Best and worst of SEGA 3D Classics

• Thread starter TAG
  • Start date
TAG

TAG

Indie supporter
Towns Folk
I haven't played all of them yet, but I have a few. Space Harrier is my favorite so far. Altered Beast is the worst. Who's downloaded some (or all) of these? Opinions of how M2 has done with these games? I'm pretty impressed myself.

I'm bumping this in hopes of getting some feedback on the games I haven't played yet like Super Hang On & Streets of Rage. I've read reviews of course, but it isn't the same as chatting about them first hand.

Sonic the hedgehog 3d was a favorite to me but not so much for the 3d aspects. Altered beast was bi-far the worse of the 3d selections on the eshop. I haven't tried super hang on yet but it looks decent enough.

Reactions: TAG
I've not bought any of them - yet. When nostalgia really kicks in I will, but like all games of that generation I'll need a lot of time on my hands to actually play them so I'm putting it off for now.

I played almost all of the games now being sold on the eShop as Sega 3D Classics on the actual Genesis when I was younger. I think that since the games are so dated now it will be difficult for people who didn't play them then to appreciate them. The original Streets of Rage and Altered Beast are broken, even, compared to today's beat 'em ups (although beat 'em ups have decreased in quantity drastically over the years). But I'm sure that they'll be as fun as ever for me because I don't care about the lack of certain things in them that are now regarded as necessary.

Sonic the Hedgehog is the one I'll want to play most when I get my hands on it; the first three Sonic games are the best games on the Genesis. Ecco the Dolphin also brings back fond memories for me because my cousin and brother used to play it a lot while I watched. I remember it as a pretty time-consuming game :D

There are other Genesis games I hope are made available on the 3DS eShop. I don't really care about the 3D effect, although Nintendo seem to regard it as mandatory; it might be interesting for a while to see the characters pop out of the screen a bit when that never happened on the Genesis.

Here are the games I'd want on the eShop:

• Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
  • Streets of Rage 3
  • Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (go ahead, laugh at me :p )
  • The Lion King
  • Golden Axe
  • Shining Force
  • Comix Zone
  • After Burner
For some reason I want to play Golden Axe on my 3DS the most out of this list - maybe it's because it was my favourite beat 'em up at the time. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, I still don't know whether it was a beat 'em up or something else, but for me it was fun as heck.

I'm sorry for such a long post and if I might have hijacked the thread. I just get really worked up remembering those good times :p

As for whether Super Hang On and Streets of Rage are worth it, @TAG : Super Hang On, in my opinion, definitely isn't worth it. I suppose it's graphically impressive, somewhat, for a Genesis game - but I never liked it, maybe because I never really got the 'hang' of it (ha, geddit!?) :p As for Streets of Rage - since you don't seem to have liked Altered Beast, I'll tell you that Streets of Rage has some of the constrictions that may have annoyed you in Altered Beast. The motion isn't fluid like in later beat 'em ups (or SNES ones - the SNES was a more powerful console even though I prefer the Genesis) and it's nowhere near as good as Final Fight. The thing is, it depends on whether you've played and enjoyed other beat 'em ups of that era. I'm guessing you haven't played Streets of Rage. It'll seem dated to you, since you didn't play it then - yeah, it really comes down to whether you liked other beat 'em ups of that era.

I'm sorry for such a long post and if I might have hijacked the thread. I just get really worked up remembering those good times :p

Don't be, I glad for the reply. :D

I actually have played Streets of Rage, and still have a copy in my collection. I was mostly curious about how it transitioned to the 3DS since M2's Gen. ports don't seem to be as good as their arcade ones. I actually prefer Streets of Rage over Final Fight (maybe not more than the arcade version, but certainly over the weak SNES port of FF)

Reactions: 18
Back