Competitive Builds (G6): Charizard-Megas

• Thread starter CrazyElf
  • Start date
CrazyElf

CrazyElf

Apart of Santa's Workshop
Towns Folk
Charizard is a powerful and unique Pokemon, receiving the love from many Pokemon Trainers in every Gen since G1. Due to this, in Gen 6, the introduce of Mega allowed Charizard to get 2 Mega Evoulutions! The Charizard-Megas became more powerful, and are constantly used in competitive play. Want some sets? Here yah go:

d063d2b775dee12a8cc73f05d7b9b589.png

Charizard@Y
Drought
EVS-252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed 4 Sp. Defense
Timid
-Solarbeam
-Fire Blast/Heat Wave/Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-HP Ground
This set is used to offer great coverage. Charizard must sweep fast, with all its moves. Now lets start explaining the moveset. Now, we all know a Charizard Y must carry Solarbeam, to offer Water Coverage. Then we have a choice of Fire Blast or Heat Wave, for the Fire STAB. Fire Blast has amazing power, but lacks accuracy. Heat Wave offers a greater accuracy, but weaker power. Although, if you don't like any of those moves, go for a decent Flamethrower. Air Slash is for another STAB and flinch chance. HP Ground is there to offer coverage.

Charizard@Y
Drought
EVS-252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Timid
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Focus Blast
-Dragon Pulse/Air Slash
This set is basically used to offer a great amount of coverage. Sweep fast and knock out a variety of types is the goal of this Charizard.

Charizard@Y
Drought
EVS-252 Sp. Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense
Timid/Modest
-Overheat
-Solarbeam
-Roost
-Ancient Power
This set is awfully strange. You might've seen it before, but may have not used it. A Timid nature is used to sweep FAST, but Modest is used to hit hard. The 1st 2 moves are high in power, so use a Modest nature if you want to deal a high amount of damage. But I would recommend a Timid nature, because a fast sweep is more important then doing increased damage, in my opinion. Roost is to basically heal. Ancient Power is a move used to increase your power.

Charizard@X
Tough Claws
EVS-252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Defense
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz
-Thunder Punch
This is pretty standard. You should know what does what.

Charizard@X
Tough Claws
EVS-252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP
Jolly
-Substitute
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Focus Punch
This is a fast SubPunch set. Dragon Claw and Fire Punch is STAB+Tough Claws=Massive damage. Then just to along with the Substitute and Focus Punch combo.

Charizard@X
Tough Claws
EVS-252 Attack 252 Speed 4 Sp. Defense
Jolly
-Dragon Claw
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake/Roost
This set is well known. You should know what does what.

This is all I got so far, so if you have any, post one below. Peace out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marc
Nice @CrazyElf

For Char X, I personally prefer Outrage over Dragon Claw for the extra power. Of course, you should know not to use the move if your opponent has a fairy cause you wouldn't want to get locked after taking out a Pokemon.

Moves:
-> Outrage
-> Earthquake
-> Dragon Dance
-> Flare Blitz

For Char Y, I like using flamethrower, solarbeam, air slash and dragon pulse. Dragon Pulse is mainly to destroy dragons, especially Adamant Dragon Dancing Charizard X.

Flare Blitz also gets the tough claws boost btw (I see you noted that about fire punch but not flare blitz).

Reactions: CrazyElf
Nice @CrazyElf
Flare Blitz also gets the tough claws boost btw (I see you noted that about fire punch but not flare blitz).
Ahh, I knew that xD. For the 2nd X set, I chose Fire Punch over Flare Blitz, just for the no recoil. Also, FB will probably kill your Sub, when you have it set up.

Last edited:
All the move sets seem good but i do have a question what one would be better in competitive play charizard x or charizard y or are they equal or something like that but yeah i definetley like the first move set on there for charizard y.

