this, likely never would've touched a console at all in my life if they had their way. But they didn't and now here I am, over 900 hours in Disgaea and many more beyond that. What else would I be doing with my life right now? Perhaps something a little more productive, I suppose, but it certainly didn't ruin my life. As I said, I'd likely be reading books otherwise.

The over-parentingers, oof. Honestly, I think this parent has gone too far in saying that gaming is like cocaine. Has she every thought that social media can also be as dangerous as drugs to?

Imo, gaming is fine. It's a fun and social pastime, (depending if you play multiplayer games ig lol) and nothing really harmful can come out of it. However, there should be certain restrictions to what kids play, like GTA V. That has a lot of adult content, and even if it's not part of the story, there is still a lot of graphic and strong language. Personally, i wouldnt let anyone play that till 15 or 16 years of age. Some other aspects, like Fortnite, LOL, Overwatch (any competitive game really) can cause kids to be extremely toxic, but again, that could be because of underparenting.

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

People always try to find something to blame or complain about. There's nothing wrong with video games, except in very rare circumstances.

Reactions: phofufury
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll."
-Shigeru Miyamoto

People always try to find something to blame or complain about. There's nothing wrong with video games, except in very rare circumstances.
i agree with this %100. Even studies on how violence affects the children are actually flawed. It turns out that kids aren't really affected by the violence in games at all. In rare cases tho, it may because the child has a mental illness, and should not have been exposed to that game in the first place. Parenting 101.

Reactions: Duffy
Folks, I'd like to mention anyone who says gaming is anything on the negative end of all creation give them a copy of the Bible on the Game Boy or even a reproduction. Give them a handheld and tell them to read it there. They do not need a PC because they will be tracked by Google, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, social medias, etc. They can cause harmful bullying, neglect, negative feelings of jealously, lust, propaganda influence, and gambling problems. Then give them a Game Boy cartridge for Tetris because anyone who says it's bad has never played a game in their lives and if they can't be accepting of the truth it will never show them the way of acceptance and forgiveness. By now the world is a safer place because someone had a purpose to fulfill their boredom, overcome their problems, integrate into society, and cope with technology.

Back