Disney Infinity Has Been Cancelled

• Thread starter TheYESDragon
  • Start date
TheYESDragon

TheYESDragon

Find Your Warrior
Towns Folk
Several years ago, Disney launched the Disney Infinity initiative, a long-term project that aimed to incorporate all kinds of different Disney characters and IP under one video game property. Later on, this also saw the inclusion of characters from the Marvel universe and the Star Wars universe, expanding the scope even further. Unfortunately, the toys-to-life concept began seeing diminishing returns late last year, and the writing was on the wall when it was announced that there would be no Disney Infinity 4.0 this year.

It's finally been confirmed that, effective immediately, Disney Infinity is no more. John Blackburn – the GM of Disney Infinity – wrote a farewell letter about the project, reiterating that after the content from Alice Through the Looking Glass and Finding Dory is released, Disney Infinity will be over. Evidently, this also means that the Rogue One Play Sets that were in the works will never see release. Moreover, it seems that this signals the end of Disney's direct involvement in video games. Though the company will still be licensing out IP, it will no longer be publishing games, and Avalanche Software – the developer of Disney Infinity – is being closed down, putting roughly 300 employees out of work.

What do you think? Will you miss Disney Infinity? Is the toys-to-life market finally nearing its end? Drop us a comment in the section below.

[via disneyinteractive.com, gamesindustry.biz]

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/disney_infinity_has_been_cancelled

Hmm, it looks like what could have been one of Disney's biggest cash cow games is now over, and now the game series which has been on Wii U, Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC is now gone.

Thoughts?

YYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSSSS YESSSSSSSSS Dragon. I'm happy to see this go, I'm probably one of the 0.0000000000001% percent of people that want to see this go. I don't know how good the game is or how much people like it. In my opinion it's a rip off like Skylanders. I currently have mixed opinions about Amiibos

Never liked Disney Infinity in the least anyway.

Reactions: Natsu Swagneel and Theresia
Kinda sad for the employees to be unemployed because of this. Might as well get the inside out figures now. I dunno about the gameplay in Disney Infinity but I guess amiibo-ready games in Nintendo games are more likeable than in Infinity.

PAAARRRRRTTTYYYYY!!!! I mean... Ahem...

It's a shame about the people who've lost their jobs, but honestly I'm glad to see the franchise go. 3.0 (Without limits(Yet it has so many limits it was past the point of being hillarious..)) killed it for everyone. The 'free' game was the most P2W game I have ever seen. It got to the point where it was a cash grab that was easy enough to make.

From what I see, it's litually just a rip-off of the Skylanders franchise, but just a whole lot more restricting. Personally, I have no played infinity, just what tiny excuse for a 'game' they called the base game for 3.0 and that was horrible. I own skylanders giants along with quite a few figures and I highly enjoyed maxing out every single one of them and I prefered the look of the figures as well! I've not played it in ages though but I might go back to it.

Amiibo's are so much better then the figures because they can be used in so many different ways + Amiibos look so much better in my opinion..

Reactions: Theresia, Blue Knight, Marc and 1 other person
I feel sorry for the poor fired emplyees and their families, but I couldn't care less for the game itself.
I'm not interested in both Disney Infinity and Skylanders and I see them both as cashcows - together with Amiibos - but I surely appreciate Skylanders for being the first ones to introduce, or - at least - make streamline, this toy + videogame, and Nintendo for using them in a clever and not forcing way; I mean, none of the game I have really needs one if not for some extra.
But I didn't see so much originality in Disney Infinity. :(

Reactions: Blue Knight and 28142
Despite what everyone said about the game, I quite enjoyed it. The toys were nowhere near as necessary as Skylanders or even LEGO Dimensions to get a grasp on what the game was about. By the second and third games, the toys were more or less optional, you could use one or two characters and unlike the vast majority of the game. I used to like playing as the Star Wars characters. The combat was actually pretty interesting in the last game, and there was platforming.

It was a lot more than a toys-to-life game. Actually, the focus was on the sandbox mode, which played kind of like Minecraft, I suppose. Except... well, I've never played Minecraft, so I can't compare but I found the sandbox mode to be pretty fun. The Adventure Sets or whatever they called the, Inside Out and such, were little more than add-ons. I found IO's set to actually be quite a fun little platformer, personally.

Out of the three main competitors of toys-to-life - Skylanders, Disney Infinity, LEGO Dimensions - I'd say DI was objectively the best due to how toys weren't entirely necessary and the overall mechanics of the game were a lot more in-depth than the other two. Not exactly AAA but certainly better than the other cash grabs. I'm not counting amiibo here, since they're a special case as they're not limited to a specific game.

Back