SSB for 3DS Character for tournament

• Thread starter Sylvester87
  • Start date
Sylvester87

Sylvester87

Gamer for life
Towns Folk
Hi guys, I want to have a tournament when the others are finished and now my question is:
If you could choose one character for the tournament, who would it be, and why him/her?

Hi guys, I want to have a tournament when the others are finished and now my question is:
If you could choose one character for the tournament, who would it be, and why him/her?

Shulk. I don't know why nobody seems to be careful about him, as he can be tough to deal with if he's used correctly.
While the "Jump" and the "Speed" Monado Arts are useful only if you're far from the stage, the "Shield", the "Attack/Buster" and the "Smash" Monado Arts can really make him a powerful character (Attack to raise damage, then Smash to finish your opponent. And if you have taken a lot of damage, you use Shield, and you counter with his Down+B).

So, there's a lot of possible strategies with him, and if I could give a tip to the beginners, it would be: Go in training mode to learn better how to use him, or watch the Art's outline to know which one you're using. Also, the kanji for it is shown on the Monado.

(PS: I hope you didn't thought I was going to add a famous quote to my post ?)

Reactions: Icemario
Per the above, definitely Shulk. I've used him in basically every tournament match so far, and he has yet to fail me.

While the "Jump" and the "Speed" Monado Arts are useful only if you're far from the stage, the "Shield", the "Attack/Buster" and the "Smash" Monado Arts can really make him a powerful character (Attack to raise damage, then Smash to finish your opponent. And if you have taken a lot of damage, you use Shield, and you counter with his Down+B).
Actually, neither of them are useful if you're far from the stage (unless you had them on already) because you only get one jump when knocked away (but you probably won't survive without using it if you switch to Jump then and there) and Monado Speed weakens your jump height so it usually hurts more than it helps.

But if you're waiting out Monado Buster or Smash, Jump and Speed are useful for buying time, being dodgy and doing a bit of damage in the process. Shield isn't really good for Visions considering the lessened damage and knockback, but it is very helpful when you want to hang on for a bit (like if you're waiting for Buster or Smash).

Personally, I remember the arts by their colours:

Purple - Buster
Red - Smash
Blue - Speed
Green - Jump
Yellow - Shield

Per the above, definitely Shulk. I've used him in basically every tournament match so far, and he has yet to fail me.

Actually, neither of them are useful if you're far from the stage (unless you had them on already) because you only get one jump when knocked away (but you probably won't survive without using it if you switch to Jump then and there) and Monado Speed weakens your jump height so it usually hurts more than it helps.

But if you're waiting out Monado Buster or Smash, Jump and Speed are useful for buying time, being dodgy and doing a bit of damage in the process. Shield isn't really good for Visions considering the lessened damage and knockback, but it is very helpful when you want to hang on for a bit (like if you're waiting for Buster or Smash).

Personally, I remember the arts by their colours:

Purple - Buster
Red - Smash
Blue - Speed
Green - Jump
Yellow - Shield

I didn't know for the Jump and Speed, it was just an hypothesis, since I never use them, and I thought it could help. So, yup, seems like it's useless. As for the Shield + Vision thingy, it's just a small trick I use when I've taken a lot of damage. Of course, it doesn't deal as much as knockback or damage as a Buster/Smash + Vision combo, but it's still viable in some cases (Most of the Neutral A combos can easily be broken that way).

But, yup, it's better to cancel the Shield Monado if you're in the air. It reduces your speed, and thus, it's not really suitable to come back on the stage.
So, yep, Shulk is really nice to play as, and isn't as gimmicky as some members want to let people know. You just need to adapt yourself to the situation and use a Monado that fits the situation.

(I think I'm going to do a small flowchart about which Monado to use for him soon...)

alright thnx guys

Little Mac and Link. They are great at their professions and they are polar opposites fighting style wise (no I don't use both).

i by myself would say robin, come on he knows magic :)

I'd probably be Marth. I main him in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, so I'd be familiar with his moveset, for the most part. I guess I would also play as Dark Pit too. He's pretty much a stronger version of Pit, and he doesn't seem like a bad character.

Back