Certifications vs. Degrees

• Thread starter Teg
  • Start date
Teg

Teg

AC:NL - The Villager
Towns Folk
As a college student I'm currently baffled. I attend Kaplan University (online), however I'm withdrawing from my program in just a few weeks. I went to talk to Kennesaw State University yesterday about transferring to their school. Turns out it's not an option for me at the moment. When I was discussing my plans with the admissions counselor, I was informed that for my degree field, Graphic and Web design and Computer Programming, employers look for certifications and not degrees. I've busted my butt spending way too much money toward a degree to be told this now. Employers want to know that you have the skills to perform the jobs they need done, hence they want certifications.

With that said, I looked into getting my first set of Web Design Certifications and found out it is so much cheaper than getting my degree. I was also told, once I finish my Web Design Cert., I will have the option and opportunity to teach at the college, Introduction to Web Design. I'm stoked about that.

What is your opinion on Certifications vs. Degrees in IT related fields?

this happens alot even with art schools. basically you went to kaplan to learn new skills but they dont tell you that you cant transfer the class material in say school/ or work sometimes. to me certifications are good to get the foot into the door so to speak. and a degree could help you earn bigger jobs right in the beginning. either way both are a way to help you .

Back