Competitive Builds (G6): Trevenant

• Thread starter FLCL
  • Start date
FLCL

FLCL

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
What if I told you Trevenant, a Pokemon who is normally used as a Status Absorber or used in a SubSeed role, actually has a set with sweeping potential? You probably wouldn't believe me, I mean with a pitiful base 56 Speed stat, how could this Pokemon sweep anything? Well, I'll tell you how, with a set that might seem a little gimmicky and luck reliant, is completely viable in the UU tier.

Trevenant @ Starf Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Phantom Force

The main purpose of this set is trying to Trevenant in a position where it can set up Subs to the point where your Starf Berry activates, and abuse Harvest for a potential sweep. Obviously even with a Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs, Trevenant is going to need Sticky Web support, Shuckle can accomplish this quite nicely, you will also need a teammate capable of dealing with Grass types, Darmanitan or Toxicroak fit this role quite well. Discussing the moveset, we have Substitute to avoid status and to activate our Starf Berry safely, Horn Leech for STAB, Earthquake for coverage and Phantom Force for STAB and help regenerate our berry through Harvest. Anyways, that's the set and I hope you try it out sometimes.

Reactions: Ashkil
Interesting set, 104 attack is pretty damn good. Personally though, I prefer shadow claw to phantom force since it, like fly, is just way too easy to set up on and punish. And while I get the use in regenerating the berry, trevanant doesn't really have the defenses to make this really work out. Unfortunately, there isn't the widest movepool to choose from. Rock slide is another potential move, but the only place I can see it really effective is against talonflame which would priority kill you anyway.
Also this set might work better in a trick room team, maybe with cresselia as lead to set trick room. Unfortunately it's more of a doubles team but still worth considering.

Interesting set, 104 attack is pretty damn good. Personally though, I prefer shadow claw to phantom force since it, like fly, is just way too easy to set up on and punish. And while I get the use in regenerating the berry, trevanant doesn't really have the defenses to make this really work out. Unfortunately, there isn't the widest movepool to choose from. Rock slide is another potential move, but the only place I can see it really effective is against talonflame which would priority kill you anyway.
Also this set might work better in a trick room team, maybe with cresselia as lead to set trick room. Unfortunately it's more of a doubles team but still worth considering.
Starf Berry can potentially give it the Defense boosts it needs, I see no reason not to use Phantom Force because by the time you start setting up with Trevenant all threats should either be dealt with or weakened and while using Phantom Force your opponent can't Defog, also Trevenant's base Atk is 110, not 104.

Hmm, will it really be bulky enough though? It's HP is certainly solid but what it's defense and Sp Def are somewhat lacking. Unfortunately I've never been totally comfortable with using berries, so I've always avoided using them, but I can see how it could work.
110 attack, sorry my mistake*

What if I told you Trevenant, a Pokemon who is normally used as a Status Absorber or used in a SubSeed role, actually has a set with sweeping potential? You probably wouldn't believe me, I mean with a pitiful base 56 Speed stat, how could this Pokemon sweep anything? Well, I'll tell you how, with a set that might seem a little gimmicky and luck reliant, is completely viable in the UU tier.

Trevenant @ Starf Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Phantom Force

The main purpose of this set is trying to Trevenant in a position where it can set up Subs to the point where your Starf Berry activates, and abuse Harvest for a potential sweep. Obviously even with a Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs, Trevenant is going to need Sticky Web support, Shuckle can accomplish this quite nicely, you will also need a teammate capable of dealing with Grass types, Darmanitan or Toxicroak fit this role quite well. Discussing the moveset, we have Substitute to avoid status and to activate our Starf Berry safely, Horn Leech for STAB, Earthquake for coverage and Phantom Force for STAB and help regenerate our berry through Harvest. Anyways, that's the set and I hope you try it out sometimes.
You might want to add more sets IMO (that's what I did on my builds) :thumbsup:. Anyways, good build.

Trevenant, The Greatest Tree To Have Ever Lived
20141021054821%21Trevenant_anime.png

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Wood Hammer / Leech Seed
A pretty standard and basic set. Leech Seed is used to heal, with the harvested Sitrus Berries, and with those healing combined, you can recover lots of HP in only a couple turns. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple the enemy's Attack, and slowly cause damage. Protect is a stalling move, used for healing from Leech Seed and Sitrus Berry, while slowly causing damage to the enemy from burn damage. Wood Hammer can be your attacking move, although, there can be other choices...

Trevenant @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef / 4 Def
Nature: Impish
- Curse / Will-O-Wisp
- Phantom Force
- Horn Leech / Curse
- Rest
This set is used to take advantage of Trevenant's Harvest Ability. Using the Chesto Berry and Rest, this set is pretty great for stalling. Curse is used to up the defenses of Trevenant's stats, with a little cost of Speed. Will-O-Wisp can be used for stall damage, and to cripple the enemy's Attack. Phantom Force has STAB, while taking two turns for the increased chance of another Chesto Berry being harvested. Horn Leech is used for another STAB and for more health being recovered. Finally, Rest is used to take advantage of the Chesto Berry and Harvest Ability, where it can recover health, and be woken up from Sleep condition with the berry.
(Note: Italics on movesets go together)

Last edited:
While I like these sets quite a lot, I think that Lios is trying for a more offensive set while you're going for a more stalling defensive set.

Back