Do you guys want magazines/guides/manuals back?

• Thread starter Artisan
  • Start date

Well do you punk?

• What was the question?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Artisan

Artisan

Hard At Work
Forum Moderator
Sitting in my room I have so many guides ranging from maps, artwork, and, a hefty amount of Pokemon data. It's really nice and all and sure it takes up space but you can still practically take it everywhere, whereas online guides can be dated and depending on the game it's really a whole lot better just to look up a video and do the same thing yourself. Doesn't that really take the fun out of it? Instead of manuals in games you can face a torrent of tutorials that may or may not help (especially in fighting games). Do you think getting an official guide or magazine on the subject enhance the game aside from finding directions from anyone else?

For example:
You know the Pokemon type chart that changes every so often and looking for weaknesses of Pokemon with two types well you can search it online and hopefully your mid battle online and you can look that up before attacking but then you realize it's Gen 5 and that means Metagross isn't weak to Dark yet so you have to be super specific on which game.

Now that's an odd example but RPGs tend to be more on the technical side.

But Artisan guides for Pokemon don't include base stats yeah I really hate that and a lot of pages there is stuff you can already figure out and don't really need like story elements. Sure you made your point but as a reference it's way easier to find information.

But Artisan it costs money to get one of those and I can get that stuff for free using McDonald's wifi. Yeah but if your home and you don't want so many tabs it just helps okay. You don't need it but it's there and very convenient if the guide is done right. If games were more in-depth and included a guide that didn't reveal everything and spoil the game but hinted where to go when you're lost they are worth the effort of existing. Yeah they are expensive to make and some overlap each other when it comes to what information they have and not everyone wants a guide because they are a pro gamer. Yes games have maps now but do they tell you where every item in the game is?

How did you know if you wanted a game? Guides help. Then there's magazines with reviews with them. Anybody remember these? It's all online and everyone is online and nobody wants to buy another piece of paper that tells them their games they want (on a casual perspective) is either good or bad. Most people don't bother to read the reviews and get the game anyways because they know that's Mario, that's Mega Man, that's Pikachu. Sure there's that, but if you are a gamer, you gotta know these things right? You don't have money to travel somewhere and test it unless you have that one rich friend if they have time.

Manuals are just free. No forced tutorials please I know enough of the game because I know how to read. They might even have a monetary value too.

So go on and tell me what you think and say you really miss a printed piece of paper. Or not in which case why :eyes2:

Reactions: Jisenku
I know this is a old post but it had 0 replies so im gonna give it one. I personally really liked the guide books and magazines all that stuff. felt amazing having the pokemon poxedex book in my hands and just looking at the pokemon pictures and getting some nice information about them and some quick facts about them. yeah nothing like you would from the internet now but nothing beats having a book in hand with something you love in it. It's sad cause pokemon still kinda do it now but i can never convince myself to buy them cause yeah its just easier and free to just in 5 seconds search what i need on the internet but idk, in the future i reckon ill buy another one of those pokemon guidebooks or pokemon fact books just because they are super awesome.

In fact! i actually bought one for the spyro reignited trilogy! even though i played the originals a million times and the remaster lots i loved spyro so much that this year i bought a spyro reignited trilogy book about the game just to see pictures and fun facts about the game its lovely ^-^

Reactions: Jisenku and Artisan
I like the little booklets or cards that come with games because they are really neat to look at over the years after buying a certain game like 5 or 10 years back or something. The little collectibles you can get with a game is pretty neat imo.

Reactions: Artisan
Back