Do you prioritise attack, speed of defence?

• Thread starter Crowing
  • Start date

Which values do you prefer?

• Total voters
Crowing

Crowing

World Ender
Towns Folk
Usually, games will have three main factors for their combat system, with additional statistics (e.g. range, dexterity, intelligence) varying by game. These three statistics offer vastly different playstyles depending on which one is more prominent.

-Attack determines how much damage you can deal to your opponents
-Speed determines how quickly you can move
-Defence determines how much damage you can take

Which of these is more important to you in a game? Do you prefer to play it safe by focusing on defence, or instead hone your skill to instead become accustomed to the perhaps riskier speed-focused playstyle?

I like to focus on attack primarily, speed secondarily, since I often have an aggressive playstyle.

Additionally, if it is available in the game, do you like to focus on ranged or support (healing) abilities as well? The former would help to attack foes from a distance, often with limitations compared to close attacks, while the latter can help form unique synergy in RPGs or help your friends in online play.

Reactions: Mizunil
I usually favor defense. Games are not as fun especially for me if I die repeatedly so anything to keep me alive! Lol

I usually favor defense. Games are not as fun especially for me if I die repeatedly so anything to keep me alive! Lol

Some games I've played seem to make it near impossible to die unless you actively go out of your way for it, so in games like those, defence is always a dump stat for me. Still, it's quite nice in some instances to make yourself into a complete tank and slowly chip away at your enemy, I've found this to be quite effective and often hilarious - keep a few healing items handy and you can spend half an hour against a boss that would otherwise dominate you.

Ranged is also fun for achieving a similar result. Since some bosses are incapable of attacking you from a distance, especially early into most games, you can strike them from afar with low-damage weapons or attacks for copious amounts of time as well, watching them struggle helplessly as you watch them struggle to move from their starting position and fall short of you with their terrible attack range. This is always fun to execute.

I've chased bosses around the map on a few occasions if both my speed and range is high enough.

Reactions: Duffy
I'd say speed and then defense giving me the most chances to play passive aggressive. If I only had one stat however it would be defense. These archetypes do exist but they aren't very common. It's like Hippowdon with Trick Room up or Gliscor/Skarmory basically tearing you to bits. In fighting games this is basically Sonic (Smash) or Kaya (Brawlhalla). Also keep in mind if you have higher attack you might have lower health or defense stats to compensate.

My answer really varies on the game for me.

For Splatoon, I'd say attack 1st, and speed 2nd. That's a game where deaths and combat can happen very quickly, so mobility and awareness are really important for that. If you're playing a long range weapon like a Hydra or Charger, I would say offense and defense will switch in priority depending on the situation (this can apply to any weapon, but not often). But in my case -- I use close-mid range weapons like the Inkbrush and Roller, so offense is my best defense.

Whereas if we were talking about a game like FE, (I haven't played too much) I would pick defense. Deaths are permanent so I'd rather go through chapters slowly and have a safe defense, one slip up in my game can mean having to restart a battle. Having a good defense and healers really help reduce that from happening, defense can be the best offense and vice versa.

Generally, I go for the mid range and more defensive options in games. But my playstyle will usually change once I realize how to properly play the game and use what I enjoy.

Back