Are there any kid-friendly Pokémon-like RPG alternatives on Switch?

• Thread starter Starry Windy
  • Start date
Starry Windy

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Towns Folk
Lately I've been wondering, are there some RPG games, if possible in Pokémon-like fare (collecting monsters to train and level 'em up) that is kid-friendly on Switch? By that, it has to be rated at most E to E10+ on ESRB. Thanks in advance.

Does it have to be on the Switch? (I do have a suggestion, it's just not for that console.)

tem tem is one game people seem to like, but i dont know if it is released in swtich yet but there is a switch version confirmed
there is also digimon cybersleuth, its a good rpg if you dont have anything to play, but there are better games
and i dont know if it counts but in the world ends with you use pins to figth and are collectionable

Reactions: Awkward and 28142
Does it have to be on the Switch? (I do have a suggestion, it's just not for that console.)
Yep, specific for the Switch console.
tem tem is one game people seem to like, but i dont know if it is released in swtich yet but there is a switch version confirmed
there is also digimon cybersleuth, its a good rpg if you dont have anything to play, but there are better games
and i dont know if it counts but in the world ends with you use pins to figth and are collectionable
The thing is, I was thinking on Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth back then, but I'm unsure yet once I saw that it's rated T. I also checked TWEWY and it's also rated T. As for Tem Tem, I do heard that it's coming to Switch soon, but I hope I can play it offline if I wanted to. My net might be unstable for online play at times...

Anyway, to clarify, I wanted Switch RPG games that are rated E to E10+ in ESRB, and PEGI 3 to 7, if possible.

So first, Temtem is brilliant, it's predicted to come to the switch next year though.

Other than that. Idk of many kids games for this, but TWEWY is a damn good game but not really a monster-catching game (though it's about collecting abilities and levelling them up and such.).
Ni No Kuni is another semi-monster-catching game which is fantastic. It's beautiful, the story is fantastic, the combat is great and overall it's just a damn good game. In this, you can collect and tame familiars but it's mostly a fully fledged RPG game at it's core.

For a kid's monster-catching game of those age ratings, I think literally the only thing other then pokemon on the switch is Yo-Kai Watch. But I wouldn't really recommend that series myself tbh.

I think yo kai watch would fall in those standards. Its created be level 5 (same creator of professor layton). its quite famous in japan but not too much in north america. Its basically like pokemon where you catch these monsters with a unique rpg system and you use them to fight more monsters. I haven't played it but as far as i have seen its nice and interesting. BUT......i dont see myself buying this game because i'm not really interested in it. you might like it. check it out.

Yep, specific for the Switch console.

The thing is, I was thinking on Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth back then, but I'm unsure yet once I saw that it's rated T. I also checked TWEWY and it's also rated T. As for Tem Tem, I do heard that it's coming to Switch soon, but I hope I can play it offline if I wanted to. My net might be unstable for online play at times...

Anyway, to clarify, I wanted Switch RPG games that are rated E to E10+ in ESRB, and PEGI 3 to 7, if possible.
oh, yes true....

digimon has some kinda "kid unfriendly" things in some places
and about TWEWY unless the player is a very young kid, i dont think it to be "kid unfrienly"
So first, Temtem is brilliant, it's predicted to come to the switch next year though.

Ni No Kuni is another semi-monster-catching game which is fantastic. It's beautiful, the story is fantastic, the combat is great and overall it's just a damn good game. In this, you can collect and tame familiars but it's mostly a fully fledged RPG game at it's core.
oh yes, i want to play ni no kuni at some moment,

and about TWEWY unless the player is a very young kid, i dont think it to be "kid unfrienly"

Yeah, TWEWY is rated PEGI 12, it's a small bit dark (talks about death and has a small bit of language, but then again, kids hear much much worse these days lol), but I'd say it'd be suitable for probably like, 8-9 yrs+.

Ni No Kuni is also PEGI 12 for similar (but it's way less dark) reasons. I'd probably say that Ni No Kuni would be suitable for about the same, or younger audience. Children would enjoy the art style of Ni No Kuni more as well probably and the gameplay. Since the gameplay in TWEWY is probably a bit complex and fast paced for a small child.

Ni No Kuni is also PEGI 12 for similar (but it's way less dark) reasons. I'd probably say that Ni No Kuni would be suitable for about the same, or younger audience. Children would enjoy the art style of Ni No Kuni more as well probably and the gameplay.
Still, I find Ni no Kuni to be somewhat tamer according to ESRB. I checked, and it's rated E10+ compared to TWEWY's Teen rating.

Still, I find Ni no Kuni to be somewhat tamer according to ESRB. I checked, and it's rated E10+ compared to TWEWY's Teen rating.

You also gotta remember that rating boards, especially the ESRB are quite bias'd towards being a lot harsher. A game can have a single "bad word" and it'll be a teen lol. A single drop of blood? That marks up the rating as well.

It's probably best to do your own research into it, probably not going on parent boards lol, but actually looking at what the "problem" content in that game is, so you can make your own informed decision based on how mature the child is. If the child is quite mature, then they'd be able to deal with some swear words, darker themes and overall would be able to deal with a more mature game, especially if they had someone older to help them with it.

If a kid is incredibly immature then probably don't show them more swear words and things they won't be able to handle atm.

I'm a person of the mentality that kids shouldn't really be shielded away from real-life stuff since it kinda just hinders maturity. If they consume media slowly and go through and learn about darker topics from a young age and explore all that themself, imo that's healthier then keeping them locked to games "for their age". Every kid is different in what they know and maturity. It kinda just comes down to what they can handle.

The problem is that... some wants to pick safer games because they're comfortable with it the most, myself included, which is why I wrote this thread in the first place, so with due respect, sorry to say, saying to 'face up and deal with it' is not an answer for me.

Last edited:
The problem is that... some wants to pick safer games because they're comfortable with it the most, myself included, which is why I wrote this thread in the first place, so with due respect, sorry to say, saying to 'face up and deal with it' is not an answer for me.

Sometimes going out of your comfort zone is good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also "safe" is pretty subjective.

If so, I should keep on surveying on which RPG Switch games would be appropriate for me for a time being. I might keep an eye on Ni no Kuni for a meantime.

Update: I have checked Ni no Kuni via some reviews, and it seems that I might not enjoy some parts of the story... so I'll keep on searching for some more RPGs that will be more suitable to me and follows my personal values.

Back