Collect or Play?

• Thread starter dan213
  • Start date
dan213

dan213

NintenPedia Member
Towns Folk
I was recently browsing an auction site due to finding some old consoles and being curious. It amazes me how much some older stuff sells for with the purpose of being collectible. Sadly, it makes me remember how old I am being that some of these consoles were the "new thing" when I was growing up.

Does anyone here collect older games or consoles with the intentions of leaving them unopened? There was an episode on Extreme Collectors of a guys (I think his name was Syd Bolton) video collection that was worth some serious money. I think the episode may even be on YouTube if anyone is interested in seeing an awesome collection.

Reactions: Alex.Dips
I only play my games. I've never thought of collecting them to possibly someday sell them for an insane price. I dunno, to me it seems like a waste of money to buy a game or console just to keep it in it's package, but that's what some people enjoy to do so I'm won't hate lol.

Nah, It's not really my kind of thing, although that's a neat idea. Easy way to make big bucks! :p

I don't still have any old consoles so that's out of the window. If I was to have any, I would open them eventually. So this wouldn't work out. xD

I don't see myself ever collecting games. If I have them, they're going to be opened, played and then past down to my kids. I don't have the space to store them while they collect dust.

I only play my old Nintendo games and consoles (that were left over from my brother...) I'm not really into collecting, I'd rather play! I know a guy with a huge collection though! Some people just go all out on it!

Games are made to be played . I collect those old games to play them and not to let them collect dust.

Reactions: T-Player Guy
I haven't really bought any of the older consoles or games in a long time. I still own some, but we don't really play them either. Chances are some day, those games are going to be worth a lot of money. I'd rather keep them in good condition collected than play them so I can assure myself I'm going to be rich some day. (LOL).

I like to play my game. In my opinion I don't see a point to collecting. I guess it is cool to have valuable things, but I would see that as a sellable valued thing. You can look at/collet a picture just the same as a game on a shelf, but you can't play the picture. So, if your not going to play the game sell it and get a picture, it will work the same.

Hah I barely have enough to get much games so I usually rather enjoy and play the game rather than collecting , since collecting can get frustrating kinda but I think that playing the game is more better . but collecting games does have its advantages :rotfl:

I collect to play although there are some games I've had that were purely just to look at. I've never spent a ton of money to get a unopened package though, just always look for a used game that's label is still in great condition. I've found plenty of valuable games for cheap at yard sales and flee markets that still work and are in good condition, which is nice when you get in a bind and need money Lol. besides now a days a person who still has the box, game and manuals could easily get it re-wrapped and call it new, you never know with people.

I prefer to play games that I get, even if they are really old and classics, mostly because keeping them as collection in a corner or something seems rather useless. The point of games is to play them, not keep them locked up in some part of your house for nobody to play. That's just my thoughts on it but other people may think differently.

I only play my games. I find just collecting games and not playing them odd. It's like you bought food but never ate it. I always play my games, long or short. I don't even mind replaying a game that I already beat if I feel like it was worth my time. The only pain is that now all those hours I spent will be lost.

Reactions: 532
Nah, I’d never do that with games. Just merchandise. :p

My view on this si if a game is made to please fans, and to give people a good time, don’t let it stay in its cellophane! Tear that stuff off and play the heck out of it! It’s a video game, that’s what it’s made to do!

Besides, what’s the point of letting it sit on a shelf collecting dust? Guess what? There’s isn’t.

I prefer to just play my games. But I can understand why some people collect and keep them unopened.

I do both! I collect my games, but I mean I play them too. Sealed games are a neat part of history but personally I prefer my collection opened.

Games are meant to be played

Reactions: Samster
I collect some games for the purpose of completing my collection like Kid Icarus and Devil Survivor but they are all pretty fun and I don't want to let money to go to waste so I play them too. Typically on the hardest setting if I know I can beat it and I usually do it just takes some time so I play other games instead so I can savor it (although it doesn't help I forget some of the plot but it doesn't matter because DeSu has a similar plot to it's other media or it all aligns because of a previous plot points).

There just seems to be no point in collecting games and games console. There seems to be no point in having something sit around collecting dust for a long time when you could be using it and actively playing it.
There is no merit to having something be there and not be used. When you pass the earth one day, there will be no achievement in having had games consoles lie about your house. However the memories that you can have of the games that you play will be there with you till the day that you die. The value of the console may be ever increasing but the value of those memories is priceless.

To be honest I had a while where I bought a lot of games I always wanted to play but then I guess I got choice paralysis and I didn't really progress to them. I never really thought about collecting them to never touch them tough. I still want to go through many of them that I missed during the time they were out.

I collect games and consoles, and usually if there preowned I play with them. I think it's fun to collect things for fun and that's why I love doing it. Sometimes if things are boxed I lay with it but try to do it less often because i think it will destroy or worn out the game/console. But most things i buy are either unboxed or in a case so I don't really mind playing those types of games/consoles.

I prefer playing a game than rather having a game collect dust unsealed on a shelf. Seems kinda sad just to leave a game on a shelf to not be touched imo. Theres nothing wrong with displaying your games just to only buy them just to only show them off seems really boring imo.

Back