Deciding which Monster Hunter game is for you

• Thread starter PalD2
  • Start date

Which game is the most appealing to you?

• Monster Hunter Generations (MHG)

• Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (MH4U)

• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (MH3U)

Results are only viewable after voting.
PalD2

PalD2

Just some guy on the interwebs
Towns Folk
First of all, there is no cut-and-dry answer to which one you should buy. Instead, I will categorize them to help you choose which one is the best for you.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (MH3U):

Pros:
  • In addition to being available for 3ds, this version is also available for Wii U, making this the only monster hunter game on this list that you can (currently) play on a home console.
  • You are able to transfer your character between the 3ds and Wii U version.
  • Cheap. You can get the 3ds version for $10 (used) and the Wii U version for $15 to $20 (used).
Cons:
  • Old. The game is over 4 years old and the online system may not be supported that far into the future.
  • You can't play online in the 3ds version. Online is only for Wii U
  • Not as many people playing online. Sure, there will be some people, but not as many in comparison.
  • You can't mount monsters.
  • There is no kinsect in this entry.
  • No Hunter arts/styles.
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (MH4U):

Pros:
  • Second newest game in the series, although it came out in 2013, (I can't believe that it's that old already >_<).
  • Has a some-what large player base still online (a lot of the people on the pedia still play it).
  • Is more true* to the original games (aka does not have hunter arts or hunter styles with a more linear single player story line.
  • Cheap. You can find it for $15 (used).
Cons:
  • Not the newest, so support for online is more likely to end before mhg.
  • Does not feature hunter arts (I feel that they are like icing on the cake).
Monster Hunter Generations (MHG):

Pros:
  • The only game with hunter arts and hunting styles.
  • The newest game in the series.
  • More monsters and weapons.
  • You can play as a palico.
  • The most players online (currently).
Cons:
  • Bad framerate at times. Nothing too serious. It only occurs in the hub occasionally if you don't have a n3ds.
  • Not as deep of a single player campaign. Some may disagree, but I found the one in mh4u more enthralling.
  • Most expensive. Costs $25 to $30 (used)
Conclusion:
In conclusion, here are the main reasons to purchase each game(s).

Reasons to buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate:
  • You don't care for online play that much, don't care for the kinsect, and you have only a Wii U. Either that or you're completely broke and just want to play Monster Hunter.
Reasons to buy Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate:
  • You want a decent single player campaign along with decent online play.
Reasons to buy Monster hunter Generations:
  • You want the newest game in the series or you want the implementation of hunter arts/styles.
Monster hunter games don't fall into a one-size-fits-all category, and to put things into perspective, I only named the three newest (English) games, and a new game will come out for the switch eventually (it was seen in the taxi scene of one of the trailers).

Reactions: Marc
Back