Anyone remember AR cards?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
P0.jpg

These things were fun. They came with a whole bunch of little minigames built into the 3DS. There were photo modes, too, and a whole punch of other stuff. You could use the ? card to get your Miis to come out into the real world and create scenes with them. You could fish, shoot targets, and so much more... the 3DS had a bunch of cool built-in minigames, Face Raiders was another one, but the AR cards are perhaps the ones I have the fondest memories of.

Do you ever want to see them return in the future? Sadly, the Switch doesn't have a second camera like the 3DS, so it might not be possible for this generation. How about if the made another handheld console? Would you like to see the AR cards return?

Reactions: phofufury and Mizunil
I have two sets of AR Cards, the ones that come with the OG 3DS and the ones that come with the N3DS, hated how instead of getting that cool package with the OG 3DS, you just get a little card that shows info on the AR Cards on the N3DS. They were pretty fun and motivated me to get more Play Coins so that I could get more minigames (or buy back the globe & clock every single I utterly destroyed it)

Reactions: phofufury
I remember it fondly. Oddly enough there's a Linux Penguin AR card that shows up as Kirby. Also I wanted to make a contest based on Kid Icarus AR cards (which only worked with Kid Icarus Uprising) but someone wasn't interested. The games were neat and brought a better look on the future of the VR idea. I expect good things from Nintendo after what I saw. The thing is if you wanted to sell them they'd only be going to collectors because looking up the image online without doin anything otherwise would still work. Also I remember the Nintendo Power fan section featured what they did with upscaled AR Cards as well as someone tattooing the AR Block card to his arm. Now that's dedication. We should see Mr. AR in the future I reckon.

Reactions: Jisenku and phofufury
I only used mine for a few weeks, but I really enjoyed them and thought the concept was cool. I think I still have these in a box somewhere.

My friend lost a few of his cards years back, searched up images of them and drew them on paper to make duplicates, and they worked perfectly! It seemed really funny at the time :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: Jisenku and phofufury
I have two sets of AR Cards, the ones that come with the OG 3DS and the ones that come with the N3DS, hated how instead of getting that cool package with the OG 3DS, you just get a little card that shows info on the AR Cards on the N3DS. They were pretty fun and motivated me to get more Play Coins so that I could get more minigames (or buy back the globe & clock every single I utterly destroyed it)

Oh, the clock and globe? I remember those... vaguely. You had to pay to get them back? I can't remember how exactly the whole thing worked, it's been so long since I've played... I lost my cards long before my 2DS broke so it's been perhaps five or six years since I brought them out.

For Play Coins, I just flipped over my 3DS a few times, since I never went anywhere, never really would bring my 3DS out with me if I did.

Reactions: Jisenku
For Play Coins, I just flipped over my 3DS a few times, since I never went anywhere, never really would bring my 3DS out with me if I did.
haha, i remember doing that. I did it and maxed out for the day, everyday.

AR cards were cool, my favorite would have to be the Fishing minigame, and the Doodling minigame. I used to doodle characters and make them pop out, that was really fun. I also remember getting some fun fish, and really fun fish battles. Sadly, when you have little siblings, they'll bend it and chew on it. I havnt played my 3ds in years tho, and stopped playing with the AR cards after a few months.

Pretty sure most of my cards ended up damaged, too. Maybe that's why I lost them - maybe I just couldn't be bothered to keep them tidied up when they didn't even work anymore so maybe now they're in a box somewhere.

Granted, when I got my 2DS, there was a new set of cards to come with it, but I'd mostly forgotten about them by then. Otherwise I'm sure I would've had fun going back through them and playing all the old games again.

Maybe they're still in a box somewhere.

Oh, the clock and globe? I remember those... vaguely. You had to pay to get them back? I can't remember how exactly the whole thing worked, it's been so long since I've played... I lost my cards long before my 2DS broke so it's been perhaps five or six years since I brought them out.

