Bravely Default Bravely Default: review (Full game) *SPOILERS*

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
bravely-default-box-art-1024x936.jpg

Bravely Default is an RPG game that is very similar to the iconic Final Fantasy series. it expands on the job system built but Final Fantasy 3, and improves by adding a twist to the combat system.
The game is set in the world of Luxendarc, and you embark on a quest to awaken the four elemental crystals: Wind, Water, Fire, Earth crystals to save the world from darkness.
You take control of an entire party consisting of four members, who you meet on your quest.
This game features additions that would improve the experience of many RPG games by a tenfold; Adding a slider that you can use to adjust the encounter rate to your likeing. You can turn off random encounters or crank them up to your liking. You can also adjust the ability of the game on the go, adding to the convenience.
The game has a very beautiful visual presentation. The map is hand-drawn, and the overworld looks very beautifully made. The 3D effect also adds a lot of depth, making it useful for finding hidden passages in dungeons or avoiding traps.
The storyline is also very enjoyable and immersive, until the start of Chapter 5.You have to repeat the same process many times, making it a big pushover.
The soundtrack is also well done. They set the mood and tone for each aspect quite well.
The combat system is what this game is all about: You can use Default to store up actions for later, and use Brave to unleash multiple attacks at once. Brave too many times without enough BP and you will be left defenseless.
The game is quite lengthy, You can expect to get around 50 hours of play time if you complete the sidequests.
There are 24 jobs to get, and you can combine the abilities of one job with another for unique combos only you can imagine.
The replay value is something to consider. I don't find myself going through the story many times, but you can decide what you want to do.

Score
Graphics: 10/10
Soundtrack: 10/10
Storyline: 7/10
Replay Value: 4/10
Total: 8.5/10

What are your opinions? Do you like my review? Do you agree? Let me know in the replies below.

I'm on your side, especially about the replay value aspect there. We even have to "replay" the game in one playthrough; that's a shame from Steins;Gate scenario writer. Though I don't know how far SQEX intervene with the original concept.

IMO, the strongest element in BD is the character (Edea-Ringabel duo), the gameplay (Brave-Default is challenging), and the soundtrack (Revo).

I'm on your side, especially about the replay value aspect there. We even have to "replay" the game in one playthrough; that's a shame from Steins;Gate scenario writer. Though I don't know how far SQEX intervene with the original concept.

IMO, the strongest element in BD is the character (Edea-Ringabel duo), the gameplay (Brave-Default is challenging), and the soundtrack (Revo).
Yeah. The main reason I got this game was to see how fat Square Enix have come, and they certainly have come a long way. The music is also well composed.
The reason why I gave this a lower score than 10 was solely because of the reason you have to repeat Chapter 5-8 with the EXACT same dialogues, EXACT sane enemies and you have to view the same scenes, recycled over and over. They could have done a better job with the second half of the game, I beleive

I knew that long time ago, that's why I'm not really enthusiast playing this game. I'm on the end of Chapter 4 anyway.

I knew that long time ago, that's why I'm not really enthusiast playing this game. I'm on the end of Chapter 4 anyway.
Ah. No one spoiled the information to me, and I am willibg to get both the endings.

Ah. No one spoiled the information to me, and I am willibg to get both the endings.
Actually I spoiled myself. And I'm okay with that. Bought the game on the release date, but have been playing it this month :v

Actually I spoiled myself. And I'm okay with that. Bought the game on the release date, but have been playing it this month :v
Oh, haha. I only spoiled the final boss to myself, but only the battle

Back