Camera on the switch/switch lite

• Thread starter Deepak
  • Start date
Deepak

Deepak

Professional procrastinator
Towns Folk
So in most of nintendo's past handhelds, theres been some version of a camera, either as an add on or built in. So i was really surprised when the switch didnt have a camera at all. I thought they might introduce it for the switch lite since its a dedicated handheld but i was wrong.

I dont mind the camera being removed as it wasnt feature i used too much. But there were some cool augmented reality games for the 3ds. They kept me occupied for a while (2-3 hours). If the switch had a camera, they could bring back the ar games. Another thing that was possible is pokemon go on the switch. This would have exhibited the portability of the switch and could have helped sell more switches.

So how many of you would want a camera on the switch and why? Did you use it on past consoles?

So in most of nintendo's past handhelds, theres been some version of a camera, either as an add on or built in. So i was really surprised when the switch didnt have a camera at all. I thought they might introduce it for the switch lite since its a dedicated handheld but i was wrong.

I dont mind the camera being removed as it wasnt feature i used too much. But there were some cool augmented reality games for the 3ds. They kept me occupied for a while (2-3 hours). If the switch had a camera, they could bring back the ar games. Another thing that was possible is pokemon go on the switch. This would have exhibited the portability of the switch and could have helped sell more switches.

So how many of you would want a camera on the switch and why? Did you use it on past consoles?
The right joycon has an infrared camera.

Reactions: Deepak
The right joycon has an infrared camera.
And it can sense depth... I'm pretty sure

Those 3D maps on Labo were crazy to look at. They could bring back games using the infrared cameras, but would it really be to their advantage?

I mean, having a camera wouldn't be a bad idea. When I got my 3DS, I played the AR game for a decent amount of time to unlock everything. I'd like to see the AR Cards updated to their current game for the Switch, like BoTW Link and Odyssey Mario.

Reactions: Deepak and Jisenku
A switch with a camera could be neat. They can have something like wii u chat on the switch so it could be like a modern tablet. That just my idea. I'm not sure if other games would utilize the camera but it would be a neat concept.

We have Pokemon Snap with no camera. In reality what would you need a camera on the Switch for? Nintendo probably assumes everyone has a smartphone as well as a Switch which has really good cameras instead of whatever Nintendo could afford. Evidence of this is the various Nintendo apps and MyNintendo rewards. It leaves more room in the future for handhelds to have the option again but in actuality the games are what sells, not the gimmicks. Leave VR to their own devices, in which case a camera or better yet a custom cartridge just like for the Game Boy and DS for only the games that need it.

It's 2021. To be more specific, the console came out in 2017. Of course it has a camera. Surveillance is everywhere and Nintendo is no exception.

If it had a camera, I'd at least want them to do something with it. The camera functionality was mostly forgotten by the 2DS arrived and the Wii U barely used it at all. All it ever really ended up as, to my knowledge, was making semi-realistic Miis, but no one ever used that function either. I tried using it once but my Mii came out looking uglier than the the character in an anime.

What would the Switch ever do with such a function? I'm only here to mercilessly beat down my enemies in Diablo, I really couldn't care less if I wanted to make my Mii look like the cursed lovechild of Shrek and Quasimodo again.

It has no camera but it def should have. It could have had one on the back of the console itself or one of the joycons. However this would have increased the price per console prolly like $10 per unit for a feature most people don't use often, or even much at all.

Back