anyone else averted to/ unsure about the new VR tech?

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
so i know VR has been a thing for at least a couple years now, but the main thing i dont like about this idea is the fact i cant see whats going on around me and this raises a safety and awareness concern on the matter in my case. im hoping that in the future of nintendo systems this isnt going to be required to play games or i probably wont wanna buy it, here's my reasons...

the screen is right before your eyes, literally--you cant see anything but the game itself. not even your own hands or body. hopefully these sets dont cover ears too, that will be bad >.<

your own body is the controller, leaving a wide margin for hitting or kicking things nearby, likely breaking something or even hurting someone else in the process which is what not being able to see your surroundings basically leads to for almost everyone.

the above are why im personally against VR overall. i want the screen on TV, so then i can see and hear whats going on around me and i dont accidentally harm a friend and feel much regret from being careless during intense/ engaging gameplay where youd have to really focus to overcome said challenge. this sort of thing has happened to many of us who've played video games in general, we play the game reach a certain point where the difficulty spike really steps up the game and we need to focus in order to overcome the challenge (especially for very fast-paced games in this instance where there is little or no time to think). i probably wont be doing any gaming with VR because for the above reasons, i prefer the regular and/ or old fashioned way, we look at the TV or portable screen and can still look away and see whats going on and have face time conversations with friends. dont get me wrong, i do realize the advanced technology involved with these things, but i dont really like the safety issues that come with this.

And this is why you gotta actually set up a VR area instead of being dumb and going "I have no room to move my arms around, let's just set up my VR here anyway!".

The Vive at least has a setting on compatible games where you can plot out your room's boundaries and you can then see that ingame. Yes, you still have to be careful, but again, you're an idiot if you think VR would work in a small space.

Yes, you wear headphones for sound, but I guess if you really want to break the immersion that vr is all about you could play sound through speakers but that'd just ruin the experience. It's just about setting up a safe area and getting to know your limits on it all and not getting overzealous.

Other people should know as well to not go near someone in VR, I've hit someone while in VR before, sure, but only because they silently stretched their arm and body in front of me while I was playing beat saber, they could see I was in game on the screen, I was moving my arms, and they still decided it was safe to get that close in front of me. Idiot or not, my fault or not, you decide.

There is literally nothing wrong with VR unless you take no care to think about your set up and your space. Don't get VR if you don't have adiquate space. There's even space requirements to even get them to work. I have a computer that can run VR, and I can probably afford a vive in a few months. But will I get one? No, because even though I have big enough rooms, I have no actual space for one. Being immersed in the game is nothing bad, again, as long as you've set up your space fine, you will have 0 problems.

Reactions: Jisenku and Samster
And this is why you gotta actually set up a VR area instead of being dumb and going "I have no room to move my arms around, let's just set up my VR here anyway!".

The Vive at least has a setting on compatible games where you can plot out your room's boundaries and you can then see that ingame. Yes, you still have to be careful, but again, you're an idiot if you think VR would work in a small space.

Yes, you wear headphones for sound, but I guess if you really want to break the immersion that vr is all about you could play sound through speakers but that'd just ruin the experience. It's just about setting up a safe area and getting to know your limits on it all and not getting overzealous.

Other people should know as well to not go near someone in VR, I've hit someone while in VR before, sure, but only because they silently stretched their arm and body in front of me while I was playing beat saber, they could see I was in game on the screen, I was moving my arms, and they still decided it was safe to get that close in front of me. Idiot or not, my fault or not, you decide.

There is literally nothing wrong with VR unless you take no care to think about your set up and your space. Don't get VR if you don't have adiquate space. There's even space requirements to even get them to work. I have a computer that can run VR, and I can probably afford a vive in a few months. But will I get one? No, because even though I have big enough rooms, I have no actual space for one. Being immersed in the game is nothing bad, again, as long as you've set up your space fine, you will have 0 problems.

Like @Sky said, it is very important to get a safe space, that's why I love such features like Oculus's Guardian, where you can draw out your room to get the perfect setup! Also, if you think that the VR brightness is going to hurt your eyes, then turn it down... (duh) And if you are worried about bumping into things, PSVR and Oculus Rift/Quest have cameras that can scan the area and probably also get video (I know for a fact the PSVR can do this)

All in all, just be careful!

Reactions: Kadaj
so i know VR has been a thing for at least a couple years now, but the main thing i dont like about this idea is the fact i cant see whats going on around me and this raises a safety and awareness concern on the matter in my case. im hoping that in the future of nintendo systems this isnt going to be required to play games or i probably wont wanna buy it, here's my reasons...

the screen is right before your eyes, literally--you cant see anything but the game itself. not even your own hands or body. hopefully these sets dont cover ears too, that will be bad >.<

your own body is the controller, leaving a wide margin for hitting or kicking things nearby, likely breaking something or even hurting someone else in the process which is what not being able to see your surroundings basically leads to for almost everyone.

the above are why im personally against VR overall. i want the screen on TV, so then i can see and hear whats going on around me and i dont accidentally harm a friend and feel much regret from being careless during intense/ engaging gameplay where youd have to really focus to overcome said challenge. this sort of thing has happened to many of us who've played video games in general, we play the game reach a certain point where the difficulty spike really steps up the game and we need to focus in order to overcome the challenge (especially for very fast-paced games in this instance where there is little or no time to think). i probably wont be doing any gaming with VR because for the above reasons, i prefer the regular and/ or old fashioned way, we look at the TV or portable screen and can still look away and see whats going on and have face time conversations with friends. dont get me wrong, i do realize the advanced technology involved with these things, but i dont really like the safety issues that come with this.
The original Htc vive, I think, the oculus rift s and the vive pro, have cameras on them, so you can see where in your room you are, and they also allow you to set up border, so the headset will notify you when you are starting to leave the boundary you set.

Reactions: 28142
Back