Spin Off did Pokemon SMD go too far with the late game plot events for the kids? (story spoilers)

• Thread starter Kadaj
  • Start date
Kadaj

Kadaj

The Masochistic Hardcore Player XP
Towns Folk
while i never got around to getting every legendary pokemon in pokemon super mystery dungeon, i did luckily get my gen 5 favorites and several other cool ones. the one i most likely wont be able to get to is arceus as he requires you to complete every other quest in the game (if i remember right). more time consuming than hard most likely and tough to squeeze in all of this with the new games coming out the way they do. but there is one tiny flaw that im wondering about a bit... was the late game story events with the voidlands a bit too dark/ deep rooted for the younger players? i mean, shadows that come out of the ground like goo and swallow you as if you never existed (to who knows where? we never find out...), false pokemon coming at you doing everything they can to kill you like youre a total monster... and then the dark matter plant bursting the way it did and sending everyone to the voidlands. not to mention the writings about mew being completely powerless to escape on reverse mountain, this might have also been a bit too much for the kids who played or want to play this game

the story is great, i am not saying it wasnt. what im saying is gamefreak mightve made the story in super mystery dungeon a bit too deep rooted for kids. there are a decent handful of kids that this might actually scare.. i think the plot is definitely better than the gates to infinity story was for certain, and while gates to infinity had fun gameplay i feel the story fell a bit flat. but since pokemon is something kids should be able to enjoy as well, there may be a such thing as 'going off the deep end' with plot events so to speak. being an adult i cant 100% imagine how much the above events might scare the younger ones, but i have enough life experience and understanding to imagine some kids might be a bit scared here. anyone else think the story events might be too dark for the kids to handle in super mystery dungeon?

Firstly! gamefreak didn't make mystery dungeon Chunsoft did. many think gamefreak made the mystery dungeon games too but it has been Chunsoft who has made all the pokemon mystery dungeon games which is why i think chunsoft is awesome :3

Secondly! I don't think it was too dark for kids personally but guess its hard for me to tell. i really enjoyed being a part of a school and doing things with them. felt cute and made me not feel like the main character at times. same with my partner. im use to just doing everything with my partner but this time i got tasked to do things with the other class mates and sometimes just not even be with my partner it was pretty awesome. especially the ending that was a big wow that distracts you from yourself as well.

The most dark mystery dungeon game in my opinion would have been gates to infinity. despite it not being the greatest game due to the hardly any pokemon and kinda crappy story and annoying paradise stuff XD (and the only one mission at a time nightmare >~>) like the game literally told you other humans turned into pokemon have been killed and send back to their worlds while at the time you stared at those lights thinking how pretty it was since you were innocent to what it really was. human souls returning from being killed. and then you yourself watch from your own pokemons eyes being beat up and nearly killed as well! plus the betrayal and loneliness and the fact that there is so much HATE and negativity from all the pokemon that the final boss is legit built up from it all its a very depressing story when you look at it.

Super ifeelwas much more kid friendly while also being very loyal to the older fans by having all the returning characters and special moments with them it was sweet to see them again.

Reactions: Marc
Firstly! gamefreak didn't make mystery dungeon Chunsoft did. many think gamefreak made the mystery dungeon games too but it has been Chunsoft who has made all the pokemon mystery dungeon games which is why i think chunsoft is awesome :3

Secondly! I don't think it was too dark for kids personally but guess its hard for me to tell. i really enjoyed being a part of a school and doing things with them. felt cute and made me not feel like the main character at times. same with my partner. im use to just doing everything with my partner but this time i got tasked to do things with the other class mates and sometimes just not even be with my partner it was pretty awesome. especially the ending that was a big wow that distracts you from yourself as well.

The most dark mystery dungeon game in my opinion would have been gates to infinity. despite it not being the greatest game due to the hardly any pokemon and kinda crappy story and annoying paradise stuff XD (and the only one mission at a time nightmare >~>) like the game literally told you other humans turned into pokemon have been killed and send back to their worlds while at the time you stared at those lights thinking how pretty it was since you were innocent to what it really was. human souls returning from being killed. and then you yourself watch from your own pokemons eyes being beat up and nearly killed as well! plus the betrayal and loneliness and the fact that there is so much HATE and negativity from all the pokemon that the final boss is legit built up from it all its a very depressing story when you look at it.

Super ifeelwas much more kid friendly while also being very loyal to the older fans by having all the returning characters and special moments with them it was sweet to see them again.
i honestly enjoyed the gameplay in gates to infinity but i was not happy when i found you couldnt friend kyurem who is my favorite pokemon even after gen 8. i got super mystery dungeon which unfortunately lacked endless missions but being able to use and power up my favorite pokemon was pretty fun and i still play super mystery dungeon sometimes as well for its legendary variety =)

as for the story i wont argue that it did go a bit far compared to super mystery dungeon, but at the same time like everyone getting swallowed alive without a trace of anything? i always felt that would be too much for the younger ones as suspenseful as this section was (also kept me playing until i ran out of time lol). i do agree though it had the better story and pokemon variety than gates to infinity, even if the games overall difficulty was rather unbalanced (especially before post game), i feel they ended up making the story harder (forcing us to keep going and not let us farm or prepare in any way) and the post game made much easier, the only boss that gave me more trouble was reshiram and zekrom (you fight both at the same time!), i mostly powered up starters and did duo runs which was much easier and fun.

if they remake this game i hope they tone down the difficulty a bit or let us take our time, that was one of my only complaints about the game personally. the story was great though, and i think it was good that where the pokemon swallowed by void shadows ended up was unspecified, i think thats for the better since kids should be able to enjoy the game

yeah i agree, super was harder but that made me enjoy it XD plus yeah it did feel forced at times while jumping to the next bit without having time to stay strong yourself. as for the being swallowed up and stuff it would have been scary as a kid yeah hoping it doesn't happen to you either. but definitely good it didn't go into detail of what was actually happening.

Back