Cris Tales - Time travel based RPG coming to Switch

• Thread starter Mizunil
  • Start date
Mizunil

Mizunil

Born at a young age
Towns Folk
• Experience the Past, Present, and Future Simultaneously – Peer into and learn from the past, decide on actions in the present, and alter the course of the future in ways that will reshape the world dynamically depending on the choices you make.

Cris Tales was developed by Dreams Uncorporated, SYCK, and published by Modus Games. The release date is still "to be determined", but it'll be coming out in 2021.

• A Love Letter to Classic JRPGs – Inspired by timeless JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Valkyrie Profile, and modern classics like Bravely Default and Persona 5, meet and recruit a unique cast of teammates, challenge myriad enemies, and make your way through an expansive world.

• Master Strategic Turn-Based Combat – Warp your enemies into the past or future, synchronize attacks for enhanced group abilities, and master the timing of attack and defense to go beyond your party’s limits in combat.

• Uncover a Fascinating Story & Characters – The Empress’ plot to destroy the world is complex and layered. Use your wits and recruit powerful allies throughout the world to uncover and undo her multi-faceted web and make your way to the True Ending of this enchanting tale.

• Discover a Beautiful World – Climb aboard an airship or boat and traverse this beautifully hand-drawn 2D fairytale world. From the shining kingdom of Crystallis to the slums of Saint Clarity, discover each unique location and shape its future.

There's a demo out on the switch, and its about an hour long. To say it simply, I really enjoyed the demo. The art-style was amazing and was what initially got me to try the demo out.

1612130434192.png
1612130454190.png
those graphics are stunning tbh
0DD88BEE-6AF2-48AE-8369-97352B529224.jpeg
combat system ^
F0B9FB1C-7623-45E3-BA57-BE8A0BBE8F0D.jpeg
your decisions affect the gameplay :eek: and frog
00DC7756-E0CF-42CD-87AA-8C7091926B7F.jpeg
1612130479471.png
more combat system

The games overworld and movement/perspective reminds me of Paper Mario TTYD. The combat system seemed promising (a little confusing at first, but that's many games) and reminded me of the AlphaDream Mario & Luigi games. You can time your "a" button to do extra damage while attacking and to defend yourself during enemy attacks.

The overworld features a "time system" as seen in the trailer. You can manipulate/investigate events that happen in the past and future to help maneuver your way through puzzles. As you progress, you also learn how to use this ability in battle which creates a more complex combat system.

I'm most likely going to add this game to my wishlist and grab it in the future, and I suggest you try out the demo for yourself!

So are any of you interested in the game, likes & dislikes, and what are your thoughts on the game?

Attachments

• 36403CC0-DD05-4BA1-969F-AD43B5EF45AF.jpeg
    36403CC0-DD05-4BA1-969F-AD43B5EF45AF.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 7
  • F3FFA93F-20B0-4345-A802-971FC4452181.jpeg
    F3FFA93F-20B0-4345-A802-971FC4452181.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 7
  • C5244ED3-C305-4C65-92E0-67A316EDD304.jpeg
    C5244ED3-C305-4C65-92E0-67A316EDD304.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1612130436062.png
    1612130436062.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Artisan
Looks cute. It certainly looks different from others in the genre. I've seen some engaging gameplay from M&L combat so I hope it works out in it's favor. I was thinking it would work like BIS where enemies move between playable characters from different timelines to fight. Not sure if I like the fairy tale setting but that's just me.

Reactions: Mizunil
Early 2021 is the planned release date ^^

What are the chances, a new trailer just came out 5 minutes ago :eek:

Features some gameplay, and the release date is July 2021!

Small edit: Forgot to say in the original post, but the whole game has voice acting which is a huge plus!

Last edited:
Reactions: 28142
This game looks really cool. Originally I wasn’t interested in this game. But that was because i had this confused with another game.
A67DE738-655A-4D8B-95C4-8759839BD077.jpeg
But after seeing the trailer I see that this is completely different. And I love the art style. And time travel makes this a super interesting game. I’m expecting some chrono-trigger-esque gameplay. I hope its less than 20 bucks.

I hope its less than 20 bucks.

Going by other Modus games of the same ranking, it'll most likely be around £30-40

Reactions: Mizunil, Jisenku and Deepak
Going by other Modus games of the same ranking, it'll most likely be around £30-40
$36~48 USD

Been looking forward to this for a while. Excited to finally see a release date!

Reactions: 28142 and Deepak
Mmm I don't love the art style. I still have to play the Chrono Trigger before I get into any other time travelling RPGs haha.

Cracks knuckles

I'm just downloading the playtest build (not the demo) as we speak so after this point all my thoughts will be under NDA. So, I'll just give what thoughts I have currently before that point based on public information.

I've not played the demo, but from the looks of the trailers it's looking pretty interesting. The art style is incredibly cool, very unique. The huge triangle that seems to overlay the gameplay seems like it might get annoying but we'll see I guess. Sort of looks like a semi-generic JRPG but the time stuff looks neat, hopefully that'll give the game enough spice in the gameplay to make it fresh and new.

This late in the release date is probably going to be decently solid, modus doesn't budge too much from most release dates, especially after a couple delays already, for better or for worse.

Reactions: Mizunil and Deepak
for some reason it makes me think of bug fables in the sence of talk about paper mario ttdy.
this game i would consder playing , it has charm and looks like fun.
the art style is nice and it remind me a little of wakfu anime for some reason.
on the fence with this one as not have much space on switch and already have most space sd i could possible get at the time and no t in position to afford 256gb or larger sd for switch.
still in home limbo due to covid19.
i like games like this but i would even more so if i was 20 years younger.

Reactions: LittlegiantRobo
Back