Differences between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I know the game isn't coming out till later this month for the Nintendo Switch, but did Nintendo reveal anything about the differences between Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

When I first heard about it, it just seemed like add-on content to Mario Kart 8.

So far I know the following :
  • It will have a lot more racing tracks when compared to previous MK games.
  • You can hold two items at once - kind of gives me the MK Double Dash vibe.
I'm hoping it's a lot different since it'll be on sale for $60 US.

There's also new/returning charcters from past mario karts. Inkling boy and girl, boo and dry bones.
Brand new battle mode with new battle mode maps. 5 modes in battle mode, one being new: Renegade Roundup, which is just cops and robbers.
Also the feather I team and boo item return which weren't in mk8,
Hope this helped:)

I think it's also worth a mention that Dry Bones and Gold Mario are returning as playable character as well, and speaking of Battle Modes, there are some stages exclusive to it, notably Urchin Underpass and those modeled after several Mario Kart stages. Apparently Smart Steering is also a new feature in the game, as well. Some may think the latter is for beginners to make sure they're not off the track.

It's also going to contain both DLC packs from MK8 from what I've heard. So maybe it might have DLCs of its own.

To me, it kinda sounds like how MK8 should have been, with the battle arenas and more characters since I thought MK8 was a little bit lacking.

Apparently Smart Steering is also a new feature in the game, as well. Some may think the latter is for beginners to make sure they're not off the track.

Smart steering? I've not heard about that but it does sound like something that beginners would use. I think that could be something like how the bullet bill power up works, but more you controll it. If it's too helpful I could see it getting abused in online matches though honestly.

Wait a second! You are saying that mario kart 8 deluxe will have new race tracks? So that they will be different from the ones in mario kart 8? But where did you get that info from? As far as I know, the new stuff is: new playable characters, the two ítems to use on race and the new upgraded battle mode. Well, if this is true, I mean, if there are going to be new race tracks for the game, that makes it totally worth buying!

Wait a second! You are saying that mario kart 8 deluxe will have new race tracks? So that they will be different from the ones in mario kart 8? But where did you get that info from? As far as I know, the new stuff is: new playable characters, the two ítems to use on race and the new upgraded battle mode. Well, if this is true, I mean, if there are going to be new race tracks for the game, that makes it totally worth buying!

There will be no new race tracks in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. There will only be new battle tracks, those being:
  • Battle Stadium
  • Sweet Sweet Kingdom
  • Dragon Palace
  • Lunar Colony
  • Urchin Underpass
  • Wuhu Town (3DS)
  • Luigi’s Mansion (GCN)
  • Battle Course 1 (SNES)

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "the two items to use on race", but just to clarify:
There will now be two item slots like in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, and there will also be two new items (new to MK8, from old Mario Kart games), being the Feather (battle mode only) and Boo to steal powerups.

Reactions: EstebanTill2
Here are the differences i can name from the top of my head:
- higher resolution and framerate (720p 59fps < 1080p 60fps)
- New characters (inklings, king boo and dry bones)
- DLC packs from MK8WiiU included
- Revamped battle mode
- Two new items
- Can now change karts in between online matches without quitting
- New purple mini turbo
- Can now brake while drifting
- The Crazy 8's logo has been changed
- New title screens
- New features such as auto accelerate and smart steering for younger/ less advanced players
- Can now do 200cc in time trials
- Double item boxes
- Gold mario unlockable for reaching gold on all 200cc cups
- Everything unlocked from the beginning (minus karts and parts, which have to be unlocked via coins)
- New Fidget spinner mode if you get three stars on every cup and reach 5000VR in online. Let's the characters use fidget spinners as items which will act like a mixture between the Bowser Shell from MKdouble dash and the Boomerang flower.

There is also a little tutorial menu for things like boost start, drifting etc

Here are the differences i can name from the top of my head:
- higher resolution and framerate (720p 59fps < 1080p 60fps)
- New characters (inklings, king boo and dry bones)
- DLC packs from MK8WiiU included
- Revamped battle mode
- Two new items
- Can now change karts in between online matches without quitting
- New purple mini turbo
- Can now brake while drifting
- The Crazy 8's logo has been changed
- New title screens
- New features such as auto accelerate and smart steering for younger/ less advanced players
- Can now do 200cc in time trials
- Double item boxes
- Gold mario unlockable for reaching gold on all 200cc cups
- Everything unlocked from the beginning (minus karts and parts, which have to be unlocked via coins)
- New Fidget spinner mode if you get three stars on every cup and reach 5000VR in online. Let's the characters use fidget spinners as items which will act like a mixture between the Bowser Shell from MKdouble dash and the Boomerang flower.

There is also a little tutorial menu for things like boost start, drifting etc

What is "Battle Mode"?

That fidget spinner mode is really cool!

I was lying about the fidget spinner mode...

Back