RMT / Team Help Competitive Team Suggestions?

• Thread starter SaiSymbolic
  • Start date
SaiSymbolic

SaiSymbolic

The user of Hermit Purple
Towns Folk
Can someone give suggestions for my competitive team? I've only got about three pokemon that I've decided to use but I become a bit stumped when it comes to adding other things. Here's my three:

Gallade @ Expert Belt
Steadfast
Psycho Cut, Night Shade, Close Combat, Will-o-Wisp
Adamant - 236 HP/252 Atk/20 SpDef
[He was the pokemon I decided to build my team around. He could've been a great sweeper but his speed is pretty crap. At first, I put Thunder Wave on him to help outspeed opponents but I realized that he'd probably beat special attackers easier due to his good SpDef so I wouldn't send him out against physicals unless I had no choice. Because of that, I decided on Will-o-Wisp to cut down their attack and help him hang in the the game longer. Expert belt instead of life orb because, even though I put EVs into his HP, he'd still probably get knocked out against a physical pokemon in one hit and he needs to retain all the HP he can.]

Sableye @ Lum Berry
Prankster
Taunt, Recover, Will-o-Wisp, Foul Play/Confuse Ray
Bold - 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpDef
[He's the prankster and the setup blocker. Thought he would be a good compliment to Gallade's weakness of ghost with the downfall of sharing a weakness to fairy types. Depending on what mode, I thought Foul Play would be better for Singles so he can have some offensive while in Doubles he'd be a full-time saboteur pokemon. I put Lum Berry instead of leftovers because he's not a stalling type even though I buffed up his defenses; that's so he doesn't get KO'd before I can get taunt and will-o-wisp off. Same for the reason I put recover on him--so he can last longer.]

Aggron @ ?
Sturdy
Earthquake, Heavy Slam, Curse, Stealth Rock
Sassy - 240 HP/80 Def/188 SpDef
[He's probably going to be the lead of my team as he has stealth rock. I needed a pokemon that had an advantage over fairy-type and it was between him, Skarmory and Metagross. I can't get a Metagross in my game and I can't get stealth rock on Skarmory so I got Aggron. He's also the tank of the team and I gave him curse to boost his defense and attack so he can get off some good damage while he's on the field. Can't use Mega because you have to have Pokemon Y to get it and I have X >:/ ]

I know I need a physical sweeper; Gallade is more of a special killer in my eyes. And probably another setup or support pokemon but I'm not sure as to what. I also probably need a special tank... Might swap out Aggron for Mawile now that I think about it but I really wanted to use Aggron as a tank but Mawile is a steel/fairy-type and would probably support Gallade and Sableye better...

I'm stumped :/

Suggestions would be appreciated :)

Hm... I'm not that much of an expert, but let's see If I can help you out.
Here's a gallade set you could possibly work with.

Even with Burn, unless invested in Defence, Gallade can be taken out by a physical attacker. So let's remove Will-o-Wisp and focus on it's strengths rather than covering up for it's weaknesses.
Gallade @ Assault vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SPDef / 112 HP
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Knock Off / Shadow Sneak

(Shadow sneak is an egg move.)
Gallade is someone that can take advantage of an assault vest. With these EV investments, at 31 IVs, You will have 302 Special defence. With the assault vest bonus, it becomes a whopping 453. (Meaning you can switch in on a special attacker without much trouble.)
305 HP is a nice odd number, which helps you keep more HP when faced with Entry hazards and such.
The rest go into attack. With Adamant nature and 31 IV's, it becomes a 383. This might be a better way to use your Gallade for the same function.

There's your Gallade. A physical attacker who can face Specially offensive Pokemon to take them out. He isn't a sweeper, and is more of a tank of sorts.
I might work on helping you sometime when I'm not sleep deprived, and can actually focus on this. But My advice is, when you're building your team, you can learn through trial and error. Before you finalise and start breeding, test your team out on http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/
You can learn through experience of using it, and you'll be able to fix your team if it needs any fixing.
It'll be really useful in the long run. ;)
Also, try to look for a Physically defensive Pokemon that Gallade can have good Synergy with. You'll have to switch into that a lot to make sure Gallade isn't hit by a physical attack, which could potentially kill it. Physically defensive Aggron seems nice, but Physically defensive Tyrannitar can Stop Talonflame, which is a common threat you'll face if battling in the OU tier. Though, the Sandstorm it brings may disadvantage your team in some ways.
Keep at it. You'll figure something out. ^^

Okay, thanks XD That setup you provided looks pretty good and luckily I just got a breeded larvitar via Wonder Trade.

Okay, thanks XD That setup you provided looks pretty good and luckily I just got a breeded larvitar via Wonder Trade.
Good luck with the team Building. I'll tell you if I come up with something. ;)

I agree that a tyranitar with stealth rock might work better but if you want to use attribute here's my suggestion.
Aggron @aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Sassy
EVs: - 240HP /60 Attack /208SDEf
-Thunder wave
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Iron Head/Brick Break
Mega evolving aggron makes him an unkillable tank with massive physical defenses and a great ability in filter. This provides excellent synergy with gallade as he's the physical tank to gallade.
As for the moveset, stealth rock is great on aggron as it can easily survive multiple hits and guarantee that the rocks go up. Thunder wave is great utility and helps your team tremendously. Earthquake is a solid attack with no real downside. For the final slot you can put either iron head for more power and a good stab or brick break for coverage. If you want a more attacking aggron you can trade the thunder wave for brick break.
The EVs are totally up to you, you can go full defensive and rely on gallade for special, or you can mix in some attack and special defense like I did to provide a little extra power and sustainability against special attackers.
As for the rest of your team you'll need some solid offense now. Talonflame, bisharp, dragonite, gyarados and gengar are all excellent choices.

Reactions: FirstSerpent
Back