I was planning to homebrew my system and as such I went back to AR Cards and checked it out while searching up stuff, and if you blow up the clock or the globe, you have to buy them back at the store, which I think is pretty funny TBH

I was planning to homebrew my system and as such I went back to AR Cards and checked it out while searching up stuff, and if you blow up the clock or the globe, you have to buy them back at the store, which I think is pretty funny TBH

Huh. Guess Nintendo had more creative ways of getting players to exercise back then instead of these sports and fitness games they're putting out right now. Break a clock, walk 500 steps to get it back. I'm sure my old PE teacher would've loved something like that after I broke a mirror back in school. Unfortunately, that mirror probably costed a lot more than five Play Coins.

Even more unfortunately, in all the thousands of Play Coins I ever earned, less than a third were because I actually walked anywhere. And I'm sure my old PE teacher would not be so easily tricked by flipping a small piece of plastic a few hundred times.

Huh. Guess Nintendo had more creative ways of getting players to exercise back then instead of these sports and fitness games they're putting out right now. Break a clock, walk 500 steps to get it back. I'm sure my old PE teacher would've loved something like that after I broke a mirror back in school. Unfortunately, that mirror probably costed a lot more than five Play Coins.

Even more unfortunately, in all the thousands of Play Coins I ever earned, less than a third were because I actually walked anywhere. And I'm sure my old PE teacher would not be so easily tricked by flipping a small piece of plastic a few hundred times.
I have the limit btw. It's either 200 or 300 multiplied by 100 steps per coin. Also it makes the Pokewalker look like a full on exercise machine with all the trouble you have to go trough unlocking every course legally even though changing the code is possible with a certain device and unlocks them all the lazy way. It really got me concerned when Play Coins weren't even used in Pokemon's mainline games AT ALL. It's like they didn't want to be creative. The best we got was in the remakes with secret hideouts. COME ON. I could use the GTS for every Pokemon on the Pokedex and this gimmick didn't make me happy. Just goes to show I like the features of the DS GBA era instead. eReader card Berries and Battle Tower cards were the jam on top of compatibility with other games and secret hideouts.

From what I remember, there's a limit per day for the amount of Play Coins you can earn. I can't remember how many Play Coins I ended up with... pretty sure I stopped paying attention to them altogether after I got my 2DS, as all the newer games forgot about the old gimmicks entirely. Even the 3D aspect ended up getting forgotten - perhaps why the 2DS was just as marketable - with several of the newer games having no 3D compatibility at all.

Never had a Pokewalker or whatever that was, think they sold that back when I was a young child, back before I got into Pokemon either... I remember seeing it advertised. Huh, this thread is making me really nostalgic. I wonder how many other aspects of my childhood I've forgotten? How many cool devices I either never had or don't remember having? At least features like the AR will always be fun to look back at and reminisce on.

From what I remember, there's a limit per day for the amount of Play Coins you can earn. I can't remember how many Play Coins I ended up with... pretty sure I stopped paying attention to them altogether after I got my 2DS, as all the newer games forgot about the old gimmicks entirely. Even the 3D aspect ended up getting forgotten - perhaps why the 2DS was just as marketable - with several of the newer games having no 3D compatibility at all.

Never had a Pokewalker or whatever that was, think they sold that back when I was a young child, back before I got into Pokemon either... I remember seeing it advertised. Huh, this thread is making me really nostalgic. I wonder how many other aspects of my childhood I've forgotten? How many cool devices I either never had or don't remember having? At least features like the AR will always be fun to look back at and reminisce on.
My guy you haven't tried getting 10 (the limit) and then changing the internal time by a day and it counts that. Which that reminds me of the Activity Log which tracks gameplay and steps. I'm sure the steps it counted on mine were woooonnnky. Still gets the same total but sort of inaccurate. The 2DS wedge was just a cheap concept but I'm glad they had some hinged versions. Now that I think about it the DSi should've had AR cards if they didn't already. It had some sweet face distortion stuff missing in the 3DS but the 3DS had stop motion in a camera update which was cool... I guess?

I loved these cards. Like when I scanned them for the first time, it was so awesome. I bought everything and played all the games multiple times. Then i never touched them for 2 years. And I remember shaking my 3ds as fast as possible for like 20 minutes to get those playcoins. I really wish there was some alternative to walking. I mean it's a gaming console. I don't really think people are gonna be like "Oh look! A 3ds! That helped me lose 30 pounds!"

Back