Building Your Own Computer?

• Thread starter Malladus
  • Start date
Malladus

Malladus

a.k.a. "Panchirito"
Towns Folk
I'm not familiar building a computer but I'm curious building one. I always wanted to build one for gaming but I'm afraid that I might buy the wrong parts or do something wrong. Before even starting building a computer, I want to know the list of all parts that I need to make the computer running. I also need to know what each part/component does because I'm not an expert on computers. I know building computers is not really complicated to do but it does requires some skills if you want to install some component parts.

Trust me, you don't need to know what each component does. Jesus.
Uhh, of the top of my head:
  • Motherboard
  • Ram
  • CPU(+Fan)
  • Power Supply
  • Hard Drive
That's a veeery basic list of what an average computer has. You can get Solid State Drives and Disk Writers and such, but that's the basic list. Make sure the motherboard you get is flexible to getting upgrades. And try not to fry it. Don't bend any of your CPU golden rods, and if you do, don't bother bending them back. If they get stuck in your motherboard, you're gonna have to get a new one.
If you really need to know:
  • Motherboard : This allows the CPU, RAM, and other components to communicate with each other.
  • Ram : A bit confusing. basically, the more Ram you have, the more stuff your compute can do at any one time, as running programs are stored in Ram.
  • CPU : This does all of the functions in your computer.
  • Power Supply : Powers your computer
  • Hard Drive : Stores data, such as music, or your Operating System
Again, a basic list. I could go on and on with what some of this stuff does, but you don't need to know.

Reactions: Malladus, Marc and Mikaya
Also, if you want the computer to be for gaming it's absolutely essential to get a good graphics card. Also make sure you get thermal paste before placing the fan on the microprocessor, as it really cools it a lot especially if you want to overclock. When you're actually building it make sure you get the ports in the right places and whatever you d don't bend anything too much as it will become unusable.
For actual names of models though, we'll need to know your price range and what quality of gaming do you want, but Intel CPUs are pretty good and Nvidia and AMD graphics cards are the good ones. As for motherboards, Asus is one of the better ones to get.

Reactions: Alex and Malladus
..Just combine what I and Askil said. That's all you need to know. Probably.

Reactions: Ashkil
Also, if you want the computer to be for gaming it's absolutely essential to get a good graphics card. Also make sure you get thermal paste before placing the fan on the microprocessor, as it really cools it a lot especially if you want to overclock. When you're actually building it make sure you get the ports in the right places and whatever you d don't bend anything too much as it will become unusable.
For actual names of models though, we'll need to know your price range and what quality of gaming do you want, but Intel CPUs are pretty good and Nvidia and AMD graphics cards are the good ones. As for motherboards, Asus is one of the better ones to get.
Good point. However, buying both a good CPU AND a good GPU is advised, as the CPU should ideally have enough power to feed the GPU. The thermal paste part, you shouldn't really worry about that very much. It is for dissipating the heat efficiently, and too much Thermal paste will fry your heatsink.

Reactions: Malladus and Ashkil
The thermal paste part, you shouldn't really worry about that very much.
(Haha, late comment) Applying thermal paste is extremely important. If you don't you could permanently damage your CPU and waste a good £70. That being said, most CPUs come with thermal paste already applied, but you should always check to be safe. Thermal paste isn't that expensive, either.
This is what I use: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-ZM...hermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item2564845a72
It's fairly cheap, and will probably work on about 4 to 6 processors.

Reactions: 532
(Haha, late comment) Applying thermal paste is extremely important. If you don't you could permanently damage your CPU and waste a good £70. That being said, most CPUs come with thermal paste already applied, but you should always check to be safe. Thermal paste isn't that expensive, either.
This is what I use: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-ZM...hermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item2564845a72
It's fairly cheap, and will probably work on about 4 to 6 processors.
That's true, Thermal paste is a vital aspect of your PC's efficiency. Most of the CPUs I bought were set up, just insert into the slot on the Motherboard.
But, if you take good care of your system, after 1-2 years or a few months depending on usage, you WILL need to apply thermal paste. It's better to be safe than sorry, ya know :p

Solid State Drive for gaming

While SSDs are nice, a regular old drive is more than adequate.

Back