Dataminer reveals information about the Nintendo Switch revision

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Suspected 4K, better battery life, and slightly better performance.

See what the dataminer had to say below in full:
SciresM said:
Nintendo actually is working on a new model with upgraded display stuff and has been for ~1.5-2 years. I personally believe it's 4K given the signs I'm seeing in the firmware, but that's not confirmed yet and could be wrong.

The new hardware is codenamed Aula, it's using a Mariko SoC. There's a bunch of references to it in code (atmosphere supports the new display already in theory).

The tablet itself definitely has an upgraded display, I don't know if it's 4K.

Aula has firmware support some Realtek chip that advertises itself as a "4K UHD multimedia SoC", too, hence my belief it's 4K. That chip might be inside a new dock and not inside the tablet, though, there's no way to tell from the firmware code yet.

Aula explicitly supports handheld mode. It is not docked only; that's calcio, which seems like it's for internal only/never releasing since Calcio has no gamecard slot and no battery.

You can check boot sysmodule display code if you're curious. The new display doesn't support power management pwm, it has its own vendor specific bs I had to reverse engineer and implement a month or two ago.

Mariko has *substantially* better cooling and battery life. It's a bona fide die shrink over the original generation.

My best guess (pure speculation, no firmware indication this is the case) is that if they need extra performance, they'll push it to higher clock rates across the board.

But yeah, I speculate games will be like "DSi enhanced" games were, or like how some games benefited from PS4 Pro despite working on PS4.

Checked my previous discussions with hexkyz, the upgraded tablet display is an OLED screen. Probably not higher resolution on tablet itself, so I guess the 4k realtek chip is more likely to be new dock than I thought it was.

Vanilla probably won't.

We're in the realm of speculation. Aula has new GPIO that redbox doesn't related to support for this, so I would tentatively guess that redbox units won't support the new thing.
What do you think?

Reactions: phofufury, Mizunil, Jisenku and 1 other person
If it has all this then im guessing its gonna be bigger than the switch. And i'd really like to see games like botw or smash bros in 4k.

Reactions: Mizunil and phofufury
This seems pretty interesting. We definitely expected an upgrade but this does have me worried. Do we know if we should expect a lot of new games to be exclusive to the upgraded console? Will older games look better in the older console or just run better? Personally I think the switch looks great for what it is but upgrading textures could make it look even better. I hope there isn’t a lot of exclusive games because I don’t play on having too much spare money to spend on an upgrade at launch.

Reactions: Mizunil
Now what if I owned a Switch and put it in the new dock. I'm guessing there is no hardware in the dock and it's all in the tablet right? Sounds great but not everyone owns a 4K TV. I'm stuck with a 720p TV and it works just fine. Exclusive games are good to see but if there's no Melee 4K then it's a no way.

Too speculative. I’m waiting for an announcement from Nintendo before I give any of this next-gen Switch talk any credence, and so far they’ve flatly denied that one is coming in the foreseeable future.

at this point ,it would be more reasonable to think that nintendo would release a "switch 2" with retrocompatibility and performance upgrades for "switch 1" games instead of just a pro version of the switch

Back