Gen 1 Catching a Mew (Glitch) in Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow

• Thread starter 3905
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So the infamous Mew Glitch is a pretty popular thing people do in Gen 1, and it turns out the glitch is possible to do on the Pokemon VC! So this is just a tutorial for those of you interested to getting a Mew in your RBY game ^-^

What you will need:
●A Pokemon that knows Fly or Teleport (Fly for late game, Teleport for early game)
●An unused trainer which walks up to you once on screen for a battle.
●Unused Youngster with Lvl 17 Slowpoke battle.

Procedure:
1) On the route with the off screen trainer scenario (Either Route 8 Gambler or dude by Nugget Bridge), move 1 step down and open the start menu before the trainer "notices" you.
2) Fly/Teleport to Cerulean. (You'll see that once you have selected the action, the trainer sees you, and before anything else happens, you'll Fly/Teleport away)
3) Battle the Youngster with the Level 17 Slowpoke. (IMPORTANT: Make sure the Youngster has space to walk up towards you, otherwise Game Freeze @-@)
4) After beating him, Fly/Teleport to Lavender Town/Cerulean (Lavender town if you engaged trainer on Route 8, Cerulean if trainer by Nugget Bridge).
5) (IF IN LAVENDER) Walk to the left to Route 8, as you exit the town the Start menu pops up automatically. Closing the menu will start the Mew Encounter!
(IF IN CERULEAN) Walk up towards Nugget Bridge. As you exit, the same thing should hapoen as above, and then your Mew Encounter begins!

Mew will be Level 7 when you encounter it, however you can adjust this! When fighting the Slowpoke trainer, the number of times you use an Attack reducing move (Like Growl), Mew goes down 1 level, and any Attack raising moves (idk any in Gen 1 lul) will raise Mew by 1 level.

I hope you found this information useful, and I believe there a plethora of other ways to Glitch Mew into the game as well, these are just the two I find the easiest.

Smell ya later~​

Reactions: Mikaya, Marc and Jeff The Killer
Nice post. :) I read up on it on Bulbapedia a long time ago, but I never thought I'd use it. But now, since RBY are on the 3Ds this has become very relevant. :thumbsup:

(It was only while playing Pokémon X that I realised "smell ya later" was a play on Au Revoir. Some NPC said there was very famous trainer (*cough Gary cough*) who couldn't get Au Revoir right and instead said Smell ya later. )

I'm totally going to use this when I buy R/B/Y, but knowing my luck I'll end up screwing up :rotfl:

If you growl at the enemy 6 times, Mew will become level 1, then, battle a low level enemy, and after the battle, Mew will become level 100 instantly!!

If you growl at the enemy 6 times, Mew will become level 1, then, battle a low level enemy, and after the battle, Mew will become level 100 instantly!!
Wouldn't that break the glitch chain? Doing another (low level) battle after the youngster rather than flying away?

Wouldn't that break the glitch chain? Doing another (low level) battle after the youngster rather than flying away?
Nononono

You battle the Slowpoke trainer, growl 6 times during the battle, then you go catch Mew, Mew will be level 1, once you have Mew, battle with Mew against a low level enemy, once you win the battle, Mew will hit instantly level 100

Nononono

You battle the Slowpoke trainer, growl 6 times during the battle, then you go catch Mew, Mew will be level 1, once you have Mew, battle with Mew against a low level enemy, once you win the battle, Mew will hit instantly level 100
Oh. Well that's awesome. That must be the quickest way to train a Pokémon I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing! :D

So to help explain this glitch a bit, essentially what's happening is that the Special Stat of a Pokemon you fight after flying away from a long range trainer (aka a trainer who can spot you as soon as they're on the screen) winds up being encountered when you exit either towns during the glitch.

The reason why you get Mew is that Slowpoke's Special stat is 21 which is the index number for Mew in the game's coding, so should you happen to find a Pokemon with a Special stat of 22, you'll encounter a Gyarados and if you find a Pokemon with a Special stat of 20, you'll get an Arcanine. Even though this glitch is more popularly known as the Mew Trick, it has a more accurately known name as the Long Trainer Glitch, because as explained above you can get more than just Mew out of this.

Another thing you'll probably have noticed is that the level is usually 7. The reason you can get a Pokemon with level 1 through Growl is because of how Growl's attack modifier works; what's going on is that the level is affected by the attack modifier, which in any battle is defaulted to 7. Growl can lower that 6 times, dropping it to 1. Likewise, if the opponent was to use a move like Meditate 6 times then the total becomes 13. The level of the Pokemon is affected by this but -6/+6 is the cap so the lowest and highest are 1 to 13 respectively.

So why put put the level down to 1, you ask? Because in Generation I and II games Level 1 isn't meant to be an encounterable level, and the most likely reason is because Level 1 Pokemon have a total experience gain of -54 which due to unsigned integers the game percieves as 16,777,162 experience points. Should you beat a Pokemon and gain less than 54 exp, the game thinks the Pokemon has all that experience and immediately jumps the Pokemon up to Level 100. This is known as the "Experience Underflow Glitch."

Last edited:
Reactions: PersonSP and Zukrad
Back