Any good operating systems that are lightweight?

• Thread starter LoZFTW
  • Start date
LoZFTW

LoZFTW

Doesn't give sympathy and fights for his friends.
Towns Folk
So, a couple weeks ago I went to a recycling center, and I scored 2 computers, a Dell Dimension 5100, which worked great but had no hard drive, and a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop, which had Windows XP installed. The problem with the laptop was that there was so much garbage on it, and the computer couldn't handle it because it had a Mobile Pentium 4 processor. So, I got my XP install cd, but its corrupted, so then I tried installing Windows 2000, but I couldn't find any driver for the video and audio, even from the service packs. THEN I tried Windows 98se, but that was corrupted also and wouldn't get past 23%, and Windows ME said it couldn't install due to space, when I had a formatted 40 gigabyte hard drive, so does anybody know a good, free, lightweight OS that I can install from a CD?

I don't know any but I recommend going to Best Buy and see what they have

So, a couple weeks ago I went to a recycling center, and I scored 2 computers, a Dell Dimension 5100, which worked great but had no hard drive, and a Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop, which had Windows XP installed. The problem with the laptop was that there was so much garbage on it, and the computer couldn't handle it because it had a Mobile Pentium 4 processor. So, I got my XP install cd, but its corrupted, so then I tried installing Windows 2000, but I couldn't find any driver for the video and audio, even from the service packs. THEN I tried Windows 98se, but that was corrupted also and wouldn't get past 23%, and Windows ME said it couldn't install due to space, when I had a formatted 40 gigabyte hard drive, so does anybody know a good, free, lightweight OS that I can install from a CD?

Most of the Linux OS are lightweight. If you need one that is lightweight and almost has the same interface as Windows, go for Linux Mint. The ISO to install it is around 1-2 GB, and it fits on the 7GB partition I installed it on. So far, the OS + some personal stuff like music and videos costed me around 3.87 GB, so, I'd say the OS's final size is probably 2.5-3GB.
And if you do care about Windows programs, just install Wine on it, and you're done.

Puppy Linux, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu are lightweight operating systems you can use , but sometimes parts like video cards, and wi-fi card does not work with certain Linux-based operating systems.

Back