Did we just see the new NX controller in the Star Fox Zero animated short?

• Thread starter TheYESDragon
  • Start date
TheYESDragon

TheYESDragon

Find Your Warrior
Towns Folk
Hey, everyone. I saw this on /r/nintendonx and it turns out that in the Star Fox Zero animated short (I don't know where you can even find this, I haven't seen it myself) but there was a short glimpse of a controller in there and did Nintendo just throw that in to get us speculating?

M3OIHj2.png

Another picture a fan drew of what he thinks this could look like:

SVeHFS9.jpg

I'm thinking something like this could actually be the case. This looks like a very unrefined version of what the controller would be like but the real controller could very well even be a normal controller that can attach a smartphone on top to act as the 'second screen', kinda like a hybrid between the 3DS and Wii U's Gamepad. This would also allow Nintendo to give a normal controller the option to use a Gamepad-esque second screen without having the high costs of an actual big gamepad, so I like it.

Here's another photo of a similar controller that could hold the smartphone:
Mobilegear-iPega-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mobile-SDL711372530-1-0fd3f.jpg

My only concerns are how would it actually give the smartphone the display (as it would likely require a very good processing speed), whether it really grip the smartphone that well to make sure it won't break and well, the overall ergonomics of the controller look flawed.

Keep in mind that it IS a very strange idea and that this is far from confirmed but it would make sense for the NX controller to look something like this, especially when you consider that there are large rumours of it being a hybrid, a lot of people have smartphones (and Nintendo seem keen to push it) and it would keep costs down if they wish to try and do something very Gamepad-like.

Thoughts?

It looks VERY ugly. What are those grey tentacles/holds for?? Why the retro-colours? What's up with the very thick screen? That being said, in a more refined form it also looks like a lot of fun. If it uses the motion sensors of the Wii family it could turn out very neat.

I don't think it can hold a smartphone though, that seems very far-fetched and the space at the bottom of the controllers is far too small. Besides, with all the different sizes of smartphones, it wouldn't be very practical. And sales-wise, it wouldn't be like Nintendo to not sell the whole package at once.

Reactions: G MAN
I kinda sorta liked the design shown in the Star Fox Zero short. It could be refined nicely into a proper console/controller.

In fact, I would totally love it if it turnes out to be the actual console :D if you've read any of my rants here about how the NX should be a portable console with the specs of a current generation home console, that can optionally connect to TV, you'd understand :p

I kinda sorta liked the design shown in the Star Fox Zero short. It could be refined nicely into a proper console/controller.

In fact, I would totally love it if it turnes out to be the actual console :D if you've read any of my rants here about how the NX should be a portable console with the specs of a current generation home console, that can optionally connect to TV, you'd understand :p
Yes but what are those grey thingies?? Any idea?

Mmmm, you got me o_O maybe something to put it on a stand? Or maybe it's just for the short xD?

Eww... Am I the only one who hates that design? Looks like it can break real easily.

Eww... Am I the only one who hates that design? Looks like it can break real easily.
It looks interesting but ugly. I doubt it will break easily, this is Nintendo we're talking about. My 3DS had survived things I couldn't even imagine. But it really needs some work since it just doesn't look as sleek as it could look.

It looks interesting but ugly. I doubt it will break easily, this is Nintendo we're talking about. My 3DS had survived things I couldn't even imagine. But it really needs some work since it just doesn't look as sleek as it could look.
No worries, it certainly is not going to be that weird U shaped controller. For once, I want a cool looking, maybe slightly gimmicky normal controller.

Mobilegear-iPega-Wireless-Bluetooth-Mobile-SDL711372530-1-0fd3f.jpg

I actually think they will go for something similar to this controller. It looks quite normal, removing the need for a 'pro controller' whilst keeping the second display by using a smartphone, which pretty much everyone will have, lowering the costs.

I'm not so hyped about the controller holding the smartphone. The other controller looks like a PS4 controller gone wrong and easily breakable. I think I preferred the Wii U controllers.

The other one looks like an XBox controller that can hold a mobile. Maybe the mobile thing is good if Nintendo makes it correctly, but for now its quite underwhelming, in my opinion.

The fan design was simply horrible. Is that what you call "better than the Wii U"? I'm getting hyped about the NX but if the design would be like that, no thank you.

I'm not so hyped about the controller holding the smartphone. The other controller looks like a PS4 controller gone wrong and easily breakable. I think I preferred the Wii U controllers.

The other one looks like an XBox controller that can hold a mobile. Maybe the mobile thing is good if Nintendo makes it correctly, but for now its quite underwhelming, in my opinion.
That is only a rumour though. It would be pretty cool but until now no final design has been released. You probably saw a fan design. And those are always better. :p

Back