• Thread starter sonicandres1
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
sonicandres1

sonicandres1

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
So, I bought mario kart 8 about a week ago and set the game aside in order to focus on my studies. However, when I got a recent chance to play it, I inserted the game onto my wii u and before you know it, my wii u had downloaded and installed the latest update data for it. Unfortunately, when it came time for the game to load, the screen on both the gamepad and screen were both stuck on the loading/transitional screen (mk8 logo). The disk has black spots on the inner parts but they are small and looks like they are not cleanable by regular means. Maybe a disk cleaner is what it needs but I'm not sure. Also, another layer of the disk(inner white) is somewhat lopsided to one side. If you have any information please help me out. Thanks

Did you buy the game from a retailer? Or online?

If the game was bought from the store I think you can trade it in for another one.

Does it look like this?

375px-Disc_rot.jpg

I purchased it from my local flea market. The seller said it came with a 2 week warranty, but you can never be so sure on that. I added a picture for details. If you can look closely, you can notice some small black marks as well as the lopsided white small layer also found in the center. I'm not sure if these are somewhat common or if this is a rare occasion. Let me know if you can see it. Thanks again.IMG_6407.JPG

Damaged disc

Return it and get a refund

I purchased it from my local flea market. The seller said it came with a 2 week warranty, but you can never be so sure on that. I added a picture for details. If you can look closely, you can notice some small black marks as well as the lopsided white small layer also found in the center. I'm not sure if these are somewhat common or if this is a rare occasion. Let me know if you can see it. Thanks again.View attachment 10268

I was looking into last night, the black spots that appear on CDs they call it disk rot, it happens when the CD comes in contact with in the air due to the thin covering on the backside being faulty.

They use some chemical on the back of the CD that is supposed to keep it from getting damaged or for disk rot to happen.

I would try the scratch repair stuff they sell and see if that works to get the game to play.

Reactions: sonicandres1
I agree it does look like disc rot. Which game retailer did you get it from?(If you did) Also I think if you get a hold of Nintendo and talk to them about it since technically speaking if it is disc rot it should be covered under faulty equipment/assembly, they should send you a new one. I know when my Pokémon X game didn't work and the cartridges metal pieces looked really funny I got a hold of them. They sent me a box and I mailed them the cartridge and they replaced it with a new one cause the cartridge hadent been assembled the right way

Reactions: sonicandres1
I agree it does look like disc rot. Which game retailer did you get it from?(If you did) Also I think if you get a hold of Nintendo and talk to them about it since technically speaking if it is disc rot it should be covered under faulty equipment/assembly, they should send you a new one. I know when my Pokémon X game didn't work and the cartridges metal pieces looked really funny I got a hold of them. They sent me a box and I mailed them the cartridge and they replaced it with a new one cause the cartridge hadent been assembled the right way
Would it be alright with Nintendo if I told them I bought it from the flea market? And how much would it cost to get a replacement from them or to get it fixed?

I was looking into last night, the black spots that appear on CDs they call it disk rot, it happens when the CD comes in contact with in the air due to the thin covering on the backside being faulty.

They use some chemical on the back of the CD that is supposed to keep it from getting damaged or for disk rot to happen.

I would try the scratch repair stuff they sell and see if that works to get the game to play.
How much does the "scratch repair stuff" or "chemical" cost and what brand should I buy? What will work best for wii u games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would it be alright with Nintendo if I told them I bought it from the flea market? And how much would it cost to get a replacement from them or to get it fixed?
hmm that's good question. I'm not entirely sure but I do know that with a little complaining(meaning if someone tells you they cant do anything ask to speak to their manager and so on) they should look at your case as individual instead of broad category. I had to do that with my 2ds when it broke because some maid at a hotel broke it while I was at management training and the hotel refused to pay to have it fixed.

hmm that's good question. I'm not entirely sure but I do know that with a little complaining(meaning if someone tells you they cant do anything ask to speak to their manager and so on) they should look at your case as individual instead of broad category. I had to do that with my 2ds when it broke because some maid at a hotel broke it while I was at management training and the hotel refused to pay to have it fixed.
Thanks for the advice. I've heard that complaining consistently will get you known in the big companies when you call them. Maybe I'll call them up or I'll check how to get rid of disc rot first, because I really want a new game to play. I need to find out what will work because lens cleaner isn't doing the job. I have some gamestop disk repair, but I have no idea where I left it. I'll look for that meanwhile.

Reactions: mchristiansen
Thanks for the advice. I've heard that complaining consistently will get you known in the big companies when you call them. Maybe I'll call them up or I'll check how to get rid of disc rot first, because I really want a new game to play. I need to find out what will work because lens cleaner isn't doing the job. I have some gamestop disk repair, but I have no idea where I left it. I'll look for that meanwhile.
That sounds like an excellent plan. Let me know how it goes.

That sounds like an excellent plan. Let me know how it goes.
Well, I tried using the GameStop disk repair, but no luck. I read the details on the bottle, and it said it was meant to fix scratches, which didn't help me. My local craiglist website has a listing for mario kart 8 and he's asking $40. I figured I might as well get that because by the time I do call nintendo, I'll have to send the game in (waiting) and wait for a replacement (more waiting). I usually don't mind waiting, but if I wait for games, I tend to forget about them when they arrive and set them aside for a while. I don't want that to happen to mario kart, especially because I'm a fan of some racing games like that. I still don't have a strong suggestion, so let me know if you have an option. I guess I wouldn't mind ebay if it gets to that point. I just want something that's cheap; I'm sorta on a budget.

If u just got the game fresh and u get that error, chances are it's not your fault. Games always come dirty or scratched from the game case. Especially with nintendo. It happened to me with smash.

Hello everyone,

I recently sold the disc to gamestop for a good 26 dollars. The next day I went with my dad to the pawn shop, and I asked to see the wii u games. Sure enough, I saw a copy for 15 bucks and decided to get it. Problem's solved for me, at least. I also got sonic lost world (deadly six edition shiny case) in mint condition and smash4 to sell. Great games, especially for the low prices. I'll probably sell smash to gamestop, If not I can gift it.

Hello everyone,

I recently sold the disc to gamestop for a good 26 dollars. The next day I went with my dad to the pawn shop, and I asked to see the wii u games. Sure enough, I saw a copy for 15 bucks and decided to get it. Problem's solved for me, at least. I also got sonic lost world (deadly six edition shiny case) in mint condition and smash4 to sell. Great games, especially for the low prices. I'll probably sell smash to gamestop, If not I can gift it.
sell to ebay, you can get more moneys, and you sold a broken game to gamestop i am so proud of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back