• Thread starter MewDP
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
MewDP

MewDP

Awesomer than every 3dspedia member ever
Towns Folk
I want to make a fan made pokemon game but I do not know where to start anyone have any tips on how to get started or what to use like which coding language or which video game making program?

I want to make a fan made pokemon game but I do not know where to start anyone have any tips on how to get started or what to use like which coding language or which video game making program?

Depends on what exactly you want to do.
RPG Maker is often used as an easy way to do the thing, though Ruby scripting offers terrible performance (See Java? Well, it's worse), and is terrible to understand.

Otherwise, maybe using Game Maker might hep you as well. I heard the Standard Version became free. Just slap it a plugin or two, and you should be good to go. Also, GML isn't really good though. It's okay to begin programming, but, though it's made to be easier, it doesn't have what makes programming languages good: full control over what you want to do. Plus, you'd have to hard-code the Pokémons' data in the game. (Unless there's a kit made for it, of course)

And the final way: coding your game. Way harder than the "game makers" path, but, you'll gain valuable knowledge about computers and programming, you'll know what happens behind the scenes, and one thing: control. You'll be in full control of what you're doing. Plus, it's not as if there was tons of tutorials on the web to help people make games in (almost) any kind of languages.

Conclusion: If you go with a PL > C++, C (if you find C++ too difficult), Java are your friends. Additionally, C# if it's Windows-only.
If you go with a GM Program > GameMaker or RPG Maker are your friends.

Also, a good tool to use if you need to edit maps is Tiled. Use it if you do the hard way, but, it's efficient and powerful.

Depends on what exactly you want to do.
RPG Maker is often used as an easy way to do the thing, though Ruby scripting offers terrible performance (See Java? Well, it's worse), and is terrible to understand.

Otherwise, maybe using Game Maker might hep you as well. I heard the Standard Version became free. Just slap it a plugin or two, and you should be good to go. Also, GML isn't really good though. It's okay to begin programming, but, though it's made to be easier, it doesn't have what makes programming languages good: full control over what you want to do. Plus, you'd have to hard-code the Pokémons' data in the game. (Unless there's a kit made for it, of course)

And the final way: coding your game. Way harder than the "game makers" path, but, you'll gain valuable knowledge about computers and programming, you'll know what happens behind the scenes, and one thing: control. You'll be in full control of what you're doing. Plus, it's not as if there was tons of tutorials on the web to help people make games in (almost) any kind of languages.

Conclusion: If you go with a PL > C++, C (if you find C++ too difficult), Java are your friends. Additionally, C# if it's Windows-only.
If you go with a GM Program > GameMaker or RPG Maker are your friends.

Also, a good tool to use if you need to edit maps is Tiled. Use it if you do the hard way, but, it's efficient and powerful.
ok thanks for the advice I will look into this stuff and hopefully I can make a good pokemon game.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
ok thanks for the advice I will look into this stuff and hopefully I can make a good pokemon game.

Well, if you need help, feel free to ask ! I'm not a professional programmer/game dev or anything, but, I've used these tools a few times, and programming languages as well, so I can give you tips if needed !

Says the Person who uses Construct 2

Says the Person who uses Construct 2

Please, don't revive threads that are that old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back