Can you transfer Wii U digital games to the Nintendo Switch?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Now that the Switch is out and some people have already gotten their hands on it, I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer Wii U digital games to the Nintendo Switch.

If not all, maybe even some such as VC titles purchased from the eShop for example?

The Switch doesn't have backwards compatibility, which is just one of the myriad reasons it's going to fail miserably.

In February they said that they didn't make backwards compatibility available because they might port more games to the Switch, which translates to, "We won't spend any big money developing new games, but fanboys will fawn over how many 'new' titles the Switch is getting and will buy the game they've finished a million goddamn times again, so that we make more money off people who pay for the name Nintendo rather than actually use their tiny little brains to determine if they're getting their money's worth."

The Switch doesn't have backwards compatibility, which is just one of the myriad reasons it's going to fail miserably.

In February they said that they didn't make backwards compatibility available because they might port more games to the Switch, which translates to, "We won't spend any big money developing new games, but fanboys will fawn over how many 'new' titles the Switch is getting and will buy the game they've finished a million goddamn times again, so that we make more money off people who pay for the name Nintendo rather than actually use their tiny little brains to determine if they're getting their money's worth."

The only reason nintendos past consoles have had backwards compatibility was because the arcitechture and hardware was being used over and over with upgrades each time allowing them to run the games from previous systems without emulation. If nintendo wants actual third party support they need a system that isn't using Game Boy or GameCube hardware.

The only reason nintendos past consoles have had backwards compatibility was because the arcitechture and hardware was being used over and over with upgrades each time allowing them to run the games from previous systems without emulation. If nintendo wants actual third party support they need a system that isn't using Game Boy or GameCube hardware.
If it's quite as powerful as everyone is saying, it ought to emulate games up to at least the Wii perfectly, maybe even the Wii U, because in Nintendo's hands it has resources and tricks that people who make unofficial emulators simply don't (unofficial emulators rely on brute power). Similar to how the PSP could perfectly play any PS1 game, despite being far less powerful - eight or so time - than even the PS2 because Sony officially included emulation.

If it's quite as powerful as everyone is saying, it ought to emulate games up to at least the Wii perfectly, maybe even the Wii U, because in Nintendo's hands it has resources and tricks that people who make unofficial emulators simply don't (unofficial emulators rely on brute power). Similar to how the PSP could perfectly play any PS1 game, despite being far less powerful - eight or so time - than even the PS2 because Sony officially included emulation.
Thing is. The different the arcitechture and weaker the CPU, the slower it emulates. That's why it needs ports. What Sony did was a completely different scenario. The PSP was using PS1 arcitechture since it was made several years after

Thing is. The different the arcitechture and weaker the CPU, the slower it emulates. That's why it needs ports. What Sony did was a completely different scenario. The PSP was using PS1 arcitechture since it was made several years after

The PSP had completely different architecture from the PS1/2. Not counting power, it was closest to the PS3, which needed a Virtual Console-esque service for PS1/2 games.

I distinctly recall you calling the Switch powerful in the battery thread. Plus it apparently has better graphics for BOTW than the Wii U so

The PSP had a simar, but superior MIPS architecture to the PS1, on top of being over more than five times as powerful. Most of the code in the emulator is ran natively (not interpreted, thus far easier to emulate), and it also pushes the PSP to it's limit.

The Switch uses the ARM architecture, which is way too different from the PowerPC architecture, and in spite of it being quite a few times more powerful than the Wii U, proper emulation won't be achieved.

It should be capable of emulating the Wii, but not beyond that, Wii U titles will have to be ported instead.

I think we won´t be able to do such a thing as they claerly stated that the switch is going to be a new console, that has nothing to do with the previous systems. to me, it would be fantastic to do that, since I owm some games on the wii u that are going to be released on the switch, such as mario kart 8. Regarding the Cv, there are no plans yet (apparently) to have one.

I think we won´t be able to do such a thing as they claerly stated that the switch is going to be a new console, that has nothing to do with the previous systems. to me, it would be fantastic to do that, since I owm some games on the wii u that are going to be released on the switch, such as mario kart 8. Regarding the Cv, there are no plans yet (apparently) to have one.
So apparently, you think it will not be able to be backwards compatible as in not be able to play older games from previous consoles, such as Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, which you really liked, as you don't think so because it has not been stated yet, and because the Switch is a new console such as the Wii U in 2013 which had games such as Mario Kart 8, because the Switch is a brand new console (apparently)?

Back