Blizzard doesn't mind giving Nintendo any of its Overwatch characters for Smash

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
As you probably already know, Overwatch is coming to the Nintendo Switch whether you like it or not (I'm looking at you @Sky :eyes2:)

In an interview with IGN, vice president at Blizzard Entertainment, Jeff Kaplan, shared that they are more than interested in giving Nintendo any of their Overwatch characters for Super Smash Bros.
Jeff Kaplan said:
To the Smash Brothers team, whatever character you want, we love them all. They’re all our babies, you can have any single one of them. We have 31 to choose from. Tracer's our girl, Tracer's our mascot. She'd be my first choice. There's a lot of great runners up. I think a lot of people can immediately see Doomfist gameplay applying to Smash, but if it were up to me, I'd like to see Tracer.
What do you think about this and what Overwatch character would you like to see in Smash?

Reactions: TerraKnight, Jisenku and AricAttack
doomfist, or tracer, or maybe even junkrat and d.va sound like the best choices in my mind tbh.
Mcree could work too I guess, but he doesn't really have an sort of recovery other than a roll.

They almost always pick the current flagship character of any franchise, so Tracer seems an obvious choice. That, and she has the most interesting and unique moveset.

Of course they'd want their characters in smash bros, who wouldn't?
If for some reason they did use a slot on an overwatch character, I honestly think lucio would be the best match. His gimmick could be switching between speed and healing, which could be done with neutral B. In healing form, he would have occasional autoheal and would take less damage, whereas in his speed form he would be much faster and lighter, making recovery from off stage much easier and making it easier to dodge whatever's being thrown at him. They could also toss in this abillity to amplify the effects of his speed/healing forms by making you get a boosted version of them for a few seconds after landing a parry. His abillities would also carry into team battles and buff your teammates as well.

Think it would be related to this?
I think Tracer would be the go-to pick sort of playing like Zero Suit Samus and Joker. At the most imo I only expect Mii costumes. Sure it's a well known series by now but not as e-sports-like as Smash or shall I say the other way around.

As cool as this would be, this does mean that nintendo hasn't even started to approtch them over talks for adding a character into smash, so it's unlikely to happen at least for ages.

Why would Overwatch do such a thing? Aren’t the characters copyrighted?

Why would Overwatch do such a thing? Aren’t the characters copyrighted?
Blizzard made Overwatch, and they themselves have discussed being okay with characters in Smash. Copyright isn't a problem because all the characters are original to the franchise.

Blizzard made Overwatch, and they themselves have discussed being okay with characters in Smash. Copyright isn't a problem because all the characters are original to the franchise.
But Blizzard should at least demand some money before Nintendo uses it in Smash. Right?

But Blizzard should at least demand some money before Nintendo uses it in Smash. Right?

Not really.

The notoriety that being in smash would give the game would probably help much much more than demanding pay. There's likely some kind of contact in the background where the character's company gets some per cent of the sales of the dlc anyway tbh.

Reactions: TerraKnight and Danominator
Not really.

The notoriety that being in smash would give the game would probably help much much more than demanding pay. There's likely some kind of contact in the background where the character's company gets some per cent of the sales of the dlc anyway tbh.
Just having a character in Smash almost automatically raises the source franchise's value, lol.

Reactions: 28142
Just having a character in Smash almost automatically raises the source franchise's value, lol.

And for a game like overwatch that is well... kinda dying..

they need it :p

I could not agree more.

Reactions: Danominator
I could not agree more.
I still think Tracer's unique moveset makes her super viable, plus she's basically the poster girl for Overwatch.

Perhaps with overwatch 2 we'll hear something more. But again though, Blizz saying this means that they (at the time of the statement) have never been approached by nintendo about it.

See this statement is a little dumb tbh. Like who wouldn't want their character in smash? Free publicity for your game in another game that happens to be selling pretty well. You don't even have to design their moveset or anything like that, all they have to do is approve the rights.

No no no the real question is whether or not Nintendo wants to put tracer in smash. And based off of the characters in the fighters pass I'm gonna lean towards no. All the characters in the fighters pass are characters that have been highly requested in a specific region. Overwatch doesn't seem to have the popularity that it would need to get it into smash. Not to mention that the whole tracer for smash thing started after the fighters were selected. Now I know there are more characters outside of the fighters pass but I don't see Nintendo deviating from this path too much. I think Nintendo will use the other slots to put in more fan characters and have some nintendo reps in the DLC. So like a gen 8 pokemon will most certainly be in there. So I just don't think blizzard will get a character into smash anytime soon.

Reactions: 28142
i really hope tracer makes it in since well it the fave of the franchise and her moveset would be original and somehow very op hahah

Back