Coding/programming

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
Mikaya

Mikaya

úwù
Towns Folk
Do you have any experience of coding/programming like HTML/CSS/PHP, that sort of thing?

me: not at all. I wouldn't want to get involved in such complex subjects. xD

Hm, it's not complex at all, you've just got to think in a logical way.

Personally I have quite a bit of programming experience, mostly in web development (despite the fact I much prefer making desktop/mobile applications).

I've tried to learn some Python, but never really got very far. Could anyone recommend a programming language that is good for beginners?

I've tried to learn some Python, but never really got very far. Could anyone recommend a programming language that is good for beginners?
It depends on what you want to do with the code. I'd say that Python is quite easy to learn.

I'm in the same boat as AndroidOS. I have quite a bit of experience, and am a Web Developer. :p

It depends on what you want to do with the code. I'd say that Python is quite easy to learn.

I love Python. :p I'd say go with that, its quite easy to learn, as Starforce says, and there are a load of great tutorials online for it.

Ultimately though, which language you should learn depends on what you want to achieve as your end goal.

I'm pretty good with HTML and CSS, I know some SQL and a little cobol along with menu programming. It's tough stuff to learn.

I've experienced a lot of coding with my computer by intering codes to get specific informations and on my android too when rooting I install some app and even use the android command promp with superuser permission and I hack wifi auter nd even computer pass key because my neighbor when I ask them they won't give me the code

I'm pretty experienced with HTML but CSS I've barely scratched the surface. I'll probably go back to learning it eventually but right now it doesn't interest me much.

Never saw this thread before :eek:, well, time to answer it!

-> I know some Python, C++, and I'm learning how to program in D (It's like Java/C#, without the huge thing to install with it ;)).

Learning Python is a good thing, but before asking for a language, what do you plan to do ? I can give suggestion, but... that's better to know what you want to do first! In any case, here they are:

Games: C++ (highly recommended, for almost any platform), Java (for Android, please, never use it for Windows Applications, please!), C# (for Xbox360)

Web: ASP.NET (Any Language that is .NET Framework compatible), PHP, (X)HTML + CSS + JS...

Mobile: Java (ME for old phones, regular Java for Android), Objective-C (iOS devices).

Scripting: Perl, Python

Regular Apps: Any language, except the Web languages.

I'm taking a Java class, but I'd really like to know how I can get good enough to get a job somewhere. It's pretty hard trying to learn everything on your own and gets pretty time consuming. If anyone has some good sites for Java or any programming language, please tell me.

I'm pretty experienced with HTML but CSS I've barely scratched the surface. I'll probably go back to learning it eventually but right now it doesn't interest me much.

Scratch that, my interest in learning it right now is higher than it could possibly be.

I'm taking a Java class, but I'd really like to know how I can get good enough to get a job somewhere. It's pretty hard trying to learn everything on your own and gets pretty time consuming. If anyone has some good sites for Java or any programming language, please tell me.

Java might be good to start, but the problem is that it's slow. Try C++ or D if you can. They share some of the syntax with Java.
But if you want to keep learning Java, well, here's two website:
http://www.c4learn.com/javaprogramming/
http://www.learnjavaonline.org

Java might be good to start, but the problem is that it's slow. Try C++ or D if you can. They share some of the syntax with Java.
But if you want to keep learning Java, well, here's two website:
http://www.c4learn.com/javaprogramming/
http://www.learnjavaonline.org

Hey, thanks for the websites. They've got some good material which supplements what I'm learning pretty nicely. I actually began programming in C, but I witched over to Java so that I could develop some mobile applications. My goal is to learn and be experienced in both because they are widely used in the industry. I'm also looking into Python for doing scripting. Its syntax seems much simpler although I've only seen a few programs so far.

Hey, thanks for the websites. They've got some good material which supplements what I'm learning pretty nicely. I actually began programming in C, but I witched over to Java so that I could develop some mobile applications. My goal is to learn and be experienced in both because they are widely used in the industry. I'm also looking into Python for doing scripting. Its syntax seems much simpler although I've only seen a few programs so far.

It's okay to use C, it's harder than C++, but it's indeed faster than C++, and used in embedded systems.
As for Python, it is simple, but it is slow (to execute), and require its interpreter at all times. But you can use it with Java (Jython), or for Web applications/pages.

Just curious, how many languages do you know? I've been trying to learn Java on my own, but I don't understand a lot of the tutorials sometimes. I'm not sure where I should start in terms of tutorials because I only have a limited understanding of the language. Did you learn each language by just reading documentation or...?

Just curious, how many languages do you know? I've been trying to learn Java on my own, but I don't understand a lot of the tutorials sometimes. I'm not sure where I should start in terms of tutorials because I only have a limited understanding of the language. Did you learn each language by just reading documentation or...?

Here's the list of the languages that I know:
C - D - C++ - Java (a small bit) - C# (same as Java) - JavaScript - Python

I learnt by following tutorials, looking at the source code of some games/engines (such as Minetest's source code, hard to read though), and reading PDFs/E-Books about programming.

Also, to anybody wanting to try JavaScript, there's CodeAcademy, it's nice enough to start.
Edit: Small tip: try to make small projects to train yourself. Such as small 2D games, a tic-tac-toe, or something like that. Then, try progressively, and you'll gain experience.

Back