All the move sets seem good but i do have a question what one would be better in competitive play charizard x or charizard y or are they equal or something like that but yeah i definetley like the first move set on there for charizard y.
It depend on what you want and are looking for. Y ruins other weather related teams and is more of a Special Attacker and X is a Physical Attacker (which cannot be burned which is great) with Dragon Dance being very useful to it however if you start outraging it's going to be walled by Fairies so you'll need to teambuild around it.

It depend on what you want and are looking for. Y ruins other weather related teams and is more of a Special Attacker and X is a Physical Attacker (which cannot be burned which is great) with Dragon Dance being very useful to it however if you start outraging it's going to be walled by Fairies so you'll need to teambuild around it.
thanks Atisian i think i'll probally use mega charizard y for my team just because with the drought abillty if i teach it solar beam it will be awesome anway thanks for the help guys.

thanks Atisian i think i'll probally use mega charizard y for my team just because with the drought abillty if i teach it solar beam it will be awesome anway thanks for the help guys.
If you are going to use a Fire/Flying-typing Pokemon, you might as well get a spinner. A 50% health lost Charizard-Y is pretty ugly. How about an Excadrill spinner? It's powerful. I have one set for you right now. Pretty decent set.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense
Adamant
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Thanks crazyelf i think i will add a excadrill to my team it seems like a good idea by the way i wanted to put a fairy pokemon on my team was not sure which one though i was thinking sylveon but i'm not sure.

If you are going to use a Fire/Flying-typing Pokemon, you might as well get a spinner. A 50% health lost Charizard-Y is pretty ugly. How about an Excadrill spinner? It's powerful. I have one set for you right now. Pretty decent set.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Defense
Adamant
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
That's why my Char Y has Roost and I have Wall support from Klefki

Thanks crazyelf i think i will add a excadrill to my team it seems like a good idea by the way i wanted to put a fairy pokemon on my team was not sure which one though i was thinking sylveon but i'm not sure.
One good Fairy-cleric is Florges. Florges is a better Sylveon IMO. All of its stats are higher then Sylveon besides HP. The HP base stat difference isn't much. Anyways, I can give you the standard Florges-cleric set:

Florges @ Leftovers
Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
Calm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Aromatherapy

Like I said, this is a standard Florges-cleric set. Use it over Sylveon IMO.

One good Fairy-cleric is Florges. Florges is a better Sylveon IMO. All of its stats are higher then Sylveon besides HP. The HP base stat difference isn't much. Anyways, I can give you the standard Florges-cleric set:

Florges @ Leftovers
Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Defense / 4 Sp. Attack
Calm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Wish
- Aromatherapy

Like I said, this is a standard Florges-cleric set. Use it over Sylveon IMO.
I faced one of those today. It supported a Poison Heal Gliscor if that helps... although they didn't win.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Atk/ 188 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Charizard X is one of my favorite megas competitively, its Fire/Dragon typing is nothing short of amazing, allowing it to resist electric type attacks while taking neutral damage from both water and ice type attacks, and this set takes advantage of that typing and Charizard X's decent bulk to give it more of a pivot role while still managing to have some offensive pressure. Let's talk about the EVs, we have 248 HP EVs to give us an odd HP number so we can take less damage from Stealth Rocks, 32 Atk EVs so Earthquake can OHKO Heatran, 188 SpD EVs so you can tank Hydro Pumps/Volt Switchs from Rotom W while also being able to absorb Will O Wisps and we have 40 Spe EVs so we can outspeed min speed Landorus T and potentially get a burn off with Will O Wisp. What's also great about this set is that it can beat Bisharp at +2 and Azumarill and can also check Thundurus relatively well. Feel free to adjust the EVs to your liking if you'd like more Atk or Speed investment or maybe you would like to make the set more physically defensive its understandable, but I highly recommend you try out this set in the future, as it is definitely one of my favorite sets to use in the 6th gen.

