Battle bond greninja?

• Thread starter PalD2
  • Start date
PalD2

PalD2

Just some guy on the interwebs
Towns Folk
Is it just me or does battle bond greninja seem obsolete in competitive play. Think about it. Protean is the much better ability, making greninja gain stab on any move. Battle bond, however, only activates once you defeat an opponents pokemon, and its only like a mini mega evolution where protean gives you stab all day. Don't get me wrong, ash-greninja is a cool nod to the anime, but it just doesn't seem protean good, you know what I mean?

Has it been clarified how much water shuriken has been boosted? Because if it is substantial enough, it would Greninja a pretty great sweeper after you clear its counters (ferrothorn and the likes). A STAB boosted, priority water attack which takes advantage of its high special attack is pretty solid.

Has it been clarified how much water shuriken has been boosted? Because if it is substantial enough, it would Greninja a pretty great sweeper after you clear its counters (ferrothorn and the likes). A STAB boosted, priority water attack which takes advantage of its high special attack is pretty solid.
If the way it works is the water shuriken boost, and the boost is substantial it might compete with protean, but what you have to consider is the STAB benefits going onto the other type moves (some examples are grass knot, gunk shot, ect.).

Oh undoubtedly Protean is an excellent ability. This just seems like a decent alternative if you're looking for a specific type of sweeper.

Is it just me or does battle bond greninja seem obsolete in competitive play. Think about it. Protean is the much better ability, making greninja gain stab on any move. Battle bond, however, only activates once you defeat an opponents pokemon, and its only like a mini mega evolution where protean gives you stab all day. Don't get me wrong, ash-greninja is a cool nod to the anime, but it just doesn't seem protean good, you know what I mean?
There is some especulation, first

Protean Greninja > Battle Bond Greninja, but Ash-Greninja> Protean Greninja

Is not that hard to get a kill with non Protean Greninja, it still gets Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse with the same power that Protean Greninja would, and other moves like Grass Knot and Ice Beam still do a lot of damage against common Pokémon, even without Protean, also, 122 Base Speed is still amazing.

I can see BB Greninja being a nice late game sweeper, while Greninja is ussualy a mid game breaker.

Keep in mind, that Ash-Greninja can't get Gunk Shot or Low Kick (unless the same tutor moves are back), and Ash-Greninja has to run STAB, unlike Protean Greninja, which can run literally any combination of 4 moves and still being usable.

Back