Beginner's Guide to LoZ

• Thread starter Matthew
  • Start date
Matthew

Matthew

WE ARE... MARSHALL!!
Towns Folk
So, I've never been into the series, but am wanting to give it a try. Where do you guys suggest I start? I'd like to start at one of the N64 variants of the game but I'm not sure which would be the best.

Can you all help me?

Begin with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Relive the amazing experience on the 3DS.

I've played the following Zelda games:
  1. Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  2. Spirit Tracks (DS)
  3. Phantom Hourglass (DS)
  4. Minish Cap (GBA)
  5. Zelda I (NES, Virtual Console)
  6. Zelda II (NES, Virtual Console)
  7. Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSiWare - hey, it was free!)
All these games, from which I can infer most of the franchise - except maybe OoT which I have yet to beat and I believe it has a direct sequel - have their own story with their own beginning and end, separately from the other games. So, basically you can jump into any game you want.

I would recommend starting with Ocarina of Time 3D though: you have a 3DS, and from what I've played and heard it's the best Zelda game around. It also has the most begin-at-the-beginning story of the lot and you won't feel lost at all.

Reactions: Kaynil
I've played the following Zelda games:
  1. Ocarina of Time 3D (3DS)
  2. Spirit Tracks (DS)
  3. Phantom Hourglass (DS)
  4. Minish Cap (GBA)
  5. Zelda I (NES, Virtual Console)
  6. Zelda II (NES, Virtual Console)
  7. Four Swords Anniversary Edition (DSiWare - hey, it was free!)
All these games, from which I can infer most of the franchise - except maybe OoT which I have yet to beat and I believe it has a direct sequel - have their own story with their own beginning and end, separately from the other games. So, basically you can jump into any game you want.

I would recommend starting with Ocarina of Time 3D though: you have a 3DS, and from what I've played and heard it's the best Zelda game around. It also has the most begin-at-the-beginning story of the lot and you won't feel lost at all.

Out of those you listed, I've played Ocarina of Time 3D, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, and Four Swords Anniversary Edition (FREE LIFE!).

You hit the spot, like I said, Ocarina of Time 3D is the way to go. :D

Reactions: 18
I may actually finish Spirit Tracks. I have both of those games but only ever finished Phantom Hourglass.

The Ocarina of Time, what system did it originally come out on?

I may actually finish Spirit Tracks. I have both of those games but only ever finished Phantom Hourglass.

N64. Along with Chrono Cross, it is considered by many to be the best fifth generation game ever.

Spirit Tracks was cool for me. I used to be that young thug who was into Thomas the train engine or whatever it was called. Go to experience the tracks first hand in Spirit Tracks. Finish your journey!

If your going to start with ocarina of time start on the N64 then play it on the 3ds. In my opinion it's better to play the original than play a remake, not suing the remake was bad but it's just me

Well, it depends if you're going to be a diehard fan or not. Me? I'm a diehard Zelda geek that knows practically the entire Zelda timeline from front to back (Thanks to Hyrule Historia and my experiences by playing nearly every Zelda game).

I'd recommend starting with Skyward Sword, if you really want to start at the very beginning and if you have a Wii. The original Zelda is very awesome as well, but it doesn't really tell the story and the point of the game, and it goes to say that a majority of Zelda games aren't just about rescuing a princess *Cough; like Mario, cough*. I'd also recommend Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker as decent starting points, heck, even Twilight Princess explains the story half-decently.

Tl;dr; Play a Zelda game that was originally released for a home console. XD

Of course I'm a diehard Zelda fan and I can agree with Flarence, start with home console games and you will have an amazing time with the Zelda series, I guarantee it

I do love Zelda games, but I wish the timeline was straightforward...not multiple tracks and different angles of the timelines. LOL

You should really play the first two NES games. Then I suggest you play Ocarina of Time, and then Majora's Mask.

You should really play the first two NES games. Then I suggest you play Ocarina of Time, and then Majora's Mask.
Lol. I can see that playing the first two games in the series(Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link) would go over "very well" for an introduction into the series for Matthew. I would suggest Ocarina of Time and Link's Awakening.

Hey man. I just thought to chime on as well. The beauty of the Legend of Zelda games is that despite the chronology they are all complete adventures and are usually pretty welcoming of new members, so you most likely won't sweat to understand it no matter what title you pick up.

Probably the only ones I recommend you to avoid are the direct sequels Majora's Mask y Phantom Hourglass, as probably you would rather to tackle them in order (OoT before MM & tWW before PH), but again even against my advice you will understand the adventure regardless. I like the advice of trying a console game first and from those I recommend Skyward Sword (the first one in the chronology and a very recent game) or Ocarina of Time (the one that got me into).

I am sorry I will give you conflicting advice but I think you should steer away from the NES ones until you decide for yourself you are up for the challenge. Most of the actual LoZ formula started with ALttP and starting with those two first may be more frustrating than rewarding.

In short: don't worry. It doesn't matter if you start with the upcoming A Link Between Worlds one, the Wind Waker HD, Ocarina of Time or whichever game is within your reach, as most games have many years of difference between them which is why Links appearance is different in some games.

This is the most widely accepted order to play the Legend of Zelda games:
  • Ocarina of Time
  • Majora's Mask
  • The Wind Waker
  • Phantom Hourglass
  • A Link to the Past
  • Oracle of Ages
  • Oracle of Seasons
  • Link's Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Adventure of Link

Back