Anyone remember Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow?

• Thread starter Shiny
  • Start date
Shiny

Shiny

Pretty much dead x.x
Towns Folk
Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow were the original Pokemon games. All future Pokemon games we are loving grew off of these small yet fun games.

Does anyone remember anything exciting from these games? I remember Pokemon Red a whole lot. I remember picking Bulbasaur as my first Pokemon. I also had hours upon hours of gameplay on these.

What about you guys? Any cool memories from these terrific games?

I don’t play Pokémon, but I remember trying out Pokémon Yellow once. It was a really fun game, with the right balance of battling. It was overall quite fun, and I wouldn’t mind playing it again. :p

Reactions: Duffy
I don’t play Pokémon, but I remember trying out Pokémon Yellow once. It was a really fun game, with the right balance of battling. It was overall quite fun, and I wouldn’t mind playing it again. :p
You should! They are really fun to play and I have been meaning to play them again too someday

Who could forget the original pokemon games? They are instant classics! Well at this point they are just classics xD. I think they are awesome games and obviously they spawned a legacy few games can compete with

Who could forget the original pokemon games? They are instant classics! Well at this point they are just classics xD. I think they are awesome games and obviously they spawned a legacy few games can compete with
Yep Red Blue and Yellow were absolute amazing classics. Really great classics.

Reactions: Duffy
Blue was the first handheld Pokémon game I played iirc. It was great, nonlinear and the VC version is useful for Hidden Ability mons. In fact I was playing it today for a Slowpoke (don't tell anyone) but, I don't like that even if you catch it in a Master Ball it's displayed as having it being caught in a regular Poke Ball regardless. The game is easy if you know what each move does and the weaknesses/resistances but you might need a chart because it's not the same as in later games. I think it's more of a single player game and matches drag on more if you play against a friend especially if you both have Mewtwo or Dragonite (Wrap for days). imo later games perfected it multiplayer wise and the only real challenge was depending on how you limit what Pokémon you want on your team and whether you wanted items or not. Also can I mention the limit was Lv100 but it might take you forever to even get there w/o Rare Candies since there was no real post game besides Mewtwo I kinda wish there was more to it. If you want to catch Mewtwo like a boss just be like me and Sand Attack it so it only uses Swift and then switch to Butterfree and put it to sleep when it's at low HP. There you go save your game and never play it again.

If I remember the first gen? MAAAAAN you ask me if I do remember the first gen??
Just take one map, point one NPC, trainer or item and ask me what they say! I'll tell you the french text of it.

Yellow ( Special Pikachu Edition ;) ) was the first one I ever played. I was so young I barely remember it. But I do remember Pikachu following me around, and I loved it so much. Now I'm playing Ultra Sun and miss my Pikachu. :(

Yellow ( Special Pikachu Edition ;) ) was the first one I ever played. I was so young I barely remember it. But I do remember Pikachu following me around, and I loved it so much. Now I'm playing Ultra Sun and miss my Pikachu. :(
yeah, too bad they only made it again in HG/SS! And in HG/SS there weren't many glitches with the following Pokémon so I don't understand why they didn't keep it.

Reactions: NATT44
yeah, too bad they only made it again in HG/SS! And in HG/SS there weren't many glitches with the following Pokémon so I don't understand why they didn't keep it.

I agree! The Pokémon following mechanic was one of the coolest features in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, but sadly they never decided to bring it back. I miss walking around with my Pikachu or Feraligatr - those were the days! :sorry:
Here's to hoping they bring it back some day! (Diamond and Pearl remakes, anyone?)

Reactions: Alegria
isn't it the case with Let's go, though?

I remember the games but I have only really played yellow. I use to spend a lot of time after work playing it as I waited for my mom to get off work to go home. I put a lot into the game and had a lot of fun with it. I hope that they do better with the games in the future and go a little different with the same old systems in the games. So far I've seen them trying here and there but I still think that they are not there just yet. They are honestly still behind just a bit and slowly I see them falling into the wrong way with it. Pay walls for a pokemon game isn't a way to get more people in to your games and I hope they know that.

I still remember when I borrowed my cousin's Gameboy Color to play several games, including Pokémon Yellow. That time I find it cool having it being tied to the anime, as I trained the Pikachu among others. It only lasts for some hours back then because I have to return it to my cousin, but it's been enjoyable. Now I can play it anytime granted that I've bought the Virtual Console version for my 3DS.

I remember Pokemon Yellow. I used to think it was a hacked game of sorts, but then I realized it's actually an original game and you get to have Pikachu as a friend, lol.

I absolutely adore Pokémon Yellow, I have many fond memories of trying to get through it as a kid who barely understood English. It was pretty much the second real video game I ever played through mostly by myself (first was Pokémon Crystal), the RPG genre was new and fascinating, and I was a huge fan of the franchise at the time. Finding and catching your first legendary Pokémon (after wasting the Master Ball on a normal Pokémon, of course) was a pretty special feeling.
Looking back at it now, it may not have been the most balanced and well-thought out game of all time, but back then, I had a blast exploring areas, finding new Pokémon, trying to make sense of dialogue, figuring out how to progress in the game (just googling it wasn't really something I could do easily), and learning how the battle system worked. It had a lot of interesting ideas that wasn't seen in the modern games, it's interesting to see how the franchise and developed and grown since then.

I'd say playing Yellow as much as I did as a kid is one of the reasons I got into video games and RPGs especially, a good game at the right age can easily be a gateway to it. I still enjoy playing it, even though it is pretty clunky and dated, it's nostalgic and still a good game at its core.

Of course I do! I remember playing mostly Yellow, and I glitched the whole game. It's kind of stupid but those were my most fun memories of the game. The best glitch is probably fighting Professor Oak, which is not a thing you're supposed to do. While the games were a good start, the battles sometimes made no sense (for example, did you know that if you freeze a Pokemon, it can't thaw out unless an item is used? Also you have a chance to miss an attack that has 100 accuracy without the opponent boosting its evasiveness) and they had many bugs and glitches (which I used to get a lv. 100 Mew for example).

Of course I do! I remember playing mostly Yellow, and I glitched the whole game. It's kind of stupid but those were my most fun memories of the game. The best glitch is probably fighting Professor Oak, which is not a thing you're supposed to do. While the games were a good start, the battles sometimes made no sense (for example, did you know that if you freeze a Pokemon, it can't thaw out unless an item is used? Also you have a chance to miss an attack that has 100 accuracy without the opponent boosting its evasiveness) and they had many bugs and glitches (which I used to get a lv. 100 Mew for example).
Yeah, glitches were an awesome part. The cinnabar island high level Pokémon, the "hunt" for Glitch City we never understood how to reach back then,...

Back