Ditto as competitive battling

• Thread starter Hikki
  • Start date
Hikki

Hikki

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
Why in the world would you ever use Ditto on a Team for competitive battling? If you attach it with quick powder(Doubles ditto's speed before transformation) you might get a chance, but you would most likely be fainted before even got a chance to use a move after transformation. Does any anyone do this though? I have a shiny one with the impostor ability, but that doesn't help much though.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform

Ditto is actually competitively viable, it can be used to scout move sets, revenge kill or even copy a Pokemon stat boosts and sweep. Ditto is the sole reason why some players will run Frustration over Return, as it could potentially cripple Ditto's offensive capabilities after it uses Imposter.

My main problem with ditto is that ditto doesn't really fit well on most teams. Ditto has lots of potential on stall teams because he can steal boosts from setup sweepers. Ditto can also be a great revenge killer if you know how to use him. Ditto's only viable set is imposter + choice scarf. Nothing is really bad about ditto, its just that ditto can usually be replaced by something better, something that adds to your teams synergy.

However, ditto can be great on a stall team. Usually, stall teams get beat by set up sweepers. Quagsire can usually deal with set up sweepers pretty well, but ditto is a nice option for revenge killing. Imposter will steel stat boosts and the scarf will guarantee that you will be faster.

I tried to use a ditto one time and got 1hko'd

Twas fun. I think the team @Lios mentioned would be able to work. People don't use ditto in general because another pokemon with better synergy could be added instead as @cuberandgamer had said.

I wouldn't use a ditto cause I find it unreliable, But I guess some people can pull it off successfully.

I like using a Ditto once the opponent's Pokemon has significant stat boosts, and is paralyzed or confused, or has low enough health to the point where taking a hit won't matter, and it dies, leaving you with the stat boosts. Although, Dittos only have like 8 PP per copied move, I think? So it doesn't last long unless you can end it quickly. But this is just coming from my experiences with Ditto on Pokemon Showdown. I haven't had many competitive battles with one in an actual game.

If you do give a choice scarf to a ditto, it can be a pretty good revenge killer. I don't like it that much, but its not a horrible Pokemon and can be used on some teams.

I once 1v1'd a friend on Pokemon Showdown, I spent so much time into a personal team that had coverage for its own typing and it's main offenders. My friend ran a full ditto team with choice scarf and destroyed me. Ditto is good to troll someone, but not much beyond that for competitive use.

I once 1v1'd a friend on Pokemon Showdown, I spent so much time into a personal team that had coverage for its own typing and it's main offenders. My friend ran a full ditto team with choice scarf and destroyed me. Ditto is good to troll someone, but not much beyond that for competitive use.
Yeah, I don't think that Ditto is good even with quick powder + Imposter. :p You couldn't outspeed a choice scarf user and it is way too risky for me to do that. Plus they have a chance to preview your team so it would be kinda obvious for Imposter sometimes because they can see the last Pokemon in the party, remember it, and then just ue that to their advantage :(

Ditto is really a nice Pokemon for use but the problem is that the probability of being able to conduct a competitive play is quite scarce as Ditto sometimes depends on certain factors for it to be effective . I personally would not recommend Ditto in competitive play as the risks are too high . I don't think Ditto works well in any team either :/

Ditto is competitively viable and can work well as a "glue" for offensive teams that are weak to set up sweepers, it can easily come on threats in the Ubers tier like Xerneas or Arceus and precede to sweep the opposing team.

Ditto is competitively viable and can work well as a "glue" for offensive teams that are weak to set up sweepers, it can easily come on threats in the Ubers tier like Xerneas or Arceus and precede to sweep the opposing team.
True but I am not playing on Ubers and also it is also to risky because you could get OHKO'ed by a legend if it turned out to be super-effective. If you were facinga legend like Xerneas they might use Gemonacy and it would be all over :/

True but I am not playing on Ubers and also it is also to risky because you could get OHKO'ed by a legend if it turned out to be super-effective. If you were facinga legend like Xerneas they might use Gemonacy and it would be all over :/
You come in with Ditto on Xerneas after it has already used Geomancy and because Ditto is Scarfed, it'll outspeed and potentially sweep the opponent's team.

You come in with Ditto on Xerneas after it has already used Geomancy and because Ditto is Scarfed, it'll outspeed and potentially sweep the opponent's team.
Wait, why don't you just use Quick Powder instead of choice scarf? I think that it would be better to Quick Powder because usually you don't want to be confined to one move after transforming. Quick Powder can just ensure safety outspeeding while transforming.

Wait, why don't you just use Quick Powder instead of choice scarf? I think that it would be better to Quick Powder because usually you don't want to be confined to one move after transforming. Quick Powder can just ensure safety outspeeding while transforming.
Quick Powder boosts Ditto's speed and thus doesn't work after it transforms into another Pokemon, Choice Scarf is Ditto's only option.

Quick Powder boosts Ditto's speed and thus doesn't work after it transforms into another Pokemon, Choice Scarf is Ditto's only option.
yeah but I don't like my chances even more with choice scarf. I don't need to outspeed with ditto and using ditto is risky enough, I don't want to use increase my chances of riskiness. :p Usually it doesn't work for me in showdown so I'm not going to use Ditto at all :panda:

Back