Here are some calcs if you're interested
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 117-138 (32.5 - 38.4%) -- 97.8% chance to 3HKO

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 37-44 (10.3 - 12.2%) -- possible 9HKO

252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 67-79 (18.6 - 22%) -- possible 5HKO

252 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 60-71 (16.7 - 19.7%) -- guaranteed 6HKO

+2 252 SpA Thundurus Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 238-280 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 213-252 (71 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

32+ Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 388-460 (100.5 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 188 SpD Mega Charizard X: 250-295 (69.6 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 174-205 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

32+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 166-196 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Mine :)

Charizard @ Charizardite X / Y
Nature : Adamanat / Modest
Ability : Tough Claws / Drought
EVs : 252 Attack-Speed, 6 HP / 252 Sp.Attack-Speed, 6 HP
- Outrage / - Heat Wave
- Slash / - Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Dance / - Solar Beam
- Substitute / - Air Slash
I dont know what im thinking about Mega Charizard X, but i think Charizard Y is perfect.
Heat Wave is very useful in Double or Triple Battle and with Drought it'll be more powerful, and make Solar Beam dont have to charge. Dragon Pulse as always, to counter Dragon

I have another Charizard X to show off

EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk/ 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sword Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Sword Dance can help you break through stall teams easier, Tailwind can give Charizard a boost or you can give a team member the speed boost as a last ditch effort. Flare Blitz for a powerful STAB move, and honestly you could run Dragon Claw but I prefer Outrage on this set so can KO threats like Dragonite, Keldeo and Terrakion unboosted after entry hazards. 56 HP EVs give us an odd HP number and enough bulk to set up, 252 Atk EVs just for the sheer power and 200 Spe EVs so we can outpace positive nature base 80s.

I have another Charizard X to show off

EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk/ 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sword Dance
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage

Sword Dance can help you break through stall teams easier, Tailwind can give Charizard a boost or you can give a team member the speed boost as a last ditch effort. Flare Blitz for a powerful STAB move, and honestly you could run Dragon Claw but I prefer Outrage on this set so can KO threats like Dragonite, Keldeo and Terrakion unboosted after entry hazards. 56 HP EVs give us an odd HP number and enough bulk to set up, 252 Atk EVs just for the sheer power and 200 Spe EVs so we can outpace positive nature base 80s.
Interesting set. Never seen that before. Looks great.

I added the Charizard - Megas images in the thread, for an update lol.

Here is my go on a newly attempted set.

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Attack / 56 Speed
Nature: Adamant
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Roost
Random set I just came up of. I guess this could work as a Shuffler/Staller set. Flare Blitz is used for the STAB/Tough Claws boost. Dragon Tail is used for shuffling the opponent's Pokemon. Having an entry hazard on the opponent's field with the conjunction of Dragon Tail is very helpful. Toxic is a stall move used to slowly cause damage to the opponent. Will-o-Wisp does the same, but halves the opponent's attack. Roost is used to heal and stall. This Charizard has some flaws, but I just thought of this from straight out of my head. I feel like this set can be pretty decent on a stall team.

Interesting set. Never seen that before. Looks great.

I added the Charizard - Megas images in the thread, for an update lol.

Here is my go on a newly attempted set.

Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Attack / 56 Speed
Nature: Adamant
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic / Will-o-Wisp
- Roost
Random set I just came up of. I guess this could work as a Shuffler/Staller set. Flare Blitz is used for the STAB/Tough Claws boost. Dragon Tail is used for shuffling the opponent's Pokemon. Having an entry hazard on the opponent's field with the conjunction of Dragon Tail is very helpful. Toxic is a stall move used to slowly cause damage to the opponent. Will-o-Wisp does the same, but halves the opponent's attack. Roost is used to heal and stall. This Charizard has some flaws, but I just thought of this from straight out of my head. I feel like this set can be pretty decent on a stall team.
Yeah, looks good
maybe i'll use this
Ability : Tough Claws
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Attack / 6 Defense
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
I'll combine this Charizard with my hazard setter and Trick Room setter, Roost for recover looks very good after Flare Blitz

Back