Do I need the gamepad?

• Thread starter saltypepper
  • Start date
saltypepper

saltypepper

asian dude
Towns Folk
If you have been reading my posts, you will see that my gamepad's LCD screen is pretty much broken, the display is weird, it looks cracked, but only when you turn it on, if off, it looks good as new.

Now the problem, will I need the gamepad to access important things? The controls still work, so I guess that's good. So am I fine, or should I try my best to fix it?

You should run a sensitivity test on your touch screen. Try to calibrate it and see how it feels. If your touch screen doesn't work at all, you'll have to do without some games' features related to that, but nothing that could prevent you completely from playing. It's still annoying though. You won't be able to use it as a screen to play without a TV either =/

The touch screen still works, just the display is messed up.

Now the problem, will I need the gamepad to access important things? The controls still work, so I guess that's good. So am I fine, or should I try my best to fix it?
I guess you're fine if you do not have or do not plan to get games that require the use of the GamePad, of course, assuming that you have a television screen that has already been hooked up to the console. When setting up the Wii U, some of the setup instructions are only displayed on the GamePad, so that's something to take note of.

Nintendo Land for example needs it to play the game. Other than that, you may need it to see where the keys of the on-screen keyboard are when using the Internet browser, typing in your details such as Nintendo Network ID and password, etc.

You should also try to see if you can navigate around the eShop, system settings and the home menu too.

Reactions: Mikaya
One of the first things that I asked myself when I got the Wii U was whether or not I could operate the console entirely without the game pad, however I quickly became aware that you cannot. As Marc said, there are certain things that you just can't do with the game pad.

I highly recommend checking out the resources found on Google -- They will show you what you can and can't do without the game pad.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...2&ie=UTF-8#q=how to use wii u without gamepad

Reactions: Mikaya
I guess you're fine if you do not have or do not plan to get games that require the use of the GamePad, of course, assuming that you have a television screen that has already been hooked up to the console. When setting up the Wii U, some of the setup instructions are only displayed on the GamePad, so that's something to take note of.

Nintendo Land for example needs it to play the game. Other than that, you may need it to see where the keys of the on-screen keyboard are when using the Internet browser, typing in your details such as Nintendo Network ID and password, etc.

You should also try to see if you can navigate around the eShop, system settings and the home menu too.

Also, it depends on the controller used for some "buttons", using a Wiimote might cause the keyboard to pop up on the screen instead of the GamePad. But overall, considering you're in the same case as me, I suggest you to avoid games that exploit the GamePad's screen too much until you can get a fixed one. If you feel like you'll be prompted to enter something, grab a Wiimote, and do it the old Wii way. Otherwise, browsing on stuff like the eShop or the Wii U menu is still possible with the Wiimote as well.

But yep, as Marc said, many many applications on the Wii U (Settings, Mii Editor...) requires the GamePad, so, you're dead on that for now, unless if you memorized where to touch to access stuff you need to change (Trust me, even if you know, it's still a pain).

Last edited:
Your Gamepad seems to be fine, if only the display is what's messed up. If it was me I'd probably get a new GamePad because I usually I'm unable to use the TV Screen because my family hogs the TV all day so the Gamepad is to suffice >.> And if the Touch Screen seems to be working fine then there doesn't seem to be any reason to replace it yet. Your Gamepad is currently fine, just don't use it too roughly, just a side note.

Yeah, almost all games need the wii u gamepad unfortunately.